Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Nov 26, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #4,771 of 6,302
I don't think they're that heavy. The pads and the headband do a great job distributing the weight and keeping the headphone in place, too. As I said, I'm impressed with the build, so solid. Any other headphones I tried or own make noise when I walk, more or less. Even the Meze. The TH-X00 are not good either and don't get me started about the Sonys...

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #4,773 of 6,302
The cable of the pm3 does noise when walking, when touching my jacket or something

Yes and that's why I replaced the stock cable immediately.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #4,775 of 6,302
Nov 27, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #4,776 of 6,302
I own both PM-3 and the Classics and love them both. Worth owning both? Absolutely. The Oppos are more portable and better whn you run or jog and they don't make any "mechanical" noise due to the tanl like build and their isolation is way better. In fact isolation is so good I use them while flying. They are also more compact and therefore easier to pack. The Classics on the other hand are a joy to listen to and they look the part. Sound signatures are also complimentary and that's another reason to won them both.
Thanks for input. Complimentry in what sense?

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #4,778 of 6,302
Nov 27, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #4,781 of 6,302
Last friday I bought a pair of Oppo PM-3 headphones and I've been listening to them extensively this weekend. Though I am overal very pleased with their sound, looks and portability there is one major flaw that keeps me from being completely satisfied: there is a slight but clearly audible 'clicking sound'.

It's present solely in the rightern earcup and can be heard whenever I turn or nod my head, move my jaw or ever so gently touch the exterior of said earcup. This clicking is audible even when no source is connected. No such clicking is heard in the left earcup, which is where the audio-jack is located (generally the cause of problems, but not this time as it seems). The sound is most apparant whenever I'm walking around with these (portable) headphones and hear this click with every step I take, or when I unintentionally playback to a song
smile_phones.gif
. The shape and size of my ears are normal and do not touch the insides of the headphone.

The 'clicking' can be described as a very short, sharp but not particulary loud sound that reminds me a bit of velcro. It sounds a bit like the noise you sometimes hear whilst plugging in a headphone into a source (brief static).

I have trouble tracing back the source of this 'clicking sound'. I first looked whether there may be a hair sticking into the drivers, but this was not the case. Then I fiddled a little bit with the wire that enters the rightern ear-cup but this did not produce the 'clicking sound'. Next up I checked the metal hinges, which look and feel really solid. But these do not seem to produce this noise either.

Coincidentally, when I last night put on some glasses, the clicking sound completely dissapeared, even when walking around. So unless these glasses had some magical power, the problem seems to be related to the seal of the headphones. Maybe it's the flexing of the drivers due to the pressure within the ear-cup, a problem I experienced earlier with some IEM's. But I am not sure if larger headphones also experience these kind of issues.

Anyone experienced similar problems with the pm-3?

(Returning is an option, but this was the last one they had in stock and this was the only respectable shop I could find that had these offered as a black-friday deal, and I really like them...)

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #4,782 of 6,302
Any recommendations then on a quiet cable?

I have two sets of cables, one is from Dyson (balanced) and the other is from @PETEREK (SE).  Both has noise but with the Dyson I can't walk around with it.  Any rubbing of the cable on my clothes with cause noise.  with the cable from peterek I can use it on the go and won't hear anything when music is on.
  Last friday I bought a pair of Oppo PM-3 headphones and I've been listening to them extensively this weekend. For those who may not know, the Oppo PM-3 is a planar magnetic over-the-ear headphone. Though I am overal very pleased with their sound, looks and portability there is one major flaw that keeps me from being completely satisfied: there is a slight but clearly audible 'clicking sound'.

It's present solely in the rightern earcup and can be heard whenever I turn or nod my head, move my jaw or ever so gently touch the exterior of said earcup. This clicking is audible even when no source is connected. No such clicking is heard in the left earcup, which is where the audio-jack is located (generally the cause of problems, but not this time as it seems). The sound is most apparant whenever I'm walking around with these (portable) headphones and hear this click with every step I take, or when I unintentionally playback to a song
smile_phones.gif
. The shape and size of my ears are normal and do not touch the insides of the headphone.

The 'clicking' can be described as a very short, sharp but not particulary loud sound that reminds me a bit of velcro. It sounds a bit like the noise you sometimes hear whilst plugging in a headphone into a source (brief static).

I have trouble tracing back the source of this 'clicking sound'. I first looked whether there may be a hair sticking into the drivers, but this was not the case. Then I fiddled a little bit with the wire that enters the rightern ear-cup but this did not produce the 'clicking sound'. Next up I checked the metal hinges, which look and feel really solid. But these do not seem to produce this noise either.

Coincidentally, when I last night put on some glasses, the clicking sound completely dissapeared, even when walking around. So unless these glasses had some magical power, the problem seems to be related to the seal of the headphones. Maybe it's the flexing of the drivers due to the pressure within the ear-cup, a problem I experienced earlier with some IEM's. But I am not sure if larger headphones also experience these kind of issues.

Anyone experienced similar problems with the pm-3?

(Returning is an option, but this was the last one they had in stock and this was the only respectable shop I could find that had these offered as a black-friday deal, and I really like them...)

what your describing sound likes driver flex.  I don't know if there is such thing as driver flex for planars, i'm not to sure on that though.

on the safe side I would just exchange them.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #4,784 of 6,302
Any experienced with forca audio works cables with the pm3? Especially regarding cable noise?

I have a PM-3 with a Forza Noir cable and I love it. There's absolutely no cable noise and it's much more comfortable and sturdy than the stock cable. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back