Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Dec 13, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #4,831 of 6,302
Hey I am buying meze and akg k712 and for 3rd headphone I want something different so oppo pm3 or nighthawks or hifiman he400i?

Can't speak for the nighthawks, but I got the PM3s and my wife got the HE400i within a few days of each other (early christmas presents).

It's going to come down to "Do you prefer open cans or closed cans"?

Despite owning and primarily wearing Senn HD-650s and then Beyer DT-880s for more than a decade, it's become clear to me in the past 2 years I prefer closed headphones. My wife's HE-400i are very very good. I like them better than ether the HD-650s or the DT-880s.. but I still prefer the Oppo PM-3 to all of them (as well as my "barton twin" NAD HP50 and PSB M4U1).

With an amp that provides nice synergy, the PM-3 simply shines.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #4,832 of 6,302
I have one more question about these. 

I've been searching for some over-ear headphones for quite some time now, and have had to send back the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s and the B&W P5s due to comfort issues. It would seem that my ears were simply too large for the former and stuck out too much for the latter. My ears were reddened after half an hour of use with either one. I can sleep in the Bose QC25s, but now that I've heard what music can sound like, I don't want to go back to that. 

Will this be a problem with the OPPOs, do you think? I've read quite a few reviews that cannot draw on the comfort of these headphones, but I've also read some where the main stipulation was the comfort. This seems to be a problem with almost every headphone I've looked into buying, whether it be the B&W P7, the Meze 99 Classics, whatever. 

If anyone knows an alternative for a good-looking, good-sounding headphone under $400 if they think the OPPOs wouldn't work out for me, I'd appreciate that as well. It seems to me that the B&O H6s are my best bet; haven't seen a review that didn't put comfort as a plus. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #4,833 of 6,302

I've been searching for some over-ear headphones for quite some time now, and have had to send back the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s and the B&W P5s due to comfort issues. It would seem that my ears were simply too large for the former and stuck out too much for the latter. My ears were reddened after half an hour of use with either one. I can sleep in the Bose QC25s, but now that I've heard what music can sound like, I don't want to go back to that. 

Will this be a problem with the OPPOs, do you think? I've read quite a few reviews that cannot draw on the comfort of these headphones, but I've also read some where the main stipulation was the comfort. This seems to be a problem with almost every headphone I've looked into buying, whether it be the B&W P7, the Meze 99 Classics, whatever. 

If anyone knows an alternative for a good-looking, good-sounding headphone under $400 if they think the OPPOs wouldn't work out for me, I'd appreciate that as well. It seems to me that the B&O H6s are my best bet; haven't seen a review that didn't put comfort as a plus. 

I already replied in the H6 thread about the comfort issues I've got with the, the PM3 is quite a bit more comfortable to me. And if you're just taking suggestions on other comfy headphones the Sony MDR1A and the BT version are both spectacular in that regard.

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #4,834 of 6,302

I've tried all of those headphones you listed, and I also got rid of the B&W P5 s2 due to comfort (and also too much bass for my taste - it was a gift). For me, the PM-3 were the most comfortable for long listening sessions, followed by the H6. I find the PM-3 extremely comfortable - they have decent clamping pressure but the pads are deep and the pressure is evenly distributed so they end up sealing well and staying put but not hurting. This is, of course, partially down to your head shape, but most people seem to agree.

Any of them will be better than the P5, in any case.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #4,835 of 6,302

If you've had issues with headphones touching you're large ears you WILL ABSOLUTELY have this problem with the PM-3's. I had no issues with the Momentum's, just couldn't handle their bass, so sent them back. I love my PM-3's. I have small ears and they just fit perfectly. Any larger (my ears) and I think I'd have issues.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #4,836 of 6,302
If you've got large ears, I'd stay away from closed phones in general. Their sound signature usually relies on getting a good seal, so they tend to be smaller in order to get a better likelyhood of sealing against the skull.

If you're worried about fit and comfort, I'd recommend you look at open cans with fairly large earcups. Beyerdynamic or hifiman come to mind.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #4,837 of 6,302

If you've got large ears, I'd stay away from closed phones in general. Their sound signature usually relies on getting a good seal, so they tend to be smaller in order to get a better likelyhood of sealing against the skull.

If you're worried about fit and comfort, I'd recommend you look at open cans with fairly large earcups. Beyerdynamic or hifiman come to mind.

