Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #2,281 of 3,817

Sorry, I meant that I did not compare the "sound" of the Silver Dragon to the "sound" of other aftermarket cables for the HE-1000. Compared to the stock cables I like it very much.

The reason why the sub-bass of the HE-1000 seems quite soft to me (punch and attack could be better) is probably the extremely thin diaphragma. The sub-bass of my HD 800 S is more present, more defined, seems to be faster. The general bass quality of the HE-1000 is still great.

@[u][color=rgb(0, 102, 204)]jhljhl[/color][/u]
Yeah, I do like the presentation of the HE-1000. You describe very well, how it sounds.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #2,282 of 3,817
  Someone please recommend a Desktop amp, that might better suit the HE1000. Not too expensive,I am an old age pensioner after all, and i need to eat occasionally!.

In my opinion, the MicroZOTL 2 is MAGICAL with the HE-1000's.  In its basic form, the price is $1100 US.  That's the version that I have, and that's what I described in my HE-1000 Beta Tester Review

I'm quite happy with the astoundingly phenomenal sound from the unit with STOCK power supply but there are allegedly improvements to be had with a power supply upgrade.  I don't doubt that, but I'm also not feeling the urge to "upgrade" the power supply.  I also feel no desire whatsoever--NONE/ZERO/Nada--to do "tube rolling," but LOTS of people are doing that as well, and they even seem to think it's "fun" to screw around switching back and forth between various tubes of various brands and vintages; that is quite perplexing to me.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #2,283 of 3,817

Someone please recommend a Desktop amp, that might better suit the HE1000. Not too expensive,I am an old age pensioner after all, and i need to eat occasionally!.

In my opinion, the MicroZOTL 2 is MAGICAL with the HE-1000's.  In its basic form, the price is $1100 US.  That's the version that I have, and that's what I described in my HE-1000 Beta Tester Review

I'm quite happy with the astoundingly phenomenal sound from the unit with STOCK power supply but there are allegedly improvements to be had with a power supply upgrade.  I don't doubt that, but I'm also not feeling the urge to "upgrade" the power supply.  I also feel no desire whatsoever--NONE/ZERO/Nada--to do "tube rolling," but LOTS of people are doing that as well, and they even seem to think it's "fun" to screw around switching back and forth between various tubes of various brands and vintages; that is quite perplexing to me.

I agree that the ZOTL and HEK make a great pair in stock form. I did order the Linear Tube Audio LPS, though (waiting for it), and have tried a few pairs of tubes, but an back with the stock tubes right now. Just sayin'

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #2,284 of 3,817
Maybe this has been posted before but what eq settings are you using for your HE1000?
Currently I'm adding a bit round 40hz and taking the edge off at 7khz
Currently playing with the eq to add more body to the midrange around the 1-3khz range.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,285 of 3,817
I'm using Tyll's settings from his review of the HE-1000 minus the change he uses around 700Hz. That region sounds crystal clear to me. I enjoy the slight boost at the low end and the correction around 7khz.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,286 of 3,817
  Maybe this has been posted before but what eq settings are you using for your HE1000?
Currently playing with the eq to add more body to the midrange around the 1-3khz range.

Nothing, I just normally pair it with the QP1R.  

It is fun using the 1 and 3 dots XBass settings on the Micro iCAN SE with the HE1000, though.  The 3 dots XBass switch immediately turns the HE1000 into a bass behemoth! 

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,287 of 3,817

Sorry, I meant that I did not compare the "sound" of the Silver Dragon to the "sound" of other aftermarket cables for the HE-1000. Compared to the stock cables I like it very much.

The reason why the sub-bass of the HE-1000 seems quite soft to me (punch and attack could be better) is probably the extremely thin diaphragma. The sub-bass of my HD 800 S is more present, more defined, seems to be faster. The general bass quality of the HE-1000 is still great.

@[u][color=rgb(0, 102, 204)]jhljhl[/color][/u]
Yeah, I do like the presentation of the HE-1000. You describe very well, how it sounds.

The Auralic Vega/Taurus + HE1000 balanced produces a harder hitting bass attack but remains somewhat laid back.  I wonder about the rag + yggy schiit combo? 

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #2,288 of 3,817

The Auralic Vega/Taurus + HE1000 balanced produces a harder hitting bass attack but remains somewhat laid back.  I wonder about the rag + yggy schiit combo? 

I've heard the rag + yggy schiit combo.  Awesome. For more details, send a PM to reddog, who owns the HE-1000s, the Ragnarok, and the Yggdrasil.  (I didn't ask his permission to drop his name, but he's very cool.  I don't think he'll mind.)

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #2,289 of 3,817

I add 0.5db at 45hz and 2db at 30hz. I also add 1-2db between 1.5 and 3 khz. The slight 7khz spike is no problem for me.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2,291 of 3,817
Apr 13, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,292 of 3,817
I've heard the rag + yggy schiit combo.  Awesome. For more details, send a PM to reddog, who owns the HE-1000s, the Ragnarok, and the Yggdrasil.  (I didn't ask his permission to drop his name, but he's very cool.  I don't think he'll mind.)

Does he have the auralics too though?

Hi the Yggdrasil/ Ragnarock combo can may the HE1K sing like a muse of old. The bass is deeper and textured, with good slam and presence. The mids are lush, highly detailed and transparent. The treble is spot on perfect, with plenty of micro detail, without any fatiguing sybilance. I use the yggy/ rag combo, when I want to do some critical listening; otherwise I mainly use my Gungnir Multibit/ Mjolnir 2.
I have no experience with the Auralics (is Auralic a amp or a dac?).

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,293 of 3,817

Sorry to interrupt here, but please only recommend gear you have experience with. People are spending money here. Would you feel comfortable getting advice for an expensive purchase from someone who had no experience beyond reading the forums?  Don't answer that -- just don't do it any more please. 
smile.gif

Based on fpsoft1's post, I am now interested in the Violectric V281. Just because your friend says 'My neighbor like his Mustang auto' that does not mean he can't say it, even if he does not own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back