Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #1,711 of 4,655
He400i, he560, lcd-x, lcd-xc, Paradox (or the mysterious new Enigma) alpha dogs or maddogs?
wink.gif

Or all of the above?
tongue.gif

The standard 400 and 500 and the LCD's just for the hell of it. I -might- walk out with one of the HFM sets depending on if I'm really blow'd away or not. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,712 of 4,655
The standard 400 and 500 and the LCD's just for the hell of it. I -might- walk out with one of the HFM sets depending on if I'm really blow'd away or not. 

If ur budget minded a bit (like me) and have an already good headphone amp i have a feeling u will like the he500 a lot if ur a serious audio listener..Especially now the 560 is coming out..so the prices for good second hand he500 will fall down..and u can pick up one for a steal..no other phone will give u the sound quality the he500 gives u for the price when driven adequately..and if u also get the modulor pads and do the jerg opengrill mod..well..lets say..u will be in for a treat..especially if u can get one for around 500usd or less soon. Just saying..:wink:

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,713 of 4,655
Don't get me started on good looking PC's...I build my own and I am highly particular about their looks!

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,714 of 4,655
And how u like my selfmade total watercooled gaming pc...when i took pics the second waterloop (with cpu and gpu in it) wasnt ready yet..as its in an external rack next to the pc case...

What u think of the look? :D

Yeah i kmow time to upgrade again :D

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,715 of 4,655
If ur budget minded a bit (like me) and have an already good headphone amp i have a feeling u will like the he500 a lot if ur a serious audio listener..Especially now the 560 is coming out..so the prices for good second hand he500 will fall down..and u can pick up one for a steal..no other phone will give u the sound quality the he500 gives u for the price when driven adequately..and if u also get the modulor pads and do the jerg opengrill mod..well..lets say..u will be in for a treat..especially if u can get one for around 500usd or less soon. Just saying..
wink.gif

Lotta dudes on here are selling them around $450-500...

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,716 of 4,655
And how u like my selfmade total watercooled gaming pc...when i took pics the second waterloop (with cpu and gpu in it) wasnt ready yet..as its in an external rack next to the pc case...

What u think of the look? :D

Yeah i kmow time to upgrade again :D

Very nice!

My old rig...

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,717 of 4,655
Nice..i always love to see interpretations how people want to built their pc's i, i myself know how much work it is to get everything just right..sometimes its even downright craziness... But the result gives big satisfaction...as u can see i dont like flashy..i want black on black..and no color liquids..just colorless...i always go for efficiency above esthetics..and the cable thingie is just to get the best airwave through the case... Not for looks as many others do.. :wink:

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #1,718 of 4,655
Mar 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,719 of 4,655

Dre earns about $100mil annually from Beats. Personally.

He also pulled in $175mil when Beats partnered up with HTC.

So... yeah. 

Lol if Dre really cared about his headphones (which I doubt he does) he should put that $275mil towards some well deserved R&D. With that much, he and Jimmy Iovine would definitely be able to rival Sennheiser and most competitive brands in terms of quality and still have enough money left over to beat their prices. But of course all they're worried about is their profit margin so that'll never happen.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,720 of 4,655

Lotta dudes on here are selling them around $450-500...

But be prepared to fork out some more for an amp. Took a peek @ your profile and unless it's outdated... your Fiio E11 won't cut it for the HE-500. The very affordable Magni outta do the job if you're on a budget
biggrin.gif
many others seem to like it. But if you have deeper pockets (or just more reckless spending habits) go for the Lyr... rolling tubes will let you customize/tweak your sound flavour
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,721 of 4,655
Lol if Dre really cared about his headphones (which I doubt he does) he should put that $275mil towards some well deserved R&D. With that much, he and Jimmy Iovine would definitely be able to rival Sennheiser and most competitive brands in terms of quality and still have enough money left over to beat their prices. But of course all they're worried about is their profit margin so that'll never happen.

I know of a certain small brand who makes phones which makes even the best phones look pale in comparision soundwise..all handmade..with love and dedication..

For me thats proof..u dont need to invest hugely..u have to invest wisely..and get the right customers in the process who talk the talk and tell about the brand..voluntarely! Not paid for it... As thats the secret..the paid ones always fall through the basket..as they cant keep up showing the passion a real affectionee shows... And that passion makes others curious.. It did it with me :wink:
And i dont believe those guys, with respect, will ever buy beats or anything costing less then 100.000usd (or buy a dodge or HTC. With beats on/in it) ...all custommade for them preferable with diamonds on it..... They dont vare about beats or whatever..its just income for them..thats all...

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,722 of 4,655
But be prepared to fork out some more for an amp. Took a peek @ your profile and unless it's outdated... your Fiio E11 won't cut it for the HE-500. The very affordable Magni outta do the job if you're on a budget :D many others seem to like it. But if you have deeper pockets (or just more reckless spending habits) go for the Lyr... rolling tubes will let you customize/tweak your sound flavour :p .

Yep the lyr is the way to go on the lower levels of budget..or go solidstate speaker amping with a more weaker speaker amp like the emotiva..but be careful using speaker amps and letting them drive headphones. Check for more info on the he500 thread.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,723 of 4,655
You can find some very good tube amps for $200 or less (got my Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL MK3 for $190) and it is very powerful.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,724 of 4,655

But be prepared to fork out some more for an amp. Took a peek @ your profile and unless it's outdated... your Fiio E11 won't cut it for the HE-500. The very affordable Magni outta do the job if you're on a budget
biggrin.gif
many others seem to like it. But if you have deeper pockets (or just more reckless spending habits) go for the Lyr... rolling tubes will let you customize/tweak your sound flavour
tongue.gif

I'm actually selling the e11 with the Beyer DT770's, haha. The e11 is a nice little boost but nothing especially useful. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #1,725 of 4,655
You can find some very good tube amps for $200 or less (got my Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL MK3 for $190) and it is very powerful.

The he500 needs quality power..not just raw power..i had a simple matrix mstage and it drove the he500 just fine..but i found out when upgrading to the modded 337 i got how good it really could be...

..the he500 gets better and better when upgrading to a better amp..but this is a can of worms we cant get into here..as on the he500 thread it got really messy at some point about this..
U just have to try different amps out with the he500.. And get urself what sound suits u best..thats best way to tackle it..u domt need to go into the big bucks...but the he500 does improves if the dac and amp improves..and for gods sake..use lossless material :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back