Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Dec 2, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #482 of 520
OPPO doesn't have one (yet) but has anyone rack mounted their unit? Without voiding warranty? I was thinking more than just a shelf. A CNC cut 3U/4U plate?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #483 of 520
Reclocker such as uptone ISO Regen vs USB-to-coax converter such as Schiit EITR? Any opinions?

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #485 of 520
I use a Schitt Wyrd and a Gustard U11. Im sure the EITR would be similar or better performance.

U12?

And you’re using both? Wyred feeding Gustard?

What I was really wondering is whether one of the two inputs is significantly better than the other, given equal quality signals.

Does the Wyred/Gustard combo sound better than the Wyred directly into the Sonica via USB?

Jan 28, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #486 of 520
U12?

And you’re using both? Wyred feeding Gustard?

What I was really wondering is whether one of the two inputs is significantly better than the other, given equal quality signals.

Does the Wyred/Gustard combo sound better than the Wyred directly into the Sonica via USB?

Sorry U12. Yes, the Wyrd feeding the Gustard and it has always sounded better than feeding usb directly to any one of my dacs . I dont have the Sonica because I got tired if the ESS sound. My fav dacs are based on the pcm1792, pcm1704uk, and AKM chips. I do have other Oppo equipment (ha1,95,105) and they all benefit from from the Wyrd usb isolation. Computer usb ports are extremely noisy and need isolation before going into a converter. Although the newer dacs have jitter reduction, a converter with tcxo low phase jitter clocks has always made the sound more coherent from my experience.

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #487 of 520
Sorry U12. Yes, the Wyrd feeding the Gustard and it has always sounded better than feeding usb directly to any one of my dacs . I dont have the Sonica because I got tired if the ESS sound. My fav dacs are based on the pcm1792, pcm1704uk, and AKM chips. I do have other Oppo equipment (ha1,95,105) and they all benefit from from the Wyrd usb isolation. Computer usb ports are extremely noisy and need isolation before going into a converter. Although the newer dacs have jitter reduction, a converter with tcxo low phase jitter clocks has always made the sound more coherent from my experience.

Yes, I get that computer USB needs help. What I’m wondering about is the relative benefits of USB de-crapifying vs conversion of USB to coax (or Optical) since the Sonica has all those inputs, although not AES/BU :triportsad:

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #489 of 520
I just got one of these in from Oppo (refurbished) and it has USB firmware version USB-0111. This is newer than the version listed on the site (0110). I'm curious what the difference is.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #490 of 520
Looks like the Sonica DAC is discontinued. I guess gapless over network and the front usb ain't coming

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #491 of 520
Hi anyone did compare Oppo Sonica with Cambridge CXN ? Talking about soundstage, transparency, clean sound.
Cheers
I had the Sonica but sold it once I heard it against the Cambridge 851N ( very similar to Cxn). It was superior in all 3 of those areas imo. The biggest advantage was the pace and timing of the Cambridge that made it so much more musical sounding. I sold the Sonica immediately. I’m not trashing the Sonica by any means. Just praising the Cambridge. It’s been a good six months since owning the Cambridge. It just keeps delivering and I have no desire to sell it.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #492 of 520
I had the Sonica but sold it once I heard it against the Cambridge 851N ( very similar to Cxn). It was superior in all 3 of those areas imo. The biggest advantage was the pace and timing of the Cambridge that made it so much more musical sounding. I sold the Sonica immediately. I’m not trashing the Sonica by any means. Just praising the Cambridge. It’s been a good six months since owning the Cambridge. It just keeps delivering and I have no desire to sell it.

Anything that costs nearly twice as much ($1499 for the Cambridge 851N, at Amazon, vs. $799 for the Sonica DAC) isn't a fair comparison, but I'm happy for you, just the same - as I would be for someone who is happier with their $29,000 Toyota Avalon than with their $16,000 Toyota Yaris.

Meanwhile, these reviews might inspire someone with a tighter budget to grab a used Sonica DAC for an even better deal:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oppo-digital-sonica-network-dac/

https://hometheaterhifi.com/features/best-of-awards/secrets-best-awards-2017/

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #493 of 520
Anything that costs nearly twice as much ($1499 for the Cambridge 851N, at Amazon, vs. $799 for the Sonica DAC) isn't a fair comparison, but I'm happy for you, just the same - as I would be for someone who is happier with their $29,000 Toyota Avalon than with their $16,000 Toyota Yaris.

Meanwhile, these reviews might inspire someone with a tighter budget to grab a used Sonica DAC for an even better deal:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oppo-digital-sonica-network-dac/

https://hometheaterhifi.com/features/best-of-awards/secrets-best-awards-2017/

Actually, I was responding to a question about the Cambridge Cxn Dac. I only mentioned my Cambridge 851N because that’s all I’ve heard from them. Having said that, the $799.00 Cxn is known to sound very close to the 851N and they just introduced the CXN 2 which is even better. To further answer his question, I’m quite confident that the CXN2 will sound better in the areas he’s looking for. The Sonica is ok though. Dacs don’t make anywhere near the difference than amps do, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back