New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo impressions and review thread
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #61 of 376
To everyone: Vorzuge contacted me to tell me that they will lower the gain for free if you want it lowered. 

Hello biome,

The um3X are very sensitive earphones, but not as bad as the UM2 or the SE530 are. Still, depending on how loud you listen to music, they will probably be close to the comfort line. I know a lot of people here in Japan who have no problem with sensitive earphones and the Vorzuge, but those who do, do.
Quote:
shigzeo,

will the vorzamp be too powerful for the um3x? I don't want to get an amp which i'll have to be constantly in fear of moving the volume knob... If its too powerful for the um3x, will it power the HD650s comfortably?

bigme

As for burn in, just listen and enjoy. Don't worry, the more you enjoy, the more things will settle. 
Quote:
Jumping in this thread. My Vorzamp Pure arrived last monday. Didn't have much time to listen to it. Just wanted to ask you guys how many hours of burn-in the amp needs until it is settled? 100-200?

I am glad you enjoyed the review. I worked very hard on it. I believe the Vorzuge is one of the most interesting and incredible amps on the market now primarily because of its size, low Ω output, rich mid section, and with the DUO, the EQ. It is also made very very well. 

The UE Superfi EB is very very sensitive, one of the most sensitive earphones in the world in fact. The Vorzuge's current version is low enough that you will probably be fine, but if not, you can of course get Vorzuge to adjust your gain. They do this for free.

Quote:
shigzeo after reading your reviews has really made me very interested in the VorzAMPduo...

for myself currently i'm using my ipod classic 5.5G->voyager->UE Superfi EB(reshelled).
i'm a bass lover myself as i leave the contour switch on all the time.
from your experience do you think the VorzAMPduo will be too loud for my IEM?

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #62 of 376
Quote:
To everyone: Vorzuge contacted me to tell me that they will lower the gain for free if you want it lowered. 

Hello biome,

The um3X are very sensitive earphones, but not as bad as the UM2 or the SE530 are. Still, depending on how loud you listen to music, they will probably be close to the comfort line. I know a lot of people here in Japan who have no problem with sensitive earphones and the Vorzuge, but those who do, do.

As for burn in, just listen and enjoy. Don't worry, the more you enjoy, the more things will settle. 
I am glad you enjoyed the review. I worked very hard on it. I believe the Vorzuge is one of the most interesting and incredible amps on the market now primarily because of its size, low Ω output, rich mid section, and with the DUO, the EQ. It is also made very very well. 

The UE Superfi EB is very very sensitive, one of the most sensitive earphones in the world in fact. The Vorzuge's current version is low enough that you will probably be fine, but if not, you can of course get Vorzuge to adjust your gain. They do this for free.

Thanks Shigzeo...

i thought i'm gonna be disappointed... this is the only review(done by you) that has compared the "Contour" of the voyager to other amps...
and the Vorzuge has outperform the Voyager... More amps should be built this way giving people choices... by any chance they gonna have a DAC built in? better still a dedicated DAC for my laptop... it would be nice to have a quality DAC built by Vorzuge based on the same SS as the Pure...

One more thing how is the VorzKabel compared to other LO cables you have used?
Sorry to ask so much questions... i'm just too into this amp...

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #63 of 376
Another VorzAMPduo review, at Headphonia: http://www.headfonia.com/the-german-shapeshifter-vorzampduo/

popcorn.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #64 of 376
Hi,

don't know if anyone mentioned the corner frequencies of the EQing.

low 160Hz +12dB
high 9KHz +5 dB

Not sure about the Q factor, but it's a pretty heavy 'correction' / kind of loudness switching.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #65 of 376
Quote:
Hi,

don't know if anyone mentioned the corner frequencies of the EQing.

low 160Hz +12dB
high 9KHz +5 dB

Not sure about the Q factor, but it's a pretty heavy 'correction' / kind of loudness switching.

Yes, I agree! The bass setting seems to be too much... In that Headfonia review I posted above, the reviewer also says that the bass EQ is too much, and pretty much unsuable except with very bass light IEMs/headphones. He even recommends the purchase of the Pure version of the amp (without the EQ), as it's cheaper and has more battery life...

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #66 of 376
 I recieved the vorzuge duo yesterday and have to make myself set it down it sounds great ! The bass is deep and fast and although I've listened to AJA many times over the years there are sounds I've never heard before the detail is unbelievable . The ALO V2 sound signature has similar traits but does not have the power. Vorzuge has adequate power for the Senn 650's I do not find the gain to be a problem on iem's such as westone 3's or Future Sonic Atrio's I have also used it with Edition 8's they all sound great  ! The EQ is pefect to my ears and the amp is buildt like a brick !

I am comparing this amp to what I own : RSA Mustang-Meir Stepdance-ALO Contenintal-Decware Zenhead I enjoy all of these BUT I could have saved a lot of money buy purchasing the Vorzuge because it should be all I will ever need !

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #67 of 376
Quote:
The VorzAMPs do much better with low Ω IEM earphones though, driving nearly perfect signal down to about 4Ω. 

