New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #706 of 760
When I had my Denafrips DAC models, I thought they all sounded best through I2S, so that is what I used.

The cable choice matters. I had both a Tubulus and a Revelation Audio Labs I2S.

Polar opposite sound signatures, and the differences rather noticeable.

Would you mind sharing the sound signatures of both cables. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #708 of 760
It’s a trade off and will depend on DAC one has
384Khz signal from a DDC which provides superior galvanic isolation from computer and reclocks the signal with a good quality clock via I2S connection in which clock info is separate from audio.
Or higher sample rate from USB of a noisy laptop and relying on USB implementation of the DAC

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #709 of 760
BlakeT said:
..Polar opposite sound signatures, and the differences rather noticeable.

Would you mind sharing the sound signatures of both cables. Thanks.
... yes, please!

In the meantime, my observations with 3 different cables from crap to silver DDC-i2s->DAC was:
Crap-cable (5$ screen HDMI cable) - sounds broken. Muddled, simply broken -- funny: no crackles or so, just "under water".

$$$ AQ hdmi cable: not bad, already better compared to Streamer-USB->DAC.

$$ i2s specialized silver cable: sounds much better than the $$$ AQ cable.

I wouldn't say the $$ has a different tonal balance or whatever compared to the $$$ AQ cable; it is simply better in every aspect. More clarity, more definition, less fog, nothing worse.

So with "digital" cables I'd propose that in theory there might be the perfect digital interconnect - the one that makes the DAC play with 0 jitter and noise. Can't get better than that.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #710 of 760
... yes, please!

In the meantime, my observations with 3 different cables from crap to silver DDC-i2s->DAC was:
Crap-cable (5$ screen HDMI cable) - sounds broken. Muddled, simply broken -- funny: no crackles or so, just "under water".

$$$ AQ hdmi cable: not bad, already better compared to Streamer-USB->DAC.

$$ i2s specialized silver cable: sounds much better than the $$$ AQ cable.

I wouldn't say the $$ has a different tonal balance or whatever compared to the $$$ AQ cable; it is simply better in every aspect. More clarity, more definition, less fog, nothing worse.

So with "digital" cables I'd propose that in theory there might be the perfect digital interconnect - the one that makes the DAC play with 0 jitter and noise. Can't get better than that.
My findings are as follows. Iris via I2S to Pontus
6 dollar Monoprice was overall punchy in the lowend.
Pangea mixture of silver plated copper was to thin sounding and a little to bright for me.
Tubulos Concentus all silver cable great imaging but just sucked the life out of dynamics.

Settled on Wireworld Silver Sphere 48. Well balanced top to bottom

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #711 of 760
Revelation Audio Labs: Emphasis on details, air, more ethereal.

Tubulus Argentus: More emphasis on body, tonality, impact, more dense/solid.

If you've experimented with SFP modules, the Tubulus sonic profile is more like a Cisco SFP-10G-AOC, whereas the RAL is more like a Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL. :relaxed:

Also, if you are using the clock cables on the Denafrips DDC, those also matter.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #713 of 760
Yep. So now I’m thinking a DDC isn’t in the cards as I am really enjoying HQPlayer.
I used Roon to HQPLAYER to Gaia then to T+ by USB.
Changed to Audirvana to Gaia no upsampling and then by i2s to T+ and used T+ upsampling.
Sounds better to my ears.
Two reasons:
1. Audirvana sounds better than Roon.
2. T+ handles i2s better than USB.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #714 of 760
Yes. I2s is limited to 384kh. It is a limitation of i2s not Denafrips I believe.
Are you sure? Holo Red seems to offer higher data rates over I2S?

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #715 of 760
It’s a trade off and will depend on DAC one has
384Khz signal from a DDC which provides superior galvanic isolation from computer and reclocks the signal with a good quality clock via I2S connection in which clock info is separate from audio.
Or higher sample rate from USB of a noisy laptop and relying on USB implementation of the DAC
A former one in most cases. Extensive sample rate increase switching noise, it is rather a personal preference for a smoothed sound (when used with noise shaping player), the same individuals tend to chose Delta-Sigma DAC instead.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #716 of 760
Are you sure? Holo Red seems to offer higher data rates over I2S?
It is not limitation of output drivers, rather a wise choice made by developers to not support higher sampling rates. The same decision take user after testing 1.5m I2s cable against 50cm cable.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #717 of 760
Holy moly.
Playing with AC power cables at the moment -- I switched from IsoTek Corvus distributor + IsoTek Premier AC cables to Supra LoRad cables+ distributor for my digital front end. What a difference: The sound is even more dense, 3D, but at the same time more toe-tapping. Amazing.
On the other hand, these Supra LoRad cables for my integrated amp are no good - here the IsoTek Premier wins.

On no, no double-blind ABX whatsoever test conducted... :wink:

Jan 18, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #718 of 760
...On no, no double-blind ABX whatsoever test conducted... :wink:

My line is no one ever bought a Stradivarius or a Rembrandt or a Chateau Margaux based on ABX testing and I'm not buying audio gear based on it either. JMO, YMMV and all that.

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #719 of 760
My line is no one ever bought a Stradivarius or a Rembrandt or a Chateau Margaux based on ABX testing and I'm not buying audio gear based on it either. JMO, YMMV and all that.
No doubt. My day job involves researching human sensory experience. A universal truth about the human senses is that no sense ever works in isolation from other senses. In fact, if you do completely isolate a single sense in laboratory conditions, people begin hallucinating their other senses. ABX testing is for robots.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #720 of 760
Is the "Clock-in" function of the Gaia necessary if I am not using Any Denafrips DAC or should I disable it?

What purpose does it serve otherwise?

I am attempting to set up and connect the Gaia to my Sonnet Pasithea for the first time ; What minimal functions on the Gaia should I activate to make it work?

BTW the Gaia is being fed a USB signal from a Sonore opticalrendu, and I have connected it to the Sonnet Pasithea with a custom-configured Cardas ethernet RJ45 cable from Audio Art Cables, so I am hoping I do not run into any issues involving pinout configurations.

I'm eager to find out how well Gaia and Pasithea sing together. Your helpful thoughts and inputs would be welcome.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back