New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #724 of 759
Or a dedicated external clock.
Yes, but be careful when adding external clock. It is not universal 10MHz clock (Gaia do not have clock synthesiser). It is not even a Word Clock standard brought from the studio equipment.

There are two clock inputs for approx. 45/49MHz, you need two external clocks. It doesn't allow synchronise with other devices, only those two Denafrips top models mentioned above: T2/T+.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #726 of 759
Jan 30, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #727 of 759
Is the "Clock-in" function of the Gaia necessary if I am not using Any Denafrips DAC or should I disable it?

What purpose does it serve otherwise?

I am attempting to set up and connect the Gaia to my Sonnet Pasithea for the first time ; What minimal functions on the Gaia should I activate to make it work?

BTW the Gaia is being fed a USB signal from a Sonore opticalrendu, and I have connected it to the Sonnet Pasithea with a custom-configured Cardas ethernet RJ45 cable from Audio Art Cables, so I am hoping I do not run into any issues involving pinout configurations.

I'm eager to find out how well Gaia and Pasithea sing together. Your helpful thoughts and inputs would be welcome.

Many thanks.
Well, the Pasithea sings with the Gaia like two Greek muses united in a wicked plot to rob me of all sleep, and I am loving every minute of it :

Hesiod_and_the_Muse.jpg

The singxer SU6, which the Gaia has replaced, remains a similarly nice and capable performer which continues to deserve all the respect it has earned, although it elicits a quite different presentation from the Pasithea. Still, the SU6 has to move to a secondary rig now, because the Gaia + Pasithea pairing produces, in comparison, weightier and more textured notes in the mids and the low end which happen to connect me more viscerally and more emotionally to the music. It is harder now to take my Susvara or 1266 TC off and retire them for the night, once I put either one of them on my head and start listening on this Gaia-Pasithea chain, and the time seems to fly by so fast that sometimes I can barely notice my sleeping time dwindling until the night has danced its way right into the wee hours of early morning. Sometimes, that seems like a good problem to have, unless I have to worry about going to work, of course :) :) :)

music.gif
brain-on-music-2-768x723.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #729 of 759
Does the Iris in particular have any cooling requirements? Anyone here using it, say, whilst stored in a closed cabinet, or is it not advisable to use anywhere other than on an open rack/desktop?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #730 of 759
Does the Iris in particular have any cooling requirements? Anyone here using it, say, whilst stored in a closed cabinet, or is it not advisable to use anywhere other than on an open rack/desktop?
.... I don'think it needs open air for cooling. I a closed cabinet it will get pretty warm though -- probably.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #731 of 759

The spec is it uses less than 20 watts. So, if you'd be comfortable running a 20 watt lightbulb in your cabinet then the Iris should be fine.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #732 of 759
The spec is it uses less than 20 watts. So, if you'd be comfortable running a 20 watt lightbulb in your cabinet then the Iris should be fine.
More or less what I was assuming; response is appreciated. I just placed an order for an Iris 12th. I'm gonna use mine in a simple desktop headphone setup. I'm curious, more than anything, about whether having a DDC between my DAC and Macbook Pro (M1Pro; late 2021) and utilizing my DAC's coax (RCA) input will make an audible difference.

I don't currently note any specific sound deficiencies, but know full well it always comes down to comparisons. I'll likely buy a M2 Mac Mini later this year to use as a dedicated music streamer/server to remove my Macbook Pro from the chain as well (using screen sharing on my MBP and phone to control the Mac Mini).

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #733 of 759
More or less what I was assuming; response is appreciated. I just placed an order for an Iris 12th. I'm gonna use mine in a simple desktop headphone setup. I'm curious, more than anything, about whether having a DDC between my DAC and Macbook Pro (M1Pro; late 2021) and utilizing my DAC's coax (RCA) input will make an audible difference.

I don't currently note any specific sound deficiencies, but know full well it always comes down to comparisons. I'll likely buy a M2 Mac Mini later this year to use as a dedicated music streamer/server to remove my Macbook Pro from the chain as well (using screen sharing on my MBP and phone to control the Mac Mini).
Also on the fence on getting a DDC so looking forward to what you think!

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #734 of 759
Ordered the Iris 12th (my date/time in the U.S.) Saturday Feb. 24 ~3:00PM; received shipping email very early morning Tuesday Feb. 27, and it was delivered today Thursday Feb. 29 at ~11:00AM. Not too shabby....

Sticking this between my Macbook Pro and DAC; using digital coax between Iris & DAC. It works, so there's that. I'll see over the next few days if I can note any audible differences between connecting direct via USB and using the Iris in between. Ohhhh, btw, I know financial intermediaries need to make coin, but PayPal especially (and my bank secondarily) can piss off. Dang I despise currency exchange fees.....<says the spoiled American consumer>, hahahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back