New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo impressions and review thread
Apr 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 376

shigzeo

The Hiss King
Okay full review is up at TouchMyApps.
I must add just a few things but the text is as, though some additions re: measurements to be added.

I started impressions at the TouchMyApps forum. I'll have a full review later in the next few weeks. I think this product deserves the ink space and will find many fans as it breaks the mould. How is this? Well, it's an expensive product, selling from 400-700$ depending on where you are and what unit you choose. But rather than going the very tried road of all-out benchmark performance, VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo obviously plow their own sonic signature, and it's no an accident. It is wonderful.

Some background
Vorzüge are a new company out of Germany. The VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo are their first products. They are (I assume) new to most people here at Headfi. e-earphones, Fuji-AVIC, Musica Acoustics, and who know else has them for sale and testing.

In Japan at least, the Vorzüge is quite popular despite being expensive. It is tiny, compact, and delightful. I need to go back to spend more time with a sample. If you go to any of the above stores you can try one out. I assume people here will also be getting them soon as they are excellent. As an amp-only unit, I've not been this excited for a long time. There are very low levels of noise, maker-tailored low and high frequency rolloffs, and from my other listening observations, a slight amount of harmonic distortion in the signal.

Whatever the tech spec says, it has a sound all its own, erring towards a wide, taught mid range, and secondarily, extended, but extremely smooth highs. 

I've got not much more to say other than the DUO version has EQ switches for bass and treble, and has major impact. I find the treble switch introduces a bit of background noise, and probably sits at around 5-6 dB increase, while the bass switch plows through your head, possibly serving up ~10 decibels of jaw-shivering bass. It is a more intense version of the Graham Slee Voyager. Well, as far as the contour is formed. As far as coherence from bass to treble, the Vorz amps are smoother, easier to listen to. 

A size comparo with ALO The National and GoVibe Porta Tube+

NOTE: Vorzuge contacted me to say that if anyone wants their gain lowered, Vorzuge will do it for free. So, go ahead and buy with confidence. 

More impressions welcome here!

Remember, full review is up at TouchMyApps.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 376
I will be testing a new version of the VorzAMP in the next few days. The current one is a pocketable favourite of mine, but has an overly aggressive gain in the volume pot. Vorzüge will be addressing this especially for IEM users and I will report back. For now, the VorzAMP in both Duo and Pure flavours is a fabulous amp. 

My review is pending the new unit. I am confident that Vorzüge will keep the high standards they started with the VorzAMPs. They are of the highest workmanship I've yet seen with attention to detail that far outstrips any other manufacturer I've seen. Fortunately, sound-wise, they are very nice as well.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 376
I've been using the VorzAMPduo with my Compact Monitors Stage 4 and Beyerdynamic T50P over the weekend, with very favourable results. Even without much run-in, and without the DuoEQ function, the VorzAMP itself is up there with the very best of portable amps. More to come after more quality time with it.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 376
Very welcome indeed. The EQduo system is incredible to say the least, probably the most mature implementation I've spend gobs of time with. The only other amp I feel has as satisfying an EQ contour is the the Graham Slee Voyager as I mentioned above. The VorzAMPs do much better with low Ω IEM earphones though, driving nearly perfect signal down to about 4Ω. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 376
i bought that up earlier because i heard it last week from Jaben Hong Kong.  the good - i like the sound.  very dynamic, very rich sounding amp.  the bass and treble switches actually sound very decent/without much distortion after switching them on.  the not so good - even is very small and compact, it is very heavy.  i think it's heavier than the original sr71, with batteries.  the gain, too loud for iem.  i had my jh16 with me but the lowest volume is already too loud.  lucky i had my signature pro with me that day.  still a bit too much gain for low impedance headphones.  and also the price, the clerk there told me is around 4k hong kong dollars and that's over 500 US so it's definitely not cheap. 

i think i need to have a second visit though

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 376
The VorzAMP has gone through a couple revisions. The newer ones have lower gain in the volume pot, and even with ToGo 334, I am able to get balance and low enough volume to enjoy music, but the early models had too high gain. There is very low noise coming from the Vorz, which is one reason I really recommend it for IEM users, but on the other hand, those IEMs until recently, had to be not too sensitive. 

The sound is rich, slightly dark, but when treble/bass switches turned on, dynamics go up, and sound changes quite a bit. I actually prefer the PURE (no EQ) because it is easier to attach to an iPod nano. Review up by Friday next. Very good portable amp, especially with newest gain revisions. Expensive, but the build quality and attention to detail are unrivalled by anyone (anyone at all) in the field. In the amp world, they are Suyama (FitEar), and thus have no competition at all.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 376
The VorzAMP has gone through a couple revisions. The newer ones have lower gain in the volume pot, and even with ToGo 334, I am able to get balance and low enough volume to enjoy music, but the early models had too high gain. There is very low noise coming from the Vorz, which is one reason I really recommend it for IEM users, but on the other hand, those IEMs until recently, had to be not too sensitive. 

The sound is rich, slightly dark, but when treble/bass switches turned on, dynamics go up, and sound changes quite a bit. I actually prefer the PURE (no EQ) because it is easier to attach to an iPod nano. Review up by Friday next. Very good portable amp, especially with newest gain revisions. Expensive, but the build quality and attention to detail are unrivalled by anyone (anyone at all) in the field. In the amp world, they are Suyama (FitEar), and thus have no competition at all.

Hi shigzeo

You said the vorzamp is dark sounding, how dark is compare to RS 71 B and Alo RX 3 B?

Which ones from these 3 amps has the best Sound Quality interm the best impact in Bass region Mid and treble and detail ?

Please advise

Thank you

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 376
Hi shigzeo
You said the vorzamp is dark sounding, how dark is compare to RS 71 B and Alo RX 3 B?
Which ones from these 3 amps has the best Sound Quality interm the best impact in Bass region Mid and treble and detail ?
Please advise
Thank you

Oh dear, I don't want to make it sound like the vorzüge is dark. It has the slightest of high end roll off, and a slight low end roll off. Mids are more prominent, but the difference is nothing to essay about.

Mids have the best channel separation, appearing brighter and in some ways a bit more detailed than bass or treble. It isn't dark. It is slightly dark. I wouldn't dare say to a grasp or AKG owner that it will tame the highs I their phones or some such rubbish. I'd merely say there are amps that sound a bit more sparkly up top. A bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back