Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Nov 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #4,786 of 6,302
  Just got my pure silver cable made by Lavricables (check ebay) and it's gorgeous...craftsmanship is fantastic and it looks great.

​Nice silver cable, enjoy it! Would really like to hear your impressions after cable burn-in (compared to the original cable)...

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #4,788 of 6,302

The claim is 150 hours...goodness.  Gonna take a while, lol.

​I will wait patiently.
popcorn.gif
 Thanks in advance. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #4,790 of 6,302
I'm in ordering mode right now.
Will get an forza for my oppo pm3 with QP1R.
Matt recommended me the claire hpc mk2, i think I will go with this one. But, The noir hpc mk2 are 30 euro more, not that much, speaking of 120 (claire with viablue) or 150 euro.
So before taking the plunge, wanted to ask about impressions on this two, should I go Claire, Noir? Are there experiences for portable use? Weight differences? Cable noise (important for me)? Is the noir much "bigger"?

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #4,792 of 6,302
I'd love to hear your impressions. Do you notice a clear difference in the sound? And does it improve microphonics (the stock cable is really noisy when moving around)?

Still too early to really say about the sound but I can say the highs are clearer and a little more extended. It really just adds a sparkle to the top end I felt was missing on the pm3. It also does the same for the H6 I've got.

As for microphonics, bad news on that front. It's a little stiffer so it ends up making noise if you walk or move around. I really would only recommend it for stationary listening sessions. You can get a nylon sleeve on it when it's made so maybe that would have helped but I like the look of the plain cable instead. I listen at my desk so no biggie for me. Just something I noticed in comparison.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #4,795 of 6,302
Got my PM-3 a few days ago. They are very, very good! I have had loudspeakers with folio for years, and were after that transient sound. have noticed that people become even more happy with them over time, if that is the case I will be looking forward to that. They fit the LG V10 very well, I I just need to trigger it to high impedance mode, that's all.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #4,797 of 6,302
Just grabbed a refurbished PM3 for £200 (~$260) which is £150 lower than the RRP here in UK. I cant tell enough how happy I am for what a bargain it was so I want to share some of my personal, subjective impressions.

The PM3 exceeds my expectation for even the original price. Pairing them with the Apogee Groove with PC-Foobar2k-24/96 as source and it almost knocked out my HD650 in terms of mid and sub-bass details. The quantity is less but the quality is more hands down.

comfort as well cause the HD650's clamping force is just more than enough for my head.

The sound signature to me is more flat, neutral and analytical on the PM3 compared to the HD650 that to my ears, on the warm, musical side.

The sound is more laid back than the 650 which to me is a good thing as it increases the relaxing feeling and decreases the fatigue in long listening sessions. As a planar magnetic pair of cans, it is also much faster.

On the other hand, the parts which the PM3 falls short to the 650 is the emphasis in trebles and upper mids, they are crisp and clear but a bit dry, this some times result in less satisfying jazz/blue tracks with female vocal like Norah Jones or Ella Fitzgerald. And of course the soundstage which is obvious when comparing the an fully open back pair.

I even enjoy them very much straight out of my iphone 6s with the traditional 3.5mm output or the lightning port with the lightning to 3.5 adapter (with a tiny dac inside and costs £9, sounds a little nicer than the 3.5mm with internal dac).

Moreover, aesthetically, it looks so nice on and off my head, the cables are neat, sturdy and seems not to get tangled much, altogether make it an ultimate portable choice.

Last but not least, any suggestions on portable dac/amps with the PM3?

I just got the HA2SE, they sound nice but I am not quite happy with the £289 cost in terms of details and soundstage improvement and about to return them.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day everyone, Ling.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #4,799 of 6,302
Just grabbed a refurbished PM3 for £200 (~$260) which is £150 lower than the RRP here in UK. I cant tell enough how happy I am for what a bargain it was so I want to share some of my personal, subjective impressions.

The PM3 exceeds my expectation for even the original price. Pairing them with the Apogee Groove with PC-Foobar2k-24/96 as source and it almost knocked out my HD650 in terms of mid and sub-bass details. The quantity is less but the quality is more hands down.

comfort as well cause the HD650's clamping force is just more than enough for my head.

The sound signature to me is more flat, neutral and analytical on the PM3 compared to the HD650 that to my ears, on the warm, musical side.

The sound is more laid back than the 650 which to me is a good thing as it increases the relaxing feeling and decreases the fatigue in long listening sessions. As a planar magnetic pair of cans, it is also much faster.

On the other hand, the parts which the PM3 falls short to the 650 is the emphasis in trebles and upper mids, they are crisp and clear but a bit dry, this some times result in less satisfying jazz/blue tracks with female vocal like Norah Jones or Ella Fitzgerald. And of course the soundstage which is obvious when comparing the an fully open back pair.

I even enjoy them very much straight out of my iphone 6s with the traditional 3.5mm output or the lightning port with the lightning to 3.5 adapter (with a tiny dac inside and costs £9, sounds a little nicer than the 3.5mm with internal dac).

Moreover, aesthetically, it looks so nice on and off my head, the cables are neat, sturdy and seems not to get tangled much, altogether make it an ultimate portable choice.

Last but not least, any suggestions on portable dac/amps with the PM3?

I just got the HA2SE, they sound nice but I am not quite happy with the £289 cost in terms of details and soundstage improvement and about to return them.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day everyone, Ling.

What are you comparing it to?

My two main amps is the ha-2 and pha-3.  The ha-2 goes toe - to -toe with the pha-3 on single-ended mode.  if I didn't want to go balanced, I would have sold the pha-3 already.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #4,800 of 6,302
Obvious DAC candidates are Oppo HA-2 and of course Chord Mojo. I own the Mojo and played with the Oppo for a few days, both great with PM-3.

The Mojo literally did not impress me at all at that price tag, twice. Probably because I auditioned the Hugo (which is a totally another level) at the same times also :D

What are you comparing it to?

My two main amps is the ha-2 and pha-3.  The ha-2 goes toe - to -toe with the pha-3 on single-ended mode.  if I didn't want to go balanced, I would have sold the pha-3 already.

To the Groove, of course. I just A/B(ed) them recently and realized that I had not tried the high gain mode on the HA-2SE before, pretty much bettered the Groove in terms of soundstage and realism, particularly on metal tracks or live concerts. Intially I thought with the low impedance, I did not need to put the PM-3 on high gain (especially when I already knew it could sound OK straight out of my phone). Taking my words back for now lol. Btw how do you find the high gain with the battery life? is it much shorter?

One more question, anybody here had a chance to compare the PM-3 with the Audio Technica M70x (also highly regarded for the neutral and detailed sound signature)? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back