ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 24, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,486 of 16,326
I guess I'm the only one that actually is more interested in this device than prior to reading the impressions... I'm not concerned with the UI, I know Dopaminer said he is not a techno phobe (paraphrasing), but he didn't specifically mention he is familiar with Android. Coming from an ios device Android can be a bit confusing.

Regardless, there is still time and it should be no different than the UI from the zx2, although it should be much snappier, as it's newer and has and additional gig of ram.

I'm actually back to wanting this device again.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,487 of 16,326
All the UI problems can be fixed with software updates so there is that

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #1,488 of 16,326
  All the UI problems can be fixed with software updates so there is that

Worst case: What if Onkyo abandon their customer and not regularly update FW? Waiting for stable FW for 5-6 months after DAP released will be a nightmare.

I wish this case won't happen though.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,489 of 16,326

Worst case: What if Onkyo abandon their customer and not regularly update FW? Waiting for stable FW for 5-6 months after DAP released will be a nightmare.

Sounds like exactly the situation youhave with most Chinese DAPs....Still waiting for a usable UI from Questyle before I buy the QP1R.
If they do not have one by March I will go for the Cowon P1...

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,490 of 16,326
I'll wait till they have a firmware update to fix these issues before deciding. I know they can do it, but as some of you guys mentioned above, my only fear is that they won't provide an update, or will only do so months later. Hopefully this won't be the case, and I'll get it in Dec 
L3000.gif

For now, I have to be content with my X3ii. 
ph34r.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,491 of 16,326
F5'ing Yodobashi, e-earphone, sofmap, and biccamera while working. Stop teasing me Onkyo, just hire Shia Lebouf as your HR department head.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,492 of 16,326
About regularly FW update...I lurk in DX80 thread and wow, Ibasso already released FW 1.1.4 within one month after DX80 released and it fix most the problems encountered. Paul, the man work for Ibasso always listen to user's feedback in Head-Fi and send it to development team. Very impressive. Chinese brand or not, I hope Onkyo follow Ibasso way of customer service and FW update.  

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #1,493 of 16,326
I think they should address the biggest bug, ie the sudden max volume which is downright harmful. Once that is done, the other UI insufficiencies can be ironed out in due time. Or not.

Some consumers like me can live with some UI difficulties (cough FiiO X3 cough). Just don't bloody harm your customers lol!

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,495 of 16,326
  About regularly FW update...I lurk in DX80 thread and wow, Ibasso already released FW 1.1.4 within one month after DX80 released and it fix most the problems encountered. Paul, the man work for Ibasso always listen to user's feedback in Head-Fi and send it to development team. Very impressive. Chinese brand or not, I hope Onkyo follow Ibasso way of customer service and FW update.  

As much as Ibasso works on software - which is great! - it never gets refined (eg, just try and make playlists with 100gb of music!). At least that is my experience with the DX90. A company with the resources that Onkyo has lacks any good excuse to release product with so many issues.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,496 of 16,326
  As much as Ibasso works on software - which is great! - it never gets refined (eg, just try and make playlists with 100gb of music!). At least that is my experience with the DX90. A company with the resources that Onkyo has lacks any good excuse to release product with so many issues.

I also owned DX90 for a year and had no issue with its SW or UI so far for daily use. If DP-X1 SW is on par with DX90 I will have no problem with it. However, for many major bugs explained in this thread, such as random ears blast, etc. is unacceptable at all. Flawless DAP is an ideal, but I can live with minor glitch as long as the device sound great.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,497 of 16,326
  I also owned DX90 for a year and had no issue with its SW or UI so far for daily use. If DP-X1 SW is on par with DX90 I will have no problem with it. However, for many major bugs explained in this thread, such as random ears blast, etc. is unacceptable at all. Flawless DAP is an ideal, but I can live with minor glitch as long as the device sound great.

DX50 did have the volume blast issue, which I was unlucky enough to painfully encounter several times...but that was later fixed by ibasso with firmware update, DX90 was fine though. I'm sure Onkyo will fix this issue and any other issues as well, I believe that Onkyo will support their product, I would bet money that Onkyo will either delay release to fix any issues or release firmware updates in a timely fashion like 1 update a month till complete. I already mentioned how Onkyo delayed HA300 to patch UI while Teac decided to release P90 earlier but in a semi-buggy state but released 5 timely firmware updates to complete it.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #1,499 of 16,326
If how onkyo handled the HA300 is any indication how they will handle the DP-X1 it will turn out alrigh then.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #1,500 of 16,326

It sounds absolutely great. But wait for some firmware updates, as with the current version it is barely usable...

Yeah, I know, thanks for the heads up though. I've been reading the posts in the QP1R thread. I'm willing to give it a go for the sake of good sound, I only ever press play and shuffle songs most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back