Nik's R10 amp: First Pictures
Jun 25, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #65 of 103
280smile.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #66 of 103
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
that's the most expensive amp i've ever heard of... waht does it weigh?

Hi Merton,

yes, the Angstrom Research two box will be the most expensive amp ever made, because each part is selected for the best performance in all parameters, particulary attention for the output transformers. The power supply is the biggest box: 35-40Kg! 20 tubes power consumption 800W! The second unit is "only" 15-20KG and has just the signal pat tubes the Sovtek 6C45, the Penny & Giles potentiometer and others components.
Yesterday the designer told me that he has found a very rare oil capacitors by Western Electric that have an incredible performance. I'm waiting for the amp next week and I'll write a complete rew for this piece of art. I'm also put a complete pictures documentation.

Best!
Nicola

Jun 25, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #68 of 103
hei nik,
the yba cd3 is better of linn sondec cd12 Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
Hi Merton,

yes, the Angstrom Research two box will be the most expensive amp ever made, because each part is selected for the best performance in all parameters, particulary attention for the output transformers. The power supply is the biggest box: 35-40Kg! 20 tubes power consumption 800W! The second unit is "only" 15-20KG and has just the signal pat tubes the Sovtek 6C45, the Penny & Giles potentiometer and others components.
Yesterday the designer told me that he has found a very rare oil capacitors by Western Electric that have an incredible performance. I'm waiting for the amp next week and I'll write a complete rew for this piece of art. I'm also put a complete pictures documentation.

Best!
Nicola

Jun 25, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #69 of 103
Hey man,

are you a new member in our chat: welcome!

In this section we are speaking about headphone amplifiers and not sources... about the Linn Sondek CD 12 it's difficult to find a person in the earth that do not think this the best CD Player ever made, but if you prefer your YBA CD 3... so you do not accept to change your YBA with my Sondek?

Best!
Nicola

Jun 25, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #70 of 103
i know how to make it even more expensive.... heh.. use resistance welds like those in the audioquest coral... and all perfect surface silver wiring... with all wires completely insulated.. and nik... do you have the rs-1 and the ms pro? i would like to hear your very experienced thoughts on them... and what do you like to use as an amp for them? (this is if you have them of course).
oh.. and search for herbies grungebuster cd mat on audiogon... he is supposed to sell excellent tube dampeners.

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #71 of 103
Quote:

i know how to make it even more expensive.... heh.. use resistance welds like those in the audioquest coral... and all perfect surface silver wiring... with all wires completely insulated.. and nik... do you have the rs-1 and the ms pro? i would like to hear your very experienced thoughts on them... and what do you like to use as an amp for them? (this is if you have them of course).
oh.. and search for herbies grungebuster cd mat on audiogon... he is supposed to sell excellent tube dampeners.

Hi Merton,

at this moment I do not know exactely wich kind of resistance and cable used, but each particulars are the best for the project and each components is tested with instrument and to the sound, even the headphone socket and rca connectors are selected for the better "performace", less resistance or impedence. This object is projected to be the absolute best.
At the moment I have only a R10, but I'm thinking to buy even a new headphone... RS1 (???). I know that the components are very expensive, but I'm not reserching just for the most expensive... only the better performance, but generally the most expensive components goes better (!!!). Not always, for ex. the Sovtek 6C45 goes better than the WE437A that costs ten times more... Not the same for the potentiometer, the Penny & Giles used (a very rare version special built for Mark Levinson) goes better any other pot or stepped, but costs around 1200$.
I'll post very soon some pictures of the amp. in the last phase of construction.

Best!
Nicola

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #72 of 103
with your kinda money i would like you to buy a rs-1, mspro (go to alessandro-products.com ... and it may included free shipping even for foreigners) and just go ahead and get a stax for even more variety. it would be interesting to see what kinda amp yo come up with for grado's... as for now the ra-1 seems to be the best amp for the rs-1's.. but the parts price is only about $60.. minus the mahogony case and such of course. weird, eh.

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

with your kinda money i would like you to buy a rs-1, mspro (go to alessandro-products.com ... and it may included free shipping even for foreigners) and just go ahead and get a stax for even more variety. it would be interesting to see what kinda amp yo come up with for grado's... as for now the ra-1 seems to be the best amp for the rs-1's.. but the parts price is only about $60.. minus the mahogony case and such of course. weird, eh.

Merton,

I remember to you that I had the RS1 and his little wooden amp, the cans I like a lot, but do not tell me about that ridicolous object... I prefer for Grados the old amp Grado or the Headroom or Sugden or even more the EAR HP4.

Regards!
Nicola

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #74 of 103
old grado amp? i've not heard of this... give me all the info you got.. or tell me where to get it... i thought the ra-1 was the only amp grado ever made...??? or were you just refering to the old style grado phones?

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #75 of 103
Merton,

the old grado amp was very well built battery (and DC) amp. Inside you can see 4 big custom capacitors, noble pot and. I sold it last week to a heafier friend. You cannot find a new unit today, but onlya used one. The sound of that amp was very analigical and good for grado cans.

I attached a photo but I do not know if the dimension of the pic is accepted, if not write to me your e-mail addres and I'll send you the photo.

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back