Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,051 of 10,664
I started with a Maxell 32GB CF card 400x from Fry's -- worked fine in the Tarken board.  Then, I got a SD-to-CF adapter card that matched the one on Tarkan's web page (given before).  It has the words "SD XC 4th Generation Extreme CF Adaptor" on it.  I got it off the Amazon marketplace, but now I see Tarkan sells those, too.  The Tarkan page has pictures so you can match visually. 

So far, I've tried a SanDisk 64GB micro SD with SD card adapter (worked fine) and now a PNY 128GB SDXC Class 10 High Speed Flash Memory Card (on Amazon) with the CF adapter.  I took care to use the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to format it to FAT32 before installing it.    The HP software wipes the card and makes one partition out of it.  The cards often come with two partitions by default which I think messes up the iTunes formatting if not dealt with.  

Order of physical install:  SDXC -> SD-CF Adapter -> Tarkan board -> iPod 5.5G.

As for read/write speeds, the latest 128GB version is fastest but still pretty slow.  The Maxell was very slow (took several hours to fill 32GB), and it struck me that the 64GB micro SD version was slow too -- but I'm not surprised as there were three interface boards in play.  Loading with the 128GB card took about 2.5 hours for 75GB in iTunes, then I side loaded some high-rez tracks for Rockbox which was faster (about 1 hour for 40GB).  I don't plan to load/reload very often if I can help it. 

About battery:  Sorry I probably can't give a good sense for that because I don't run continuously and I try to charge so that I don't run out.   I use an external amp with LOD pretty much always. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,052 of 10,664
Latest update on mSATA and RB issue from Trone ....

"The communication with the SSD is completely unreliable no matter what I do, it seems; data are corrupted randomly and writing rarely works, and even the basic identifying information about the SSD such as the model name is corrupted randomly when read :/

I need to do some more experiments, but it's really not obvious what the issue is here.
"

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,054 of 10,664
Hi,

I'm interested to know how are the performance with the tarkan board + cf to sd adapter: once everything is loaded on the sd is it playing "like a breeze" or choppy or else....

Does it work with apple original firmware or do you have to hack/root it some way....

regards

Simon

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #1,055 of 10,664
Quote:
That does not sound very promising :frowning2:

I was overly optimistic and now this sounds like a daunting task. But for me the RB is the deal breaker. No way I will go back to use the iTunes. Never ever.
rolleyes.gif

I am good with a few 5.5g/128GB CF's  and a couple of 7G/160GB's. The CF swaps for the 5.5g's have greatly improved the battery life while allowing a couple of internal caps.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,056 of 10,664
Hi,

I'm interested to know how are the performance with the tarkan board + cf to sd adapter: once everything is loaded on the sd is it playing "like a breeze" or choppy or else....

Does it work with apple original firmware or do you have to hack/root it some way....

regards

Simon

The Tarkan board works with an SD to CF adapter and SDXC cards on the iPod Video 5.5G. Stock iPod OS is fine. See my previous post a few posts back in this thread. If you are asking about later models, I do not have direct experience - perhaps Tarkan is tracking this more closely.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,057 of 10,664
Hey Folks, 

I need your help. I've modded my 7th Gen iPod Classic (Slim Version) with your instructions because of a harddrive failure. The SSD Which I've used is the Super Talent 128 GB ZT-2 DURA ZIF (FZM28GW18P). Everythings fine with installing it. But when I start my iPod a red cross is appearing and the iPod is not booting. Otherwise I can't turn it into diskmode or let it be shown in the disk utility in Mac OSX. What am I doing wrong. Or haven't I understand something wrong that the drive isn't supoorted???

Need your help

Thanks in advance

Toby 

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #1,058 of 10,664
Quote:
Hey Folks, 

I need your help. I've modded my 7th Gen iPod Classic (Slim Version) with your instructions because of a harddrive failure. The SSD Which I've used is the Super Talent 128 GB ZT-2 DURA ZIF (FZM28GW18P). Everythings fine with installing it. But when I start my iPod a red cross is appearing and the iPod is not booting. Otherwise I can't turn it into diskmode or let it be shown in the disk utility in Mac OSX. What am I doing wrong. Or haven't I understand something wrong that the drive isn't supoorted???

Need your help

Thanks in advance

Toby 

Did you plug it into iTunes and let it do a restore?

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,060 of 10,664
Quote:
first of all thanks for your fast answer. Yes, I plugged it in into itunes, but the iPod is not appearing there. Do I need to format the SSD first?! 
Disk utility isn't showing up the iPod, also.

Make sure you push the ribbon cable tightly, also turn around the drive if it's not recognized it could be that the contacts are upside down.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,064 of 10,664
Quote:
I've tried this but it's not working. 

Or do I have to format the SSD first before putting it in the iPod. The SSD brandnew. So I have to order a USB case on amazon? Any ideas....
triportsad.gif

Please keep us posted on how did it go after formatting the drive on your computer using the zif to usb adapter, I am getting an iPod 7th gen today and I am particularly interested because my plan is to upgrade it to 256 GB mSATA card in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back