Official NYC Spring 2011 Meet March 19th
Feb 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #46 of 405

Quote:
revolink24,

When you catch your train to Grand Central or better yet Penn Station, please know that It is only a 22 minute ride on the LIRR, and from there you can catch a 3 minute cab ride to the meet. I would offer to pick you up, but the host is always in the middle of insanity and putting out fires.
For my job, I travel back and forth to Rochester every couple of weeks (usually fly, and then get stuck overnight because of the snow, but being a 21 year Xerox veteran, I can say that I love that city (although it's too damn cold from October until May). There's an old joke about Rochester, and that is, there are 2 seasons in Rochester. August and winter 
smile.gif

Would love to come for this. I'm a maybe at this point of time. I know what you mean buddy living in Rochester for 6 years...studied at RIT :)

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #47 of 405
lol RIT, yeah I was there for a couple of years. Frozen waste land of doom and geekness.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #49 of 405
How can you not like a Great Lake that pours dead fish on it's shores, has a tide, and dumps into the Genesee River (where the beer comes from).
On a more serious note, the three P's have one of the countries highest quality of life in the US. I had a Ford Taurus and I went from paying $1800/year insurance, to $600.
If I would have stayed, I could have rented an nice size house for $800/month and they were willing to use the first year's rent towards the $130K asking price. Lease to own, Nice.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #51 of 405
Sunny and 50° would be a welcome addition. We'll call it Edition 50.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #52 of 405
So for my Ari-69 amp, I need to keep the cost inside of $69 excluding the case.  What about the PS?  Can we exlude that?  What about parts we already have (like a wall wart)?

BTW, I'm totally in for this meet :D

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #53 of 405
The power supply IS included in the price. If you think a wallwart from MPJA (or another electronics discounter) would work for the circuit use that price. 

The use of parts you already have on hand is OK, but they should be accounted for at a reasonable estimate of current retail value - what you would expect someone who dosnt have the parts to pay.

Surplus/steeeeeply discounted parts are totally OK as long as they are in stock. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #55 of 405
Come on down...you're the next contestant on "The Headphone is Right"!

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #57 of 405
Quote:
On a more serious note, the three P's have one of the countries highest quality of life in the US.

3 Ps? what are those? 
which countries are you referring to?
tongue.gif

Quote:
Hmm!  I'm going to see if I can sneak off to this one! 

cool - it's been too long since you've joined us!

Quote:
Asr said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: had to cancel my flight, so not coming after all. Forgot about a conflict with the date.

bummer. hope you can resched & make it.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #59 of 405

Quote:

3 Ps? what are those? 
which countries are you referring to?
tongue.gif

I was talking about Rochester being voted as one of the best "quality of life "cities in the US. There are three neighborhoods (he 3 P's)....Pittsford, Penbrook and...
I can't remember the third ( Rochestarians feel free to chime in hear). Fairport is also beautiful. I went from paying $1600 to $600 insurance on a Ford Taurus because crime was nearly non-existant (don't know about now,though), and got bumped up to full coverage.
My friend was driving me from Webster (manufacturing for Xerox) to Fairport  (our Field engineering offices) and said, "watch this"! We were on Jefferson Road (Route 15A I believe and the light wen from red to green, and we sat there until it went red again, and not one car honked at us. Could you imagine that? In NYC, they would have thrown Milk Duds at us, or worse. I don't think I heard a car honk once, in 3 weeks if you can fathom that.

But it's too damn cold, up there.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #60 of 405

Quote:
In NYC, they would have thrown Milk Duds at us, or worse.

NYC is awful at this.  It seems if you wait more than a second someone will honk at you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back