ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #1,411 of 16,326

I can summarize the Japanese review;

1. It was tested with a Shure SE846, both SE (stock) and Balanced (DIY) cables
  2. The reviewer was only given 10 minutes to test, so brief impressions
  3. Sound more thicker/powerful than a ZX1
  4. Detailed sound
  5. Doesn't alter the sound too much, compared to his Cayin N6. 
  6. Balanced output sounds much, much better than single ended
  7. ACG mode isn't as drastic as the jump from single to balanced; just a bit more focus in the bass
  8. "Clearly better than the ZX1. If it were over 100,000 yen, I would wait for the Fiio X7. However, with balanced output, streaming capabilities, and microSD expandability at this price and with this quality, it's a lot more impressive than similarly priced ZX1 and AK models. I want this much more than a used ZX2."
  9. A flaw is portability; there is no place to attach a lanyard or similar for carrying.
  10. Supposedly an official case will be released for it later, but at a price of a few thousand yen.
  11. The reviewer's conclusion: Buy this thing
  12. The Onkyo people left a pre-production model of the DP-X1 on the first floor available to the public with glitchy playback and non-functional balanced output. Why in the world would they do that?

thanks well zx1 comparison is not what i can make a purchase decision on but thanks anyway

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,413 of 16,326
  Oh..this DAP is not ready for release. 

Not necessarily, it just means that they provided a pre-production model (which isn't that bright). This just proves that making a solid dedicated Android DAP isn't simple. The ZX2 was in development for quite some time, the X7 is still being worked out so I think the Onkyo is still within acceptable market entrance time. The need to generate pre-release hype can really sting you as people hate waiting. I'm not sure why companies do this, seems counter-productive to me.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,414 of 16,326

They really need to give people time to give proper reviews instead of leaving pre-production models to the public and giving people up to 10 minutes of trial with the store employees sitting right across from them at a table.

Agreed! Thus far this has been a pathetic showing. Demos pulled form shops because of glitches, clearly issues with the demo unit the last guy tested. I pulled out based on a unit costing me, for the things I need, over 750.00 with no warranty. The risk was too great. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,415 of 16,326
  Agreed! Thus far this has been a pathetic showing. Demos pulled form shops because of glitches, clearly issues with the demo unit the last guy tested. I pulled out based on a unit costing me, for the things I need, over 750.00 with no warranty. The risk was too great. 

You would have warranty, but you would need to send it to pricejapan at your expense which isn't a plus for sure. I still think the DAP will be solid when released. A few glitches is normal and really you can be sure that this was marketing people rushing ahead of the developers saying how important it is  get pre-release exposure. Sure exposure is good, but only when it is good exposure!

I'm quite sure the development team is saying see, we told you we needed a few more weeks of testing.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,416 of 16,326
You would have warranty, but you would need to send it to pricejapan at your expense which isn't a plus for sure. I still think the DAP will be solid when released. A few glitches is normal and really you can be sure that this was marketing people rushing ahead of the developers saying how important it is  get pre-release exposure. Sure exposure is good, but only when it is good exposure!

I'm quite sure the development team is saying see, we told you we needed a few more weeks of testing.

Yes, for the warranty we need to send the unit back to Pricejapan. Not a plus as you said but at least it has a warranty and can be repaired with free of charge.

For the stable software and release date I think we have to wait for a while. Anyway DP-X1 is still my first target for android DAP which I never have one.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,417 of 16,326
http://unwire.hk/2015/10/22/onkyo-dpx1/mobile-music/musicplayers/

Here's another impression from Hong Kong. Translated by yours truly :p

Tested with an RHA T10i on single ended, found to have impactful bass and a dark background but overall transparency was not great.

In balanced with the AK Beyer IEM, it would found to be significantly clearer, richer, and more transparent.

That's briefly what it says summaries :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,419 of 16,326
http://unwire.hk/2015/10/22/onkyo-dpx1/mobile-music/musicplayers/

Here's another impression from Hong Kong. Translated by yours truly :p

Tested with an RHA T10i on single ended, found to have impactful bass and a dark background but overall transparency was not great.

In balanced with the AK Beyer IEM, it would found to be significantly clearer, richer, and more transparent.

That's briefly what it says summaries :)

0h....noo.....without transparency, what would music be like ? Listening in a 4x4 room ? ROFLMAO

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,420 of 16,326
I know this is silly questions, but since I'm a newbie for balances output so plz forgive me XD

1. Can I use balanced socket as line out socket to an internal amp?

2. Can I use 2.5mm TRRS conversion to 3.5mm for my headphone with DP-X1?

Thank for an answer.

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,421 of 16,326
AsianInvasion

Could you help with this? :p just the sound part :)

http://curiousbox.net/review/dap/onkyo-dpx1-pioneer-xdp-100r-hikaku/

Quick translation:

Sound:
"Both seem to have a flat sound, with the Pioneer sounding more stiff and the Onkyo sounding more mild with a larger soundstage. With the Onkyo, you have the choices of Balanced output and ACG mode, and even those options changed the sound greatly. I preferred the Onkyo of the two. Due to the small timeframe to test and get used to the player, I could not listen to them deeply."

Edit: Thought this was an important note on UI

"If I start talking about UI, I won't be able to stop, but in general, I got used to them quickly. However, their intuivity was so-so. Not as bad as Chinese DAPs, but they seemed to have their own quirks that were difficult to get used to. For those who have tried many different music player apps, you will have absolutely no trouble at all."

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,422 of 16,326
I know this is silly questions, but since I'm a newbie for balances output so plz forgive me XD

1. Can I use balanced socket as line out socket to an internal amp?

2. Can I use 2.5mm TRRS conversion to 3.5mm for my headphone with DP-X1?

Thank for an answer.

They won't be a problem, but y9u will face

1/ double amp ?
2/ will ur amp have balanced input to take in ? Otherwise it is a waste

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,425 of 16,326
  if this product not release on 5 december .. i'll go to x7 route.. what a waste... unfinished product we got here..  

How do you know it is a waste and unfinished, do you even know what the issues are? I know we hear about the issues, but I still haven't heard exactly what these issues are. They might be quite minor. The X7 is still having bugs ironed out as well so it is not sounding like it is that much ahead if ahead at all. The Onkyo might be released in a week for all we know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back