Those aren't exactly great for traveling use, however. The Bose QC25s fit very, very well over my ears, and I'm willing to bet at least one other headphone out there has a comparable fit. Meze has been handing out deeper, larger pads to people who have been experiencing issues, so I might just have to check those out. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #4,839 of 6,302
Bigger pads for bigger ears for oppo pm3 would be a blessing for me. My pm3's are really very comfortable for about 60 minutes, than hurting begins, getting worse continually.

I guess I'll have to pass them up, then. Most of my listening sessions are half again as long as that... I wish more companies would respond to people like Meze did. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #4,840 of 6,302
A year ago I was in the same position as you, after reading up almost everything considering comfort I decided for pm3. I think most people consider them very comfortable.
I don't see any other closed headphone with a bigger ear opening (tyll says pm3 opening is bigger than pm1, I don't get oppo in that regard), maybe ether c.
So, I would recommend it nonetheless, but best is try them out (for 2 hours or so..)

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #4,841 of 6,302
A year ago I was in the same position as you, after reading up almost everything considering comfort I decided for pm3. I think most people consider them very comfortable.
I don't see any other closed headphone with a bigger ear opening (tyll says pm3 opening is bigger than pm1, I don't get oppo in that regard), maybe ether c.
So, I would recommend it nonetheless, but best is try them out (for 2 hours or so..)

PM-3 on the bottom - PM-2 on the top and the venerable Sennheiser HD-650 on the top right. Click on pictures to enlarge.

Hope this helps...

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #4,842 of 6,302
I'm looking at getting a balanced DAC to power my headphone collection and was wondering peoples thoughts who have a balanced cable for their PM-3s. 

I am looking at the Teac UD-501-B which looks like the only balanced out are the dual 3 pin XLR. Looking at the cable needed; TRRS on headphone end, and dual 3-pin XLR female for amp end. I'm interested in this cable: http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1 Which doesn't have a 3-Pin female XLR. Is there an adapter I can get to connect this cable to the DAC or do I need to look elsewhere?

Or this cable: https://www.moon-audio.com/blue-dragon-cable-oppo-headphones-v3.html I don't see a "balanced" option but at the bottom of the page is states:
"The Version 3 is quieter than the Version 2 with no microphonics.  It is a balanced cable geometry that can be terminated for either single ended or balanced configuration.
This cable can be configured in a variety of different ways. Please note that single ended signal connection can not be converted to balanced signal connection. As the grounds are tied in the single ended connector. Therefore, only pick this configuration if your amp has no single ended connection outputs."

What does it mean "Please note that single ended signal connection can not be converted to balanced signal connection".

Thanks for any help

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #4,843 of 6,302
Pm3 holes look really big, maybe with my ears it's the depth, i don't know.

At home I only got the hd590, besides the pm3. I think they are extremely super comfortable. But holes aren't that much bigger. There is absolutely no contact to the ear.

Strange thing is, the on pm3 only hurts my right ear. I can't see any differences on my left and right ear, so I'm a little confused.
For the most part, the pm3 is comfortable. After an hour or so, I sometimes put them off for 3 minutes, and everything is quite fine. Not as ultra fine as hd590, but the difference in sq is worth it thousand times

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #4,844 of 6,302
  I'm looking at getting a balanced DAC to power my headphone collection and was wondering peoples thoughts who have a balanced cable for their PM-3s. 

I am looking at the Teac UD-501-B which looks like the only balanced out are the dual 3 pin XLR. Looking at the cable needed; TRRS on headphone end, and dual 3-pin XLR female for amp end. I'm interested in this cable: http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1 Which doesn't have a 3-Pin female XLR. Is there an adapter I can get to connect this cable to the DAC or do I need to look elsewhere?

Or this cable: https://www.moon-audio.com/blue-dragon-cable-oppo-headphones-v3.html I don't see a "balanced" option but at the bottom of the page is states:
"The Version 3 is quieter than the Version 2 with no microphonics.  It is a balanced cable geometry that can be terminated for either single ended or balanced configuration.
This cable can be configured in a variety of different ways. Please note that single ended signal connection can not be converted to balanced signal connection. As the grounds are tied in the single ended connector. Therefore, only pick this configuration if your amp has no single ended connection outputs."

What does it mean "Please note that single ended signal connection can not be converted to balanced signal connection".

Thanks for any help

Those outputs on the DAC are used to connect to a balanced amp or powered speakers not headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back