New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo impressions and review thread
Jul 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #46 of 376
My friend, believe it or not, that was one of my most scathing criticisms of the VorzAMP. Imagine that - a lamp being too bright. It is, but gladly I'll accept that over a poor amp implementation or too much hiss! The VorzAMP scales well with high end equipment, so don't worry at all about an iPhone/LOD. That setup is already far better than some equipment you can purchase. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #47 of 376
OK, I've had some time with the Pure now.  It did need some burn-in time  but I think it's pretty much done now; I've probably got something more than 100 hours on it.

What's been said here already is all correct.  This is a remarkable little amp.  To add to what Shigzeo and Stonemany have said, this thing is FAST - attack and decay are extremely sharp and clean - and the separation is amazing.  Instrument placement and, for example, background vocals are superb.  I've got good gear, both portable and at home, but I'm hearing details I hadn't heard before.  I never thought I'd say that again, but there it is.

For Zorin: I've compared it to my Just Audio AHA-120, Touch 4G > qusp piccolino LOD > the two amps > MG6PRO.  I've had the AHA-120 for a year and love it to death.  It's really, really good: the Touch with the AHA-120 via LOD beats my CLAS/TTVJ Slim, and when I was on the road for two months last year I lugged the AHA-120 with my CLAS all over the country.  That rig is good enough that I retired by Burson HA 160D bedside setup: it wasn't enough better to bother with any more.  The Vorzuge is better than the AHA-120: cleaner, better detail, better soundstage.  It's not huge but it's clear.  I've got to say I'm amazed, but it's true.  (And if the AHA-120 is on the 32 ohm setting, rated battery life is about the same.)

For something really unfair, I compared the AHA -120 throught the CLAS with the Pure via LOD with some really well-recorded albums, such as Charles Lloyd's Mirror.  The big setup is better, but by such a small margin that I had to go back and forth repeatedly to  be sure.  I very nearly couldn't tell, and that was while sitting for an extended period paying very close attention.  There's hardly anything in it.  If I hadn't been obsessing about it I wouldn't have noticed.

This thing is a game-changer, I think.  It sounds wondeful and gives you a top-notch setup in a very small package.  I really think that for most people most of the time it's all you need.

Lesser matters: It's beautifully built, very solid and with great feel in the controls.  The form factor isn't ideal for Touch- and Classic-size iPods; the Pure is a little wider and about an inch shorter, which is a bit of a pain.  And, yes, the LED is really bright.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #49 of 376
It burns! It burns!

@ barbes - have you noticed the volume pot is inconsistent?  i.e. as you turn it up from Zero, one side kicks in sooner and louder than the other? Then it balances out as it gets louder.

It's not normally a problem - but if I use it at night and I want it very quiet, the balance shifts to the right a bit

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #51 of 376
Yes, it is an issue that all amps face. The VorzAMP's gain stage is strong, possibly too strong for some earphones, but it is still on the good side. I'd love if they had a gain switch which allows for more leeway for sensitive earphones, but they've handled it well in their latest batch. Here in Japan, the VorzAMP is called "The Genius". I get it.
Quote:
It burns! It burns!

@ barbes - have you noticed the volume pot is inconsistent?  i.e. as you turn it up from Zero, one side kicks in sooner and louder than the other? Then it balances out as it gets louder.

It's not normally a problem - but if I use it at night and I want it very quiet, the balance shifts to the right a bit

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #52 of 376
Months have passed... Anyone else bought the Pure or the Duo and can give some comparision with ALO Rx II and similar hi-end portables?

Best wishes,
-V

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #53 of 376
I'm working on that now. You know, the RxIII and VorzAMPs are quite different beasts. One, the RXIII is made for absolute utility with single ended and balanced phones and works as a portable amp, but in many ways, is more comfortable on a desk (because in/out on opposite sides and size) and the VorzAMP is really a pocket-friendly amp. The RxIII has analogue metering of bass controls, the VorzAMP has a digital (on/off) control fro treble and bass. 

If you are looking for portable and pocketable, the VorzAMP is your only choice. If you're looking for powerful and transportable, the RxIII is the choice. It depends on you, really, not so much the product. I think the potential customer is quite different between the two.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #54 of 376
I was leaning further towards the Vorzampduo as there're an awful lot of comments over in the RxIII thread about hiss (not to mention I live in Europe and won't pay customs for items from Germany).  I'll be using it with some Heir Audio 8.As I'm about to break the bank for.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #55 of 376
I would have thought (I've haven't heard them) that the 8.As would have plenty of range; so having the boost option of the 'duo is a bit overkill?  Having said that, I'm a bit flat-earth when it comes to equipment and music - I like to hear what the artist/producer wanted to achieve and not mess around with it!  

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #57 of 376
shigzeo,

will the vorzamp be too powerful for the um3x? I don't want to get an amp which i'll have to be constantly in fear of moving the volume knob... If its too powerful for the um3x, will it power the HD650s comfortably?

bigme

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #58 of 376
Jumping in this thread. My Vorzamp Pure arrived last monday. Didn't have much time to listen to it. Just wanted to ask you guys how many hours of burn-in the amp needs until it is settled? 100-200?

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #59 of 376
Jumping in this thread. My Vorzamp Pure arrived last monday. Didn't have much time to listen to it. Just wanted to ask you guys how many hours of burn-in the amp needs until it is settled? 100-200?

My recollection is that mine had pretty much settled down after 50.

Let us know what you think of it.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #60 of 376
shigzeo after reading your reviews has really made me very interested in the VorzAMPduo...

for myself currently i'm using my ipod classic 5.5G->voyager->UE Superfi EB(reshelled).
i'm a bass lover myself as i leave the contour switch on all the time.
from your experience do you think the VorzAMPduo will be too loud for my IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back