In your review you mention that these amps are great for anything but the most sensitive IEMs... So which is it? 

Looking for something for my FI-BA-SS... Ultra sensitive 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #68 of 376
Quote:

In your review you mention that these amps are great for anything but the most sensitive IEMs... So which is it? 

rolleyes.gif

I think you should differ between low impedance and high sensitivity.

E.g. UM Merlin 12 Ohms. About 105 dB/mW ("medium" sensitivity for an IEM). Fantastic with the VorzAMP.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #71 of 376
Quote:
Does anybody had the opportunity to compare the Pure to the Glacier?

It just so happens that I have both. The Pure is definitely a tad bit clearer/more transparent than the Apex, and the speed is definitely faster. I would say the Apex is more balanced while the Pure's mids are a bit more forward. The Pure has more bass quantity and (I think) the quality is better, but the high/low end extension is not as great as the Apex. To me, the element that the Pure stands out from the Apex is the analog sound - both the vocal and the instrument sounds are rendered really well - just like how it should sound in reality. (Okay this is a personal taste - I know many people like some color).

Well, personally I love the Pure because I listen to fast, rhythmic J-pop music mainly. The Apex would be great for listening to slower songs for me, because if I would pick something negative about the Pure, it is the speed. Great on rhythmic songs, yes, but sounds unnatural with slow songs - feels like the singer wants to sing fast but unable to do so. Oh, and the light, too. It is easily a torch. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #72 of 376
Quote:
It just so happens that I have both. The Pure is definitely a tad bit clearer/more transparent than the Apex, and the speed is definitely faster. I would say the Apex is more balanced while the Pure's mids are a bit more forward. The Pure has more bass quantity and (I think) the quality is better, but the high/low end extension is not as great as the Apex. To me, the element that the Pure stands out from the Apex is the analog sound - both the vocal and the instrument sounds are rendered really well - just like how it should sound in reality. (Okay this is a personal taste - I know many people like some color).

Well, personally I love the Pure because I listen to fast, rhythmic J-pop music mainly. The Apex would be great for listening to slower songs for me, because if I would pick something negative about the Pure, it is the speed. Great on rhythmic songs, yes, but sounds unnatural with slow songs - feels like the singer wants to sing fast but unable to do so. Oh, and the light, too. It is easily a torch. 

I thought the Glacier is already a fast ss amp like the TTVJ slim I used to own.

Anyway, despite the Vorz sounds like a promising amp, I think I won't get any portable amps anymore.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #73 of 376
Hi! Could someone compare the Portatube with the Vorzamp? I currently own the former but have been seriously considering changing to a modded, lowered gain, Vorzamp duo.

I have demo-ed the Vorzamp previously when I was in Hong Kong a couple of months back and was thoroughly impressed by it but my memory is a little fuzzy about the SQ at the moment. I remember the Vorzamp being more detailed, and for want of a better word, "refined" overall. The Portatube is warmer, more bassy with a better extension. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.  

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #74 of 376
Quote:
Hi! Could someone compare the Portatube with the Vorzamp? I currently own the former but have been seriously considering changing to a modded, lowered gain, Vorzamp duo.

I have demo-ed the Vorzamp previously when I was in Hong Kong a couple of months back and was thoroughly impressed by it but my memory is a little fuzzy about the SQ at the moment. I remember the Vorzamp being more detailed, and for want of a better word, "refined" overall. The Portatube is warmer, more bassy with a better extension. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.  

The Portatube and vorz are two very different amps. Sound-wise, they can be compared. Both drive headphones and earphones nigh on perfectly with few to no artefacts. The Vorz sound is decidedly less shiny (a bad phrase for the sort of smooth/clean distortion you can sometimes get with valves). The Portatube has a lush high end that smacks a good one at every portable amp I've come across. It's a personal thing, though. 

But, either amp perform very well. Technically, at optimal volume settings (matched to safe listening levels with same headphones on the out), the Vorz will technically outperform the Portatube. But, if you are a valve fan, that won't matter. I'm typically not a valve fan, however, the Portatube isn't a typical valve amp. It's not 'tubey', dark, or veiled. It's merely more intimate than a typical solid state amp, with the plus of a shiny high end.

But it's more than double the volume of the Vorz, runs hot, gets 8-10 hours of battery life. 

I wouldn't consider one or the other if you value compactness. The Vorz is the only choice there. Absolute power, the Portatube will win of course. 

If Vorzuge can fix the gain, either by incorporating the gain into the volume pot and lowering the aggression so that it can freely be rotated up to 50% for earphones and 100% for headphones, I'd not think twice. The Vorz is killer. 
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

The VorzAMPs have excellent control of artefacts and resolution with low Ω earphones, but the gain is too high. However, VS the Continental V2 for use with low Ω earphones, there is no comparison: the VORZ has it beat in almost every regard: better resolution, fewer artefacts, lower noise, overall tighter grip. But, the Vorz lacks a gain control, which it desperately needs. Its internal gain is too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back