ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 24, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,472 of 16,326
Hell even the onkyo HA300 is a viable option for those who find the DP-X1 not looking so hot

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,475 of 16,326
I can't see how the Onkyo's UI can be bad if it's just stock android 5.1.1, those who don't like it are probably partial to dedicated music UI, but I personally quite like using android devices as daps. As for the volume spike issue its a software interfacing problem with the volume wheel, Onkyo wouldn't release the DP-X1 without correcting the issue. As for sound, Dopaminers sound evaluation of DP-X1 bettering AK120ii is all anyone would need to know, for my needs the DP-X1 is an unbeatable package.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,477 of 16,326
I can't see how the Onkyo's UI can be bad if it's just stock android 5.1.1, those who don't like it are probably partial to dedicated music UI, but I personally quite like using android devices as daps. As for the volume spike issue its a software interfacing problem with the volume wheel, Onkyo wouldn't release the DP-X1 without correcting the issue. As for sound, Dopaminers sound evaluation of DP-X1 bettering AK120ii is all anyone would need to know, for my needs the DP-X1 is an unbeatable package.

This is the first time Onkyo put their hands on to fully develop an Android device instead of just an app, nothing a firmware can't fix. I think the negativity here happens because Onkyo doesn't want to open up more weeks leading to the launch and give a clearer release time.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #1,478 of 16,326

This is the first time Onkyo put their hands on to fully develop an Android device instead of just an app, nothing a firmware can't fix. I think the negativity here happens because Onkyo doesn't want to open up more weeks leading to the launch and give a clearer release time.

And the fact that they aren't participating in Head-Fi. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,479 of 16,326
To anyone who aspires to create an audiophile oriented DAP, this is not how to work up a product launch!

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,481 of 16,326

They could have just worked on it without announcing to the world that they are making it. They could release it when it is done, not when their marketing department wants an announcement. 

This is a BIG problem here in Japan across all electronic industries. The engineers are so poorly connected with the marketing and top brass that you get cameras that are hardly usable for a year, or android devices that can't be upgraded, and never will be, whose functions don't work and never are fixed. It would be so nice to have a Japanese company's engineering team give the finger to the top brass and marketers and release a product when it is ready.

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,483 of 16,326
The part that worried me the most (and seems to have foreshadowed concerns to come) was how at CanJam/RMAF the Pioneer corporate team sent three people to man their booth that had never even seen the XDP-100R before and seemed to have no idea how to use it or have much background at all in portable audio. For example when I took out my micro SD card so I could listen to my own music they all wanted to see how that worked. And I felt really sorry for the people they sent as they were really nice guys, but they were totally unprepared for the event. I blame whomever sent them for their lack of knowledge and preparation. And these weren't junior people - one of them was a Senior Vice President for Pioneer US. Seemed like the right hand wasn't talking to the left. 

And I echo the concern about not having any presence here on HF. This is a chunk of their target market and 'home' of some pretty significant influencers in our space and you can see how quickly the winds can change direction here if there is no one of official capacity to help fill the vacuum of information. There was a good deal of positive momentum (heck this thread is almost at 100 pages) that seems to have almost completely dissipated over the last day or two. Not a best practice in portable audio and I hope that Pioneer/Onkyo learn from this if they really want to make an impact in this space (at least outside of Japan). 

Cheers 

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,484 of 16,326
I think after reading DPX-1 and personally tried the Pioneer.
Probably will look at other DAP i.e x7 or ZX2 or maybe just hold my horses till the kinks are ironed out.
No hurries as currently I'm running Spotify on my 6s :)

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,485 of 16,326
  The part that worried me the most (and seems to have foreshadowed concerns to come) was how at CanJam/RMAF the Pioneer corporate team sent three people to man their booth that had never even seen the XDP-100R before and seemed to have no idea how to use it or have much background at all in portable audio. For example when I took out my micro SD card so I could listen to my own music they all wanted to see how that worked. And I felt really sorry for the people they sent as they were really nice guys, but they were totally unprepared for the event. I blame whomever sent them for their lack of knowledge and preparation. And these weren't junior people - one of them was a Senior Vice President for Pioneer US. Seemed like the right hand wasn't talking to the left. 

And I echo the concern about not having any presence here on HF. This is a chunk of their target market and 'home' of some pretty significant influencers in our space and you can see how quickly the winds can change direction here if there is no one of official capacity to help fill the vacuum of information. There was a good deal of positive momentum (heck this thread is almost at 100 pages) that seems to have almost completely dissipated over the last day or two. Not a best practice in portable audio and I hope that Pioneer/Onkyo learn from this if they really want to make an impact in this space (at least outside of Japan). 

Cheers 

They could have just worked on it without announcing to the world that they are making it. They could release it when it is done, not when their marketing department wants an announcement. 

This is a BIG problem here in Japan across all electronic industries. The engineers are so poorly connected with the marketing and top brass that you get cameras that are hardly usable for a year, or android devices that can't be upgraded, and never will be, whose functions don't work and never are fixed. It would be so nice to have a Japanese company's engineering team give the finger to the top brass and marketers and release a product when it is ready.

Thoase are also the reason that Japanese game industry got wrecked by western developers since the mid 2000s and now is faltering in markets outside of Japan, they can make good products but sometimes I shake my head looking at how out of touch they are with their customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back