New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #1,006 of 3,599
Not including 3,5mm adapter is a clear message. ;D Even though I'm interested in trying these with an iPod, I really don't need to.

EDIT: By the way, it's still a mystery how can one use Audio-Technica's with a PC. I need to reduce the volume to 50% before the DAC. I use my PC's optical out. Sounds all good, but still annoys me.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,007 of 3,599
Avoid the solid ones like the plague.  They'll break jacks on amps/DAPs.  The floppy ones like the Grado put much less stress on the jacks.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,008 of 3,599

Quote:
Avoid the solid ones like the plague.  They'll break jacks on amps/DAPs.  The floppy ones like the Grado put much less stress on the jacks.

You got a point there I believe.
There are the shorter solid ones or the cabled ones like the grado then.

af057189070b2cce5d99b942344ebf73.png

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #1,009 of 3,599

Quote:
Not including 3,5mm adapter is a clear message. ;D

The HA5000ANV to W3000ANV availability ratio is a joke, though. Plus the pricing.
I suppose that's primarily due to the insistence of the wood material used, even though it seems to be just for the front panel...
---

Wonder if they'll pull a fast one on us by tossing out a HA3000ANV somewhere close to the actual date of their 50th Anniversary?

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! Just... any physics or such that explains why?
I mean, when I first read this, I went "How come?" for a good while, and I still don't have a guess; what's the difference between the 2 types?

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,010 of 3,599
Quote:

Thanks for the advice! Just... any physics or such that explains why?
I mean, when I first read this, I went "How come?" for a good while, and I still don't have a guess; what's the difference between the 2 types?

The rigid body of the solid plugs acts a a lever which multiplies the force on the 1/8" jack and plug.  I will probably be fine just sitting there but when you accidentally jerk or pull on it a little bit the jack could break or the 1/8" plug might break off the adapter and get stuck in jack.

The floppy (aka "pigtail") adapters don't stick out as far from the 1/8" jack and will put less stress on it even if they happen to weigh a little more.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #1,011 of 3,599

The HA5000ANV to W3000ANV availability ratio is a joke, though. Plus the pricing.
I suppose that's primarily due to the insistence of the wood material used, even though it seems to be just for the front panel...
---

Wonder if they'll pull a fast one on us by tossing out a HA3000ANV somewhere close to the actual date of their 50th Anniversary?

If you thought that I meant that the ATH-W3000ANV is to be used with the dedicated amp, that was not my point. I meant higher-end gear in general, not portable devices.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #1,012 of 3,599
My pair arrived from PriceJapan (EMS delivery to New Hampshire in 72h, impressive!) - I'm very happy so far... the fit is better than I expected but I'm tempted  to compress the headband a little bit to match the tension of my w1000x - to those who have tried this, is there a risk of kinking from this?  If so I need to attack the problem from the other direction (i.e infllating my head).

Drew

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #1,013 of 3,599
There's many risks. xD I wouldn't call kinking a huge risk though, just be careful and cautious all the time. Also don't apple too much pressure near the end of the arches, to not break them off the frame. I've bent both ATH-W1000X and ATH-W3000ANV with success. It's a PITA but I would not have been able to wear them otherwise.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #1,014 of 3,599
EMS in 72 hours? Mine have been in  **&%$#@$# customs for more than a week now! Impressive as well!

As for the modding, I'd take the second option.
Some plastic surgery by implanting silicones in your head will likely solve the problem and be far less risky and intrusive than bending the W3000's headband.
Now we're talking headmods, I was thinking about having my ears enlarged so they fit the HD800's cups perfectly. Anybody have any experience with that?

Quote:
My pair arrived from PriceJapan (EMS delivery to New Hampshire in 72h, impressive!) - I'm very happy so far... the fit is better than I expected but I'm tempted  to compress the headband a little bit to match the tension of my w1000x - to those who have tried this, is there a risk of kinking from this?  If so I need to attack the problem from the other direction (i.e infllating my head).

Drew

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #1,016 of 3,599
Yep, agree with that. My RCA-XLR plugs from Drew at Moon Audio have finally been cleared by customs after three weeks. I expect them next week.
I had Craig at Kuboten change the shipment method for the HA5000ANV to FedEx. My Churi is coming with FedEx and will be delivered on Monday as far as I see.
I hope Craig ships the amp soon now, mailed him again yesterday.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #1,018 of 3,599
Craig is in the USA visiting family at the moment, so if he hasn't shipped your amp yet, you'll probably going to have to wait until the new year.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #1,019 of 3,599
Good point MuppetFace! Merry Christmas indeed! Mine was awesome, I can tell that. Good presents! ;D

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #1,020 of 3,599
Thanks for letting me know Currawong! Silly he didn't just tell me, I'm a patient guy anyway. Was just getting a bit worried.

Quote:
Craig is in the USA visiting family at the moment, so if he hasn't shipped your amp yet, you'll probably going to have to wait until the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back