Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,066 of 10,664
Hi guys, just made an account but I've following this thread for about a year. Would really appreciate some help trying to get this mod working!

Anyways I bought a Crucial 128GB SSD and SSD to 40 pin zif adapter as the hard drive in my iPod 7G failed. After formatting the drive to FAT 32 I put it in the iPod but its not being recognized and I'm getting a sad face.

So then I tried the SSD drive into an iPod 5.5G which is working fine and it still isn't getting recognized and producing a sad face.

As far as I've read the SSD should definitely work in the 5.5G right? What else can be wrong? All I can tell is the adapter or the connections(which I've double checked).

Anyone got any ideas?

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #1,067 of 10,664
Ok Folks,

I've got some bad news for ya. After the arrival of the case for the Super Talent SSD and formatting it in the Journaled Format and FAT32 in the Disk Utility of OS X, the SSD won't work in the iPod. I've tried several times with the ribbon cable from each side without any success.

The SSD is working fine in the case, I'm able to copy files and open them. But on the iPod it won't recognise it. So I send it back and keep on looking for other possibilities.

Here are the specs once again:

iPod 7.th Gen. 160GB
Super Talent Dura ZT2 128GB ZIF

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #1,068 of 10,664
I've got some bad news for ya. After the arrival of the case for the Super Talent SSD and formatting it in the Journaled Format and FAT32 in the Disk Utility of OS X, the SSD won't work in the iPod. I've tried several times with the ribbon cable from each side without any success.

What worked for me was to use Windows to format the disk in FAT32. If you can run a Windows OS in VMWare Fusion or Parallels, that will work.

After formatting, you can use the iPod on the Mac as usual; the disk format doesn't meaningfully affect what you do on it.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,069 of 10,664
Do you have the same Super Talent SSD with 128GB working in your iPod.

The problem is that the iPod is not recognising the SSD and showing a Red Cross "X" on the screen. I've got no problem to format the disk. In a ZIF to USB case it's working fine!

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,074 of 10,664
Quote:
Ok Folks,

The SSD is working fine in the case, I'm able to copy files and open them. But on the iPod it won't recognise it. So I send it back and keep on looking for other possibilities.

Here are the specs once again:

iPod 7.th Gen. 160GB
Super Talent Dura ZT2 128GB ZIF

If you trawl back through this thread the one thing you should see to the best of my knowledge is that no one has got a ssd (I am not including the tarkan adapter and cf card in that description fact fans!)working in the 7th gen.  You can either sell your 7th gen and get a 5 or 5.5 and that would work, or you can get the aforementioned tarkan's adapter and a 128gig flash card (prices are dropping now, £78 for a 128 card)which should work.

I'm keeping a half eye out for a cheap video ipod to mod but nothing yet sadly.  I'm a little surprised the prices are so high right now.  Was expecting them to be much cheaper than they are.

Cheers

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,075 of 10,664
Quick question.  Any reason not to consider the 60gig 5th gen video if I want to do the msata mod (Not bothered by rockbox one way or the other!).

Cheers

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #1,076 of 10,664
Quote:
Quick question.  Any reason not to consider the 60gig 5th gen video if I want to do the msata mod (Not bothered by rockbox one way or the other!).

Cheers

No reason, the 5th gen 60GB iPod video is as good for SSD mods as the 5th or the 5.5th.  

Keep an eye on Craigslist, today I scored a nice 80GB 5.5th gen iPod today for just $60 and it works and looks new!

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,077 of 10,664
Nice one!

Uk so no craigslist for me.  I have thought about just getting a ipod mini (again, knackered my other one) and sticking a 128 gig cf in there instead.  Ipod videos in the uk are still best part of £60-90 not including p+p which when you add on the msata prices get a bit too much to justify.  I do have a 128 ssd modded iriver but in all honesty whilst I love the sound the player is quite big these days (though it amuses me that with rockbox, it plays all the major file formats, does gapless and still has good battery life on the original battery (12+ hours!) which all the so called hi end players fail at!).

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,078 of 10,664
Hi, I purchased the 60GB Mach Xtreme 1.8" ZIF Pata SSD drive this week and fitted it to my 5th Gen iPod 30GB Slim, It seems to be stuck in a bit of a loop. It asks me to connect to iTunes to restore, and when I do the iPod goes to the 'Do Not Disconnect' screen for a few seconds then goes to 'Ok to Disconnect' and nothing happens.

The iPod isn't picked up by my Mac (in disk utility or system info) or in my PC (in device manager or drives), i've tried 2 different USB cables which I know work as I used them for my iPhone. I've so far tried the following:

Held Down Menu and Select until the iPod reboots
Held Down Menu, Select, then Menu and Play when it reboots
Held Down Menu, Select, then the 'Back/Rewind' key to get the iPod into diagnostics mode.

From Diagnostics i've ran a scan the screen eventually turns green, which I assume means everything has passed?, I've also selected the rest option and again nothing changes once it reboots.

I can get the iPod into Disk Mode but this also doesnt seem to make any difference.

Does the SSD need to be formatted before it's fitted into the iPod?

Thanks for any help.

Drive: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-009-MX

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,079 of 10,664
Got to be worth formatting the drive, just to eliminate that particular option!  Just a wild stab in the dark but after you have installed the hard drive have you tried plugging it in from the mains charger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back