Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Dec 12, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #4,818 of 6,302
I've been looking at a good pair of headphones for quite some time, and I've narrowed down to two options, the B&W P7 and the OPPO PM-3. My main stipulation is with the ambiguous reviews I've read about the OPPOs leaking sound. Some say it leaks a ton of sound, while others claim that it doesn't leak anything even at uncomfortable volumes. Could anyone who has worn these headphones please clear this up for me? I intend to take these on planes and don't want to misspend $400 on a pair of traveling headphones. Thanks in advance! 

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #4,819 of 6,302
It leaks very little in my experience. I use them in an office with three others very close by without bothering anyone.

I've been looking at a good pair of headphones for quite some time, and I've narrowed down to two options, the B&W P7 and the OPPO PM-3. My main stipulation is with the ambiguous reviews I've read about the OPPOs leaking sound. Some say it leaks a ton of sound, while others claim that it doesn't leak anything even at uncomfortable volumes. Could anyone who has worn these headphones please clear this up for me? I intend to take these on planes and don't want to misspend $400 on a pair of traveling headphones. Thanks in advance! 

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #4,820 of 6,302

Yeah, the PM3 is pretty isolating...never had anyone complain when I wore mine in the office either, and I listen fairly loud.  Can't speak for the P7s.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #4,822 of 6,302
They don't leak any kind of sound outside... Even if you're wearing glasses. The P7s having a bigger clamping force can hold themselves tighter in your head. Nevertheless sonically, they're quite opposite one from another, having the P7 a V profile and the PM3 a delicious mid/vocals signature... The latter also benefits from a powerful source in order to show that dry & quick bass it sometimes when not properly fed seems to be rather dull.

Enviado desde mi H1

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #4,824 of 6,302
  Can anyone recommend a good portable AMP for under $100 that works well with these? 

EDIT: Actually, a regular-sized AMP at the same price range would work just as well for me. 

fiio e18 if you want a dac/amp, fiio e12 for just amp

full size would be schiit magni.  would cost a little over $100 with shipping

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #4,826 of 6,302
How bout PM3 vs AKG K551?

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #4,827 of 6,302
I know this must have been asked a lot and I have read some posts regarding this issue but maybe after a certain period of time things may have gone different. I am in love with the PM 3 for while now, it is being used when commuting and when at home as I already sold the HD650 to fund a new open pair cans, which may be either HD700 or PM-2 (sure) or any other suggestion that fits in the case.

Given the fact that many owners of PM 3 also own the PM2 or auditioned/owned it, how does it sound compare to the PM 2 and the HD700 or even the HD800? Is it really twice as good as the PM 3 in terms of clarity, refinement and soundstage as it is in price?

Thanks,
Linh

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #4,828 of 6,302
I auditioned PM-2 and to be honest didn't like it too much. Its cheaper sibling is much easier to listen to.Funny thing is, when I went to the store to hear PM-3, the shop assistant gave me a pair of PM-2 instead, thinking they're the 3s. I put them on and started listening using a X5 II and I was like, meh... The highs were a bit harsh for my taste but the lows were tight and very nicely defined. After a closer look at the headphones I noticed that it has dual entry... That's when I knew I haven't tried a PM-3 :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #4,830 of 6,302
How does it compare to audioquest nighthawks? And has anyone tried them with mojo?

I like them better than Nighthawks, though I doubt that I heard the NHs in ideal conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back