ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 22, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,426 of 16,326
It's really starting to get me thinking was my wait worth it, as I lost on a good deal for a cowon p1 offer

I hope more impressions will come out as definitely I don't like what I am reading so far

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,427 of 16,326
^ I think you are really taking too much out of some very sparse impressions so far. We need some head-fi community reviews for sure, and they are just a few weeks away, sooner for members in Japan.

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,429 of 16,326
  How do you know it is a waste and unfinished, do you even know what the issues are? I know we hear about the issues, but I still haven't heard exactly what these issues are. They might be quite minor. The X7 is still having bugs ironed out as well so it is not sounding like it is that much ahead if ahead at all. The Onkyo might be released in a week for all we know.

Onkyo and Pioneer DAPs were recalled due to an issue
recalled means unfinished product..

as i said before.. 5 december is a long time after their release.. if they finish the problem within the time.. i will happily take their player of course.. if not which is means something wrong(problem)..i'll go to x7.. as simple as that.. :D..

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,431 of 16,326
Where is this December 5th date coming from? Is there an official announcement from Onkyo?

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,432 of 16,326
I'm not arguing either, and I will concede that a non-removable battery isn't my preferred approach. My belief is that while long run times are certainly awesome, and if the Onkyo had more I wouldn't complain, but really it is quite easy to charge your device. I'm sure some people like to have music on constantly, but for me and I'm sure quite a few others, plugging in your device while you sleep isn't really being tethered that restrictively.

There will never be a day in my life that I could, or would want to listen to 8 hours of music so long battery life is a feature that I won't realistically need. Will it kick me in the ass from time to time when I forget to charge at night and start my commute with low battery? Sure, but that won't ruin my day. More disappointing to me would be using a DAP with quiet mastered music and finding that it can't drive my headphones to a volume level I prefer. I had that with the A17, tried some 80s and 70s masters and just forget it in terms of volume with even my MDR 1A, just too darn quiet and uninvolving.

As for the Sony UI, I was actually complimenting it. I had an A17 not long back and I loved how easy it was to use. I think Sony has the UI thing pretty dialed in and if the Onkyo gets close I will be happy as I really am not a power user. I listen to albums and playlists I make up so basic functionality will do.

Its not that I listen for 8 hours strait, it's just that I don't have to think about charging my DAP often, sometimes its a couple of weeks, now having to change the battery in my phone is enough for me, so it's nice to not think about charging the DAP every couple of days.
I think it would be difficult for me to go back to that cycle of charging constantly now.
I did own the Sony a15 and think the power from that is delivered very differently, those 2 players have no sonic comparisons either, the zx2 will leave it in it's shadow in terms of driving power and audio quality, although the output power specs seem similar, this is not the case at all, and the A series of DAP isn't a very good sounding DAP.
I could not enjoy the A series total audio performance it was flat to me. The software on the A series is excellent tho, and works very well.
Another point is people need to use the TRRS output on the zx2, to really feel it's audio brilliance, which people are not doing, the standard TRS output does not sound nearly as good on the zx2. So this is adding to the confusion.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,433 of 16,326
Another point is people need to use the TRRS output on the zx2, to really feel it's audio brilliance, which people are not doing, the standard TRS output does not sound nearly as good on the zx2. So this is adding to the confusion.

I don't think anybody has ever said the ZX2 isn't a brilliant sounding DAP, certainly not me. It was the DAP I almost purchased twice, literally had it in the shopping cart and just had to click submit. I only ever hesitated due to the power. I think the ZX2 is gorgeous looking and I'm quite sure it sounds as good as it looks.

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,434 of 16,326
They won't be a problem, but y9u will face

1/ double amp ?
2/ will ur amp have balanced input to take in ? Otherwise it is a waste

Actually,

1) double amping isn't actually as bad as many people make it out to be, if anyone wants to hear the explanation I'll be happy to discuss it over PM. Most people honestly wouldn't be able to tell, or if they do, differences are often minimal. Basically, once you double amp, the first amp has such an I easy load that the signal deterioration from the first amp is minimal.

2) If the amp doesn't even have balanced, it must not be used with the onkyo's balanced output as it might end up damaging something :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,435 of 16,326
I like double amping myself... Certainly not bad for everyone.

Anyway, I think I'm not going to make this purchase, at least not now. I think adding a high end iem is the better route since I'm extremely satisfied with my LG V10. This will definitely stay on my radar, especially if it attains root. I love my electronics so this is a hard choice, but I just absolutely love the sound of my phone now.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,436 of 16,326
  Where is this December 5th date coming from? Is there an official announcement from Onkyo?

nope.. 5 december is timeline that i make myself.. 
because of this event https://www.facebook.com/jaben.indo/photos/a.357589330948883.76278.157610787613406/993274324047044/?type=3
haha.. sorry for confusing you.. lets hope onkyo finish their product as their schedule.. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #1,437 of 16,326

HERE WE GO! Mark the date guys, I hope this is it, I don't want to wait for uncertainties anymore, I almost pulled my trigger on Cowon P1!

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #1,438 of 16,326
Hmm yesterday i was surfing yodobashi and e-earphone and I could have sworn it did not have a certain release date.

I will hopefully be in Japan mid Dec and I will probably pull the trigger if I like it (sick of waiting for the joke.of a disaster that is the Geek Wave :frowning2: )

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,439 of 16,326
Hmm yesterday i was surfing yodobashi and e-earphone and I could have sworn it did not have a certain release date.

I will hopefully be in Japan mid Dec and I will probably pull the trigger if I like it (sick of waiting for the joke.of a disaster that is the Geek Wave
frown.gif
)

Please don't even mention that debacle LH Labs. 
mad.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,440 of 16,326

I will hopefully be in Japan mid Dec and I will probably pull the trigger if I like it (sick of waiting for the joke.of a disaster that is the Geek Wave
frown.gif
)

I just checked Yodobashi's site this afternoon (my time), in the morning it was still not specified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back