ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 22, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,396 of 16,326
Not to sound naggy, but we still haven't any concrete impression after yesterday's event? I really need to consider my options now that they have delayed the release date.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #1,397 of 16,326
  Not to sound naggy, but we still haven't any concrete impression after yesterday's event? I really need to consider my options now that they have delayed the release date.

maybe Japanese people need to sleep?
smile.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,398 of 16,326
Well, it's 9:12 PM in Japan, Sunday is almost over, I'll just have to wait till Monday I guess.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #1,400 of 16,326
^I'm not here to argue with you but this is a "portable DAP" so run time for me is no1, especially without a removable battery, if it's not important to you, enjoy your tethering to the wall or whatever floats your charge.
Now as for power, for me and my devices (mainly iem usage) I have more than enough, but for other people they may want more, I can only speak for me of coarse, and I am.
The UI could be improved. I agree, but it's solid and stable, and doesn't let you down.​

I'm not arguing either, and I will concede that a non-removable battery isn't my preferred approach. My belief is that while long run times are certainly awesome, and if the Onkyo had more I wouldn't complain, but really it is quite easy to charge your device. I'm sure some people like to have music on constantly, but for me and I'm sure quite a few others, plugging in your device while you sleep isn't really being tethered that restrictively.

There will never be a day in my life that I could, or would want to listen to 8 hours of music so long battery life is a feature that I won't realistically need. Will it kick me in the ass from time to time when I forget to charge at night and start my commute with low battery? Sure, but that won't ruin my day. More disappointing to me would be using a DAP with quiet mastered music and finding that it can't drive my headphones to a volume level I prefer. I had that with the A17, tried some 80s and 70s masters and just forget it in terms of volume with even my MDR 1A, just too darn quiet and uninvolving.

As for the Sony UI, I was actually complimenting it. I had an A17 not long back and I loved how easy it was to use. I think Sony has the UI thing pretty dialed in and if the Onkyo gets close I will be happy as I really am not a power user. I listen to albums and playlists I make up so basic functionality will do.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,401 of 16,326
DP-X1 review in German site. Anyone here can summarize it?

http://www.sempre-audio.at/Erstes_Hands-on_-_Onkyo_DP-X1_Digital_Audio_Player_fuer_Hi-Res_Audio_on_the_road.id.4648.htm

Impression by Japanese guy who listened to DP-X1 at Yodobashi event, 21th November. Japanese language of course
http://blog.livedoor.jp/entry_s1/archives/52368480.html

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,404 of 16,326
Already added impression by Japanese guy who listened to it at 21th November in the post above. We need someone who understand Japanese though :D

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,405 of 16,326
Google translates it pretty coherently. Unlike with Japanese
tongue.gif

Basically it says it's good, that's it, no comparisons lol. Pretty useless haha.

S​eems like as often is the case, head-fi members are going to do the heavy lifting and provide the useful user reviews. I really must admit that I think Onkyo and Pioneer were quite foolish to not at least get some reviewers lined up. Maybe this is part of their plan, keep everything bottled up and then hope for a big explosion of enthusiasm once some consumer reviews hit the Internet?

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,406 of 16,326
S​eems like as often is the case, head-fi members are going to do the heavy lifting and provide the useful user reviews. I really must admit that I think Onkyo and Pioneer were quite foolish to not at least get some reviewers lined up. Maybe this is part of their plan, keep everything bottled up and then hope for a big explosion of enthusiasm once some consumer reviews hit the Internet?

With the Pioneer, we actually already have some demo sets floating around in Singapore. It supposedly is on the lean side, but with a very impactful bass. Soundstage is supposedly on the narrower side. I haven't gone down to try it yet, kinda busy, but he Onkyo is where my money is (or is hoping to be) loll.

Problem with Onkyo is that, the company is very fragmented. Different segments handle different products. I did actually try to approach them for a review unit, I was directed all over the place and none of the different segments seemed to carry the product. Most don't even know of its existence, (as with the local Singapore distributor)

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,407 of 16,326
With the Pioneer, we actually already have some demo sets floating around in Singapore. It supposedly is on the lean side, but with a very impactful bass. Soundstage is supposedly on the narrower side. I haven't gone down to try it yet, kinda busy, but he Onkyo is where my money is (or is hoping to be) loll.

Problem with Onkyo is that, the company is very fragmented. Different segments handle different products. I did actually try to approach them for a review unit, I was directed all over the place and none of the different segments seemed to carry the product. Most don't even know of its existence, (as with the local Singapore distributor)

Sadly this makes sense, I think that despite it being produced by Onkyo, a DAP is really far down the list of important consumer products. It can be great to have the resources of a big company to get the scale of economy right, but as you have rightly pointed out, big companies can be quite fragmented.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,408 of 16,326
i am starting to loose my patience with the silence surrounding audio impressions of this dap, if within a week we still are in the same position i will start to assume its a lame product

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,409 of 16,326
Already added impression by Japanese guy who listened to it at 21th November in the post above. We need someone who understand Japanese though
biggrin.gif

I can summarize the Japanese review;

1. It was tested with a Shure SE846, both SE (stock) and Balanced (DIY) cables
  2. The reviewer was only given 10 minutes to test, so brief impressions
  3. Sound more thicker/powerful than a ZX1
  4. Detailed sound
  5. Doesn't alter the sound too much, compared to his Cayin N6. 
  6. Balanced output sounds much, much better than single ended
  7. ACG mode isn't as drastic as the jump from single to balanced; just a bit more focus in the bass
  8. "Clearly better than the ZX1. If it were over 100,000 yen, I would wait for the Fiio X7. However, with balanced output, streaming capabilities, and microSD expandability at this price and with this quality, it's a lot more impressive than similarly priced ZX1 and AK models. I want this much more than a used ZX2."
  9. A flaw is portability; there is no place to attach a lanyard or similar for carrying.
  10. Supposedly an official case will be released for it later, but at a price of a few thousand yen.
  11. The reviewer's conclusion: Buy this thing
  12. The Onkyo people left a pre-production model of the DP-X1 on the first floor available to the public with glitchy playback and non-functional balanced output. Why in the world would they do that?

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #1,410 of 16,326

I can summarize the Japanese review;

1. It was tested with a Shure SE846, both SE (stock) and Balanced (DIY) cables
  2. The reviewer was only given 10 minutes to test, so brief impressions
  3. Sound more thicker/powerful than a ZX1
  4. Detailed sound
  5. Doesn't alter the sound too much, compared to his Cayin N6. 
  6. Balanced output sounds much, much better than single ended
  7. ACG mode isn't as drastic as the jump from single to balanced; just a bit more focus in the bass
  8. "Clearly better than the ZX1. If it were over 100,000 yen, I would wait for the Fiio X7. However, with balanced output, streaming capabilities, and microSD expandability at this price and with this quality, it's a lot more impressive than similarly priced ZX1 and AK models. I want this much more than a used ZX2."
  9. A flaw is portability; there is no place to attach a lanyard or similar for carrying.
  10. Supposedly an official case will be released for it later, but at a price of a few thousand yen.
  11. The reviewer's conclusion: Buy this thing
  12. The Onkyo people left a pre-production model of the DP-X1 on the first floor available to the public with glitchy playback and non-functional balanced output. Why in the world would they do that?

Oh..this DAP is not ready for release. So far the things we know for sure. From the three different folks who have only been granted 10 minutes. Sounds good in balanced, very large(not so portable), only pocket for carry, glitchy UI, glitchy playback, warranty only good in Japan. 600.00 USD plus what ever two micro sd cards will cost you, plus a case. I have tried to summarize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back