Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,741 of 4,655
Completely offtopic but the last part of this page made me laugh bigtime...enjoy reading..virgins..lolz

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/intere.html

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,742 of 4,655
I remember my GF's mom listening to my HE-300's for the first time, after 10 minutes I asked if I could have them back, I got a huge "NO!". That said enough for me. She listened to them for over an hour, and I swear I could see tears in her eyes. She even said "Wow only €200,-? That's a steal for great sound like this! (I bought them for a small discount because they were a demo model ^.^). I didn't even use my Fiio E11 with the Hifiman, just an album from The Cure (Which is her's, she owns it for about 15 to 20 years already and said "It finally came alive".)

Now to turn some things around..
My GF was the one getting me into all this! My wallet is still blaming her for it.
She had a beats solo, yeah, it's crap, but I didn't know back then.
I had a listen, and within a matter of seconds I was hooked, I didn't want to put them off my head! They sounded so great (Atleast, that's what I thought, had another listen to them yesterday and I was horrified.). She let me borrow them for 2 months, and so my journey began..

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #1,743 of 4,655
I remember my GF's mom listening to my HE-300's for the first time, after 10 minutes I asked if I could have them back, I got a huge "NO!". That said enough for me. She listened to them for over an hour, and I swear I could see tears in her eyes. She even said "Wow only €200,-? That's a steal for great sound like this! (I bought them for a small discount because they were a demo model ^.^). I didn't even use my Fiio E11 with the Hifiman, just an album from The Cure (Which is her's, she owns it for about 15 to 20 years already and said "It finally came alive".)

Now to turn some things around..
My GF was the one getting me into all this! My wallet is still blaming her for it.
She had a beats solo, yeah, it's crap, but I didn't know back then.
I had a listen, and within a matter of seconds I was hooked, I didn't want to put them off my head! They sounded so great (Atleast, that's what I thought, had another listen to them yesterday and I was horrified.). She let me borrow them for 2 months, and so my journey began..

Am glad ur one of the saved ones..but..ru sure u wanna attend the coming benelux meeting? As u will hear even better stuff then ur wonderful he300 and so maybe wanna upgrade again..u have been warned and ur wallet too..and dont even think in selling any of ur bodyparts or ur girlfriend to get better stuff that u will be hearing then.. :D dont say i didnt told u..as i went on the upgrade wagon because of a meeting...and look where it got me :wink:

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,744 of 4,655
I brought my HE-400 to work because I left my UE 6000s at my gfs house.  Granted I had no amp, and my crappy Nexus 4 was driving it - but my coworker said "it sounds....alright... theres no bass though"

This is the same guy who later purchased a $59 Wireless headset from the Microsoft page. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,745 of 4,655
  I brought my HE-400 to work because I left my UE 6000s at my gfs house.  Granted I had no amp, and my crappy Nexus 4 was driving it - but my coworker said "it sounds....alright... theres no bass though"

This is the same guy who later purchased a $59 Wireless headset from the Microsoft page. 

That's because some people like bass, and the HE-400 lacks it. They're not wrong, you just don't like as much bass as they do. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,746 of 4,655

Maybe he said that because you were driving them with your Nexus 4 :p

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,749 of 4,655
My PC rig is a windows XP with a 2 GHz processor, and 512 Mb of ram... Darn parents not buying a computer since 2003... Lol. Its graphics card SUCKS.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,750 of 4,655
My PC rig is a windows XP with a 2 GHz processor, and 512 Mb of ram... Darn parents not buying a computer since 2003... Lol. Its graphics card SUCKS.

I know that feeling, I was stuck with a rig like that for 4 years before my dad deigned to build another rig for me.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,751 of 4,655

That's because some people like bass, and the HE-400 lacks it. They're not wrong, you just don't like as much bass as they do. 

The UE6000's are a bass heads closed can, and while the HE-400 out of the box is comparable than the UE6000 in passive mode if EQ'd they can be somewhere inbetween passive/active mode on the 6000s.  The bass is actually pretty good. But then again i have no comparison other than the UEs. I've always heard the 400s were bass monsters (for open cans) 

Maybe he said that because you were driving them with your Nexus 4 :p

Yea thats for sure it, but even then - HE400 should give much more clarity than whatever he was listening too in the office. At least i would think so. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #1,752 of 4,655

The UE6000's are a bass heads closed can, and while the HE-400 out of the box is comparable than the UE6000 in passive mode if EQ'd they can be somewhere inbetween passive/active mode on the 6000s.  The bass is actually pretty good. But then again i have no comparison other than the UEs. I've always heard the 400s were bass monsters (for open cans) 

The LCD2s had a significantly better bass response to my ears. Actually, the Grado PS500s surprised me for bass response (above ~50Hz anyway, they kinda evaporate under that). 

