ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,456 of 16,326
And now Amazon put the release date on the 30th, man they should settle on a date soon.

Yodobashi still on the 28th

E-earphone,Sofmap and biccamera "end of november"

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,458 of 16,326
Like the Luxury & Precision curse uh. Great sound, antagonistic UI.
I'm willing to wait for the FW fixes for an intuitive UI. But the random high volume ear blasting? Nope. That's my own deal breaker.
I already listen to only 20-30% of the volume bar on my ZX2. The DP-X1 can output 150mW in balanced which was my intended usage. That's serious ear nuking risks no?
I won't cancel my preorder but im afraid I'll just wait until that is fixed 100%.

Thanks a lot Dopaminer :beerchug:
I'm glad about the blackness of it. Good omen for my Zeus pairing.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,459 of 16,326
great impressions, many thanks. Regarding this dodgy UI, is it different to the Onkyo app that is currently being used? That's fairly straight forward to use, and is my current music app of choice. I assumed the app would be the stock player

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,460 of 16,326
This thread need to be updated to link to dopaminers impressions on page one or relect that there are impressions on page 97.

Also one does not just say that onkyo had ciem universal units (to which there is no information on the internet) and not talk about it!

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,462 of 16,326
I can live with all the BS related to the UI except the random volume spikes. That is intolerable and dangerous. Once I hear people confirm that this issue has been resolved, I'll gladly purchase this dap.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,463 of 16,326
  Thanks, didn't know about him. Pretty cool thread he's got going here.

Sadly I just decided to cancel my Onkyo order as well. Too much waiting for me at this stage of the game. Likely it is too late for me to cancel my cable order so if anybody needs a 4 foot cable made to work with the Onkyo or an AK Dap and a PM3 send me a PM and it might work out nicely for you.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,464 of 16,326
It seems too smartphone like and I want something non smartphone like. This probably kills the DP-X1 for me.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,465 of 16,326
  This thread need to be updated to link to dopaminers impressions on page one or relect that there are impressions on page 97.

Also one does not just say that onkyo had ciem universal units (to which there is no information on the internet) and not talk about it!

Regarding the CIEM universals:

http://www.e-earphone.jp/blog/?p=15670
http://rei1963.hatenablog.jp/entry/2015/09/26/220328
http://www.barks.jp/news/?id=1000119697

There's always plenty of information if you read Japanese. :wink:

The take away point is that Onkyo is really pushing the envelop for CIEM in terms of price and speed of delivery - 7 days to make due to the usage of 3D printers, entry model starts at less than 60k yen and the flagship is less than 80k yen ex tax.  Comes in a unique shape that's smaller than traditional CIEM.  Sound wise apparently the entry model is the most popular with customers due to its easy listening nature.  Take that for what it's worth.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,467 of 16,326
one ba entry is 60k yen
two ba mid tier 80k
flagship three ba 120k yen

the shape is quite interesting, reminds me of the Cosmic Ears micro shell and alclair curve.

back on topic, the eco system onkyo trying to sell is very confusing. with so many other options being an android player, what does onkyo intend to sell? special dsp or preset eq? and i can't quite deferentiate the hifi chipped smartphone and this, except the balance output.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,468 of 16,326

The Onkyo DP-X1 is starting to look pretty underwhelming. Glad I didn't preorder. I want a new connected hi-res DAP...I'm starting to lean toward the FiiO X7, though I know it's not perfect.

I've been following the same threads as you, trying to work out which one will convince me to part with my cash.

I had been leaning towards the Onkyo, but this latest information does concern me.

Future development is an inherent aspect of the X7 and I expect this will cover firmware too, although updates may take some time to emerge.

Larger companies have a habit of killing projects, even relatively successful ones, if they don't deliver the bottom line profit expected, so I wouldn't make any assumptions about long term support for this DAP.

Irrespective of the audio performance I certainly won't touch the Onkyo until these significant UI issues have been addressed.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,469 of 16,326
I've been following the same threads as you, trying to work out which one will convince me to part with my cash.

I had been leaning towards the Onkyo, but this latest information does concern me.

Future development is an inherent aspect of the X7 and I expect this will cover firmware too, although updates may take some time to emerge.

Larger companies have a habit of killing projects, even relatively successful ones, if they don't deliver the bottom line profit expected, so I wouldn't make any assumptions about long term support for this DAP.

Irrespective of the audio performance I certainly won't touch the Onkyo until these significant UI issues have been addressed.

I am now leaning toward the Questyle QP1R as it is getting fabulous reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back