Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Mar 3, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #181 of 520
Hi,
I am interestet for the OPPO Sonica DAC.

I have a question:

Can this play flac and wav files in gapless playback from the NAS-Server?

Sorry, my english is not so good, I come from germany.

Thankyou for your answer.

Greets

Tripmeister

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #182 of 520
There is no gapless support yet.  However, Oppo has in the past been very responsive to customer requests, so if people ask for it, I would not be surprised if gapless support arrives in a future firmware update.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #183 of 520
So for the same format, would there be any difference among this 2 connections?

In my beta testing over many months, I have not been able to hear an appreciable difference between WiFi, Ethernet, USB, coax, and optical connections for the same source material.  I can safely say that I could hear no difference between files streamed over Ethernet via DLNA and files played over a USB connection.  When I compared files streamed over Ethernet via DLNA and via WIFi over DLNA, I could not hear a difference.  Comparing DLNA to AirPlay, I could hear some differences, but that was probably because the Airplay spec is limited to 16/44.1 resolution.  For Bluetooth connections, the sound quality drops a bit in comparison to the other connections, of course.  It is still very good, especially for Bluetooth.

Comparing the SDAC to the Auralic Aries Mini, the Sonica sounds a bit more refined.  The SDAC's sound quality is very similar to my Ayre QB-9 DSD, but that is not surprising.  Both are fully balanced designs using linear power supplies and ESS chips.

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #184 of 520
Sonica shows a great result with my Sennheiser HD800 headphones connected via handcrafted tube amp (2x british G.E.C. P2-type triodes, BVA): very natural, hi-detailed, intelligent, dynamic and airy sound!

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #185 of 520
  Sonica shows a great result with my Sennheiser HD800 headphones connected via handcrafted tube amp (2x british G.E.C. P2-type triodes, BVA): very natural, hi-detailed, intelligent, dynamic and airy sound!

How does it compare to the Denafrips?  I have been eying the Denafrips on eBay for some time, and have long thought it would be just a killer DAC, but I have been a bit leery to pull the trigger, therefore I was considering the Sonica DAC. 

Thanks, any comparison you can make would be great!

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #186 of 520
How does it compare to the Denafrips?  I have been eying the Denafrips on eBay for some time, and have long thought it would be just a killer DAC, but I have been a bit leery to pull the trigger, therefore I was considering the Sonica DAC. 

Don't buy Denafrips Ares on eBay. Buy it online from the authorized dealer, Vinshine Audio. Ships $50 to US, and you can pay via PayPal. That's what I did this morning when I placed my order.

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #187 of 520

I think, you must have both :wink: I'll compare it tomorrow, just streaming today.

OPPO Sonica ES9038PRO DAC & TIDAL Hi-Fi :

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #188 of 520
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to tonight's main event featuring for the first time 2 of the world's most infamous fighters. In the left corner, hailing from California, powered by one ES9038PRO chip: Oppo 'Sonica' DAC & Network streamer !  And in the right corner, his opponent, hailing from Taiwan, powered by two R2R discrete ladders: Denafrips 'Ares' R2R DAC !

Gentlemen, may the best man win. Let's fight !

Round #001

Sonica:

Ares:

Round #002

Sonica:

Ares:

Round #003

Sonica:

Ares:

Round #004

Sonica:

Ares:

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #189 of 520
  Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to tonight's main event featuring for the first time 2 of the world's most infamous fighters. In the left corner, hailing from California, powered by one ES9038PRO chip: Oppo 'Sonica' DAC & Network streamer !  And in the right corner, his opponent, hailing from Taiwan, powered by two R2R discrete ladders: Denafrips 'Ares' R2R DAC !

Gentlemen, may the best man win. Let's fight !

AND (in your opinion), THE WINNER IS...?

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #190 of 520
These tests are great, but how are we supposed to tell which one is better listening through our computer/ tablets / phones speakers?

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #192 of 520
Hi,
i have send my question on the OPPO support.

My request:

Dear Madame and Sirs,
I am interested in getting information about the OPPO Sonica DAC. I visit your webside and wasn't about to get information concerning the following questions:
1.) Is the gapless Playback (WAV and FLAC Files) included? I Have many live music files on my NAS.
2.) Is internetradio included? Many competitor have this function on board.
3.) Is the steering via App (on/off) possibel? This function is very comfortable.
Could you be so kind to answer the question with in 1 week?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards, XXX

The answer from the support:

1. Unfortunately no, at this time the Sonica DAC does not support gapless playback. This is something that we are looking to support in the future, but do not know when or if this will be added.

2. You can access streaming services that are not supported by the application by using AirPlay (iOS and Mac OSX) or using Asynchronous USB from a computer.

3. Not yet, but we are looking to possible IP Controls for the player.

Gapless Playback is for my a great feature, I hope the function will OPPO give in the near future.

Tripmeister

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #193 of 520
To add to Oppo's comments, you use the Sonica App (iOS or Android) to control playback from wireless and/or Ethernet networks (DLNA network, or the proprietary Sonica network between Sonica devices), or from attached USB drives (either attached to the SDAC or attached to other Sonica devices), or Tidal, or Spotify. You also use the Sonica app to update firmware. You use the standard iOS controls to choose the SDAC for AirPlay playback. You use the physical controls on the SDAC to enable Bluetooth playback, or Toslink, or coax, or analog input, or as a USB DAC. You can also control various other settings on the DAC via its front controls. You turn on the DAC using the front panel button.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #194 of 520
Witch computerchip is build in the OPPO Sonica DAC?

How much RAM have the device?

I have read, all lossless formats have automatical gapless included (Source Wikipedia).

Is this right?

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #195 of 520
I am not sure what kind of chip powers the Sonica DAC, but I believe it is an ARM-architecture SOC and not an x86 compatible device. I am unsure how much RAM the device contains. The SDAC does not yet support gapless playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back