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,753 of 4,655
Ah well thats on a whole new level :)  i always heard that the LCD2s were bass light actually. I guess the bass is more controlled/punchier/etc? I'm curious to see what the new 560s has in store, although i fear im done with headfi for now and getting into home theatre audio

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,754 of 4,655
  Ah well thats on a whole new level :)  i always heard that the LCD2s were bass light actually. I guess the bass is more controlled/punchier/etc? I'm curious to see what the new 560s has in store, although i fear im done with headfi for now and getting into home theatre audio

On the 400s it was just like... it was THERE, and I could HEAR it, but it didn't really fill up the ear cups. The LCD2s felt like there was some actual sound pressure from the bass, although it wasn't exactly powerful. 

To me, bass heavy means in busy music the low frequencies are prominent, not just apparent. Yes, on the open headphones I could hear the bass, but to call that sound "balanced" is just weird to me. The cymbals were shimmery and right up front, but the bass tones were more like background noise. Yes, the HE-400s and LCD2s can go VERY deep. They can hit frequencies all the way down. They're just not very loud, and if they're in the midst of other music you won't really be conscious of them.

It's a weird double standard to me. A headphone like the Grado RS1i is considered top-notch and apparently worth nearly a grand and people will rave about how it's just like sitting in a "jazz club" (to quote a head-fi review). It's "proper" and "audiophile-level" to ooh and ahh over EXTREMELY prominent treble or mids, but if you like bass you can feel you're just a trend-kiddie who got caught up in the Beats sound. 

Let me tell you, by the way. I've been to a lot of rock and metal concerts, and those open headphones do NOT sound like being the audience of one. The power of the bass and the impact of the kick drum is so heavy you can feel it in your CHEST. The more "consumer grade" headphones are more accurate from that end. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,755 of 4,655
On the 400s it was just like... it was THERE, and I could HEAR it, but it didn't really fill up the ear cups. The LCD2s felt like there was some actual sound pressure from the bass, although it wasn't exactly powerful. 

To me, bass heavy means in busy music the low frequencies are prominent, not just apparent. Yes, on the open headphones I could hear the bass, but to call that sound "balanced" is just weird to me. The cymbals were shimmery and right up front, but the bass tones were more like background noise. Yes, the HE-400s and LCD2s can go VERY deep. They can hit frequencies all the way down. They're just not very loud, and if they're in the midst of other music you won't really be conscious of them.

It's a weird double standard to me. A headphone like the Grado RS1i is considered top-notch and apparently worth nearly a grand and people will rave about how it's just like sitting in a "jazz club" (to quote a head-fi review). It's "proper" and "audiophile-level" to ooh and ahh over EXTREMELY prominent treble or mids, but if you like bass you can feel you're just a trend-kiddie who got caught up in the Beats sound. 

Let me tell you, by the way. I've been to a lot of rock and metal concerts, and those open headphones do NOT sound like being the audience of one. The power of the bass and the impact of the kick drum is so heavy you can feel it in your CHEST. The more "consumer grade" headphones are more accurate from that end. 

Sorry to say it..BUT U CAN NEVER EVER COMPARE ANY HEADPHONE WITH SPEAKERS... Music coming from huge speakers (in live concerts) are partly so 'good' because of the extreme high and sometimes absurd volume u hear it..and therefor the bass hits u in every part of ur body..the phones who can do that .. Or u think that they can , are tuned to only play those extreme frequencies..nothing more..u dont hear any quality in between...ever listened to those as u call it consumer grade headphones? It lacks almost everything except for HUGE bass and ear piercing treble...as thats comes closest to concerts..its loud and screamy...but beautiful? If u want to feel the bass..get urself a good speaker set...and u will see u will forget ur bass heavy phones in a second..or dig REAALY deep in ur wallet and get a really good headphone and invest in a REALLY good amp to go with it..i am now experiencing basses in my music i never thought a phone was capable..i FEEL it in my ears..buy hey..my rig doesnt cost 400bucks...it would be much cheaper to get a speaker rig to get the same amount of bass.. But still..a speaker rig (or live concerts) is totally different then a headphone rig..NO headphone can give u that..no matter how expensive!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back