Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Oct 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3,918 of 4,655
On the bus, I was basically giving everyone a demo of my Low-Fi WoodTones (Over Ear).  Someone handed them back to me and said,
"They're loud."
As if that was a good thing!!!  She didn't even notice the increase in quality from her Ear Pods and this.
She doesn't even think they're worth $64 (they originally cost $100).

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,919 of 4,655
On the bus, I was basically giving everyone a demo of my Low-Fi WoodTones (Over Ear).  Someone handed them back to me and said,

"They're loud."

As if that was a good thing!!!  She didn't even notice the increase in quality from her Ear Pods and this.

Thats pretty normal really. I'm pretty sure that most non-audiophiles can not tell the difference in audio quality right away. They are also probably not paying attention much to the quality anyways (Most people always focus on loudness or bass or w/e). When I got my first audiophile headphones I could not tell the difference. I didn't give up though and noticed about a week or two later when I did a comparison with my old cans. For some people, you might have to get used to the sound before being able to tell the difference.

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3,920 of 4,655

"They're loud."

Thats pretty normal really. I'm pretty sure that most non-audiophiles can not tell the difference in audio quality right away. They are also probably not paying attention much to the quality anyways (Most people always focus on loudness or bass or w/e). When I got my first audiophile headphones I could not tell the difference. I didn't give up though and noticed about a week or two later when I did a comparison with my old cans. For some people, you might have to get used to the sound before being able to tell the difference.

When I got my antec dBs IEMS it took me a while to realise the better bass response from my old generic cans. Sounded the same at first, same with my PortaPro, I only noticed when I put the dBs on to go out.

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #3,921 of 4,655
 Originally posted by BWAS1000
Originally posted by RainHaven  

When I got my antec dBs IEMS it took me a while to realise the better bass response from my old generic cans. Sounded the same at first, same with my PortaPro, I only noticed when I put the dBs on to go out.

When I got the WoodTones, I could clearly hear a HUGE difference between them and the stock Eapple ear pods.

I'm really wondering if people have hearing damage, because I always thought my hearing was bad, but now I'm just starting to think I have difficulty picking out words in a lot of background noise.
Also, the other day, my friend had me listen to her favorite band: Ghost Town.  I didn't have my headphones on me, so I decided to listen with her cheap IEM's.
Never again..  It had the most congested of congestible congests of a soundstace that I have ever heard, it was so distorted that I couldn't pick out most of the words, and it was just terrible.  The only thing good about that experience, was me liking the song.
Needless to say, I listened to the song again with my headphones, and, besides the mediocre mastering, it was overall great.
I'm not sure I want to spoil her IEM's when I get the M-100's, but the desire to show her the darkness is strong.  Then again, the custom plate will definitely draw her attention.  I'll have another post opportunity some time after Christmas.

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,922 of 4,655
Funny, my venture into audiophilism was the Bose ie2 which I was gifted. I had no experience whatsoever back then but I still thought I could get more for my money (better sound). I remember finding the Bose rather bland. Then I returned them, researched for like a week and stumbled on jokers review. I decided on the etymotic hf3.
I was actually disappointed when I upgraded to the dt880, it wasn't that much better...

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #3,924 of 4,655

"They're loud."

Huh. With my gear people almost always notice the clarity first.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #3,925 of 4,655
Huh. With my gear people almost always notice the clarity first.

Ah, that reminds me. I let someone try my DITA Answer IEMs at school on Friday. He listened and told me it was a lot more crisper. Then I told him the price and he was freaking out ($650). "You're a real music listener!" That response made me quite happy instead of the usual "Why would you spend so much?"

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #3,926 of 4,655
Ummmm.......maybe my DAD have make me to get into the Audio World........

When I was 10 years old (2009) my parents took me to the Hong Kong Audio Visual Show and started the money burning journey for me........ When I went to the show, there are some $1 billion speaker and there are Sennheiser HD800 for demo. I was shocked after I heard the HD800 and after that I started to listen every speaker seriously.

After the Show, I bought a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air iPod docking 3 months later, next my parents bought me a Bowers & Wilkins C5, after that I bought a pair of Shure SRH550DJ. But I started to play computer games after that........ So I haven't touch this hobby until I was 15 (now).

A month ago I bought the Sennheiser HD518 because I always want to have a pair of Sennheiser's can. Then I get back to this hobby agin and I purchase the HD218 for portable use. Finally, I bought a DT990 premium 250ohm last week.

So after 5 years, I am into this hobby again and this will last VERY long time.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #3,927 of 4,655
I can't say I really have "converted" anyone, being a newbie myself, but my first iems were d-jays and I was amazed at the isolation vs cheap buds. When I got the q-jays I sold the d-jays to my younger brother who found bliss in being able to ignore his mother nagging. I've kept up the audiophilism a little, but I don't think he has though. :frowning2:

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #3,928 of 4,655
  lol...you never who at school/workplace is the undercover/weekend audiophile.  Gotta do some background checks before declaring undisputed knowledge over the audio kingdom!

I'd be more inclined to counter your argument if you had quoted the right words.  If you, for some reason, want to know why I think there aren't any other audiophiles at my school, I'll explain.
1) I live in West Virginia.  Do research on this state, and you'll know what I mean.
2) I've already tried to see if there are any others like me.  In the band, the best headphones besides mine are $40 Sony on ear headphones.  The best headphones I have seen in the school are Beats Pro's.  Other than that, I've seen wireless Sony's, my own WoodTones, Apple Earpods, fake Monster on ear DNA's.
3) The only people I haven't really checked are all of the teachers, and music theory.  Those are the most likely to have good HP's.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #3,929 of 4,655
I'd be more inclined to counter your argument if you had quoted the right words.  If you, for some reason, want to know why I think there aren't any other audiophiles at my school, I'll explain.
1) I live in West Virginia.  Do research on this state, and you'll know what I mean.
2) I've already tried to see if there are any others like me.  In the band, the best headphones besides mine are $40 Sony on ear headphones.  The best headphones I have seen in the school are Beats Pro's.  Other than that, I've seen wireless Sony's, my own WoodTones, Apple Earpods, fake Monster on ear DNA's.
3) The only people I haven't really checked are all of the teachers, and music theory.  Those are the most likely to have good HP's.

Maybe make a badge that you can wear/clip on your bag. "The only audiophile in school" "We are a special breed" "Alpha Delta Phi" are some ideas.

In other news, I have rediscovered my love for grado :) cheap but awesome for the price

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #3,930 of 4,655

I personally carry my TekFusion TwinWoofer around with me when I am out to keep things low and sometimes I act dumb about audio when reaching out new people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back