Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #2,251 of 3,817
Has anyone used the HE1000 with the Auralic Taurus mk II? How's the synergy? Thx

I use my Taurus MKII with HE1000, synergy is excellent, both in balanced and standard connection, even if technically std should be better given the low impedance of the headphone. Taurus is connected via XLR to a Vega using filter 2.

I have changed the HiFiman stock cable though, with the stock cable I have found some harshness, so now I'm using the FAW Noir HPC MKII and I must say this cable is a real bargain, same details and transparency as the stock plus no more harshness.

Thanks for sharing, I have a Vega too, so Taurus II seemed like a good choice

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #2,252 of 3,817

I use my Taurus MKII with HE1000, synergy is excellent, both in balanced and standard connection, even if technically std should be better given the low impedance of the headphone. Taurus is connected via XLR to a Vega using filter 2.

I have changed the HiFiman stock cable though, with the stock cable I have found some harshness, so now I'm using the FAW Noir HPC MKII and I must say this cable is a real bargain, same details and transparency as the stock plus no more harshness.

I have the same cable and use it with my Hifiman HE6 and Audeze LCD 3F and I like it. No harshness and still better treble and bass extension.A bit clearer and refined sounded as well. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #2,254 of 3,817
I just got  balanced Silvergarde S cables for my HEK1000 from Norne Audio. It did take a while to get them, but they seem to bring out the best in the HE1000. There may be cheaper (and more expensive) alternatives, but I am pretty sure that I hit the sweet spot for cables for me personally.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #2,255 of 3,817
I tested the HEK but found it pretty soft, too much soft to my liking.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #2,256 of 3,817

What amp were you using them with? I find them soft with my HA-1 as well, not my Studio Six though.

Mar 12, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #2,257 of 3,817

Using my HE1000 (stock) direct with Chord Dave, using AK380 (16/44 rips mostly) as source. Great headphone, which I consider to be about 90+% perfect. Only weaknesses are they are not quite as good as, say, the HD800 at resolving complex classical music (still pretty good though) and there are times (not always) when it would have been nicer to have just a tiny bit more top-end sparkle. A cable upgrade might address some of that. I've heard a number of the top flight headphones (not Orpheus or Ether) and I consider the HE1000 the best of the bunch for my tastes - most genres and a leaning towards detail in preference to cosy rich warmth. Cheers

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #2,258 of 3,817

I don't think they're particularly soft. To echo other people's sentiments, I think the HE1000 pairs well with a non-colored, neutral SS amp that can properly drive them. I wouldn't use a tube amp due to its warming characteristics but I have little experience in that venue so someone may dispute that.

My Deckard on high gain doesn't get too loud even at 12 o'clock. It just makes them that much more clear -- I don't hear any 'softness' at all other than a smooth, musical, yet highly detailed sound.

And yes, upgrading the cable for this skeptic really lost any harsh or fatiguing characteristics of the high end. I spent less than $100 on a high quality one -- though I will be finding out in less than a month if a Norne cable improves on that even more. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #2,259 of 3,817
I was auditioning them side by side with the HD800S and LCD3 and each time I picked up the HEk I had to adjust up the volume, hence I found it soft. it led me to question the store person if the amp was not powerful enough, but it could power the HD800S easily so amp power wasn't the issue. I think the HEK is one for longer periods of listening with less fatigue, however I wasn't amazed to the point that I felt I had to get it.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #2,260 of 3,817
I was auditioning them side by side with the HD800S and LCD3 and each time I picked up the HEk I had to adjust up the volume, hence I found it soft. it led me to question the store person if the amp was not powerful enough, but it could power the HD800S easily so amp power wasn't the issue. I think the HEK is one for longer periods of listening with less fatigue, however I wasn't amazed to the point that I felt I had to get it.

I agree with you 100%.

Had the HD800S been released, the HE1000 would not have been for me such an impulse buy. I've not much exposure to the LCD3, having heard these only twice - once in 2014 and another in 2015. And each time, these were connected to multi-kilobucks equipment. So I was never sure if I was hearing the headphones or the equipment and cabling.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,261 of 3,817

Not sure how volume correlates to softness. Some headphones require more power than others, hence they would necessitate turning the amp up a little more to get to the same listening level as another headphone. A CD recording with higher dynamic range vs the same album, but more compressed, would require the same volume turning up but would ultimate result in a more satisfying listening experience.

Like I said, once I get the HE1000 to moderate/high listening levels I don't hear 'softness' at all. If you preferred the HD800s sound signature, that's absolutely your preference, but that's another story.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,262 of 3,817
I tested the HD800S and LCD3 alongside the HEK to determine where the HEK would lie in terms of dynamic range, soundstage, clarity, accuracy, image representation, bass, treble... I absolutely hate the HD800(S) for its treble peaks, I'm the kind that prefer the darker kind of phones. But the HD800S excelled in its soundstage, accuracy, details. the LCD3 as expected is the best to me in terms of lushness and bass, but isn't great in its highs. the HEK floated in between these two phones, it's neither irritating to me but neither did it particularly excite me in any area. however what I found weird was that I had to keep turning up the volume to hear the details, hence I think it's kind of soft.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #2,263 of 3,817
Seems to be a known complaint, some find them soft, lacking impact
(I think it's a minority, though not insignificant, though I obviously have no scientific sample to back this). Some like the HE6 better in these areas, driven well. I do think the amp makes a big difference, and not just in how loud you can go. And I've heard 2 aftermarket cables, Norne Zoetic and Dana's HEK cable, which bring overall SQ up some notches. My $0.02.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,265 of 3,817
Which is why it's best not to comparison listen :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back