New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #692 of 760
Anyone has experience comparing the Gaia/Iris 12th anniversary edition with Singxer SU6?

I’m looking to purchase a DDC and the options come down to either Singxer or Denafrips offering
I had Singxer DDC and changed to the Gaia. There was an obvious improvement. It was too long ago now for me to remember the details of the change.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #693 of 760
I had Singxer DDC and changed to the Gaia. There was an obvious improvement. It was too long ago now for me to remember the details of the change.

Which dac are you using your DDC with? And also which output are you using from the DDC?

I have heard conflicting reviews on how these DDC react to the DAC connected (some say Singxer and Denafrips sound similar, some say the others are better).

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #694 of 760
I have heard conflicting reviews on how these DDC react to the DAC connected (some say Singxer and Denafrips sound similar, some say the others are better).
Yeah, when comparing these two...
Perhaps you should try DI-20HE.

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #695 of 760
One of the benefit for me with SU-6 is ability to send 8x upsampled music via I2S to Sonnet and Metrum DAC without the need of any special cable and with good power supply and clean USB source it can be taken a notch above in performance. It is available for below 500 in used market and hence good bang for buck.
If I had any other DAC then I might have gone with DI-20HE as it goes for around 650 in used market these days and have heard wonderful things about it with whole power regeneration and optical isolation.

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #697 of 760
Dec 26, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #698 of 760
They just dropped DI-24HE.
I see, a new DI-24HE was announced a day later.
It has an internal 10MHz clock and price didn't increase much, so it goes on the account of saving on the external 10MHz clock.

Better features and the added flexibility. It has separate multipurpose BNC ports, both for inputs (so you can beat internal clock with external one) and outputs for synchronising with other devices. It is not just incremental upgrade, I think it will be another big hit.

I noticed missing S/PDIF ports, it can be a hidden feature of 'multipurpose' BNC socket.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #699 of 760
Is it accurate the Denafrips DDCs (Iris, Hermes, and Gaia) “only” output PCM at 768Khz over USB and 384Khz over I2S… and DSD512 on both… to the DAC?

I ask because I’ve consistently read I2S was the superior connection from the DDC to DAC; however, I use HQPlayer to upsample PCM 1536Khz or DSD 1024 to my Pontus II. Not sure I’d want to downgrade my upsampling to 384Khz PCM using I2S…

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #700 of 760
Is it accurate the Denafrips DDCs (Iris, Hermes, and Gaia) “only” output PCM at 768Khz over USB and 384Khz over I2S… and DSD512 on both… to the DAC?

I ask because I’ve consistently read I2S was the superior connection from the DDC to DAC; however, I use HQPlayer to upsample PCM 1536Khz or DSD 1024 to my Pontus II. Not sure I’d want to downgrade my upsampling to 384Khz PCM using I2S…

Thanks in advance.
Why not look up the specs page for the Gaia on the Denafrips website?
You will find this:

DSD DSD64 / 2.8224MHz (DoP) on Coax/AES/Opt Input & Output
Upto DSD512 / 22.5792MHz On USB Input & I²S Output
PCM 24bits / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz On All Input & Output
Up to 768KHz On USB Input & Up to 384KHz on I²S Output

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #701 of 760
Will a Denafrips Iris or Hermes produce a superior Audio performance with a Sonnet Morpheus DAC, as compared to what the Sonnet Morpheus might be able to produce with a Sonnet/Metrum in-house solution, such as a Sonnet Hermes or a Metrum Ambre, assuming all of them are connected via the I2S/RJ45/Ethernet cable to the Morpheus? I must say that I have a Sonore Optical rendu which can pair with either of the Denafrips units in the same chain, but will have no place with either the Sonnet Hermes or the Metrum Ambre, and I am wondering what difference the rendu might make. Any thoughts?

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #702 of 760
Will a Denafrips Iris or Hermes produce a superior Audio performance with a Sonnet Morpheus DAC, as compared to what the Sonnet Morpheus might be able to produce with a Sonnet/Metrum in-house solution, such as a Sonnet Hermes or a Metrum Ambre, assuming all of them are connected via the I2S/RJ45/Ethernet cable to the Morpheus? I must say that I have a Sonore Optical rendu which can pair with either of the Denafrips units in the same chain, but will have no place with either the Sonnet Hermes or the Metrum Ambre, and I am wondering what difference the rendu might make. Any thoughts?

This is just my personal experience, but I've never had a DAC/Streamer/other digital source (and I've owned quite a few, as well as lots of DDC's) that wasn't improved with a quality DDC inserted in the chain. Of course, the degree of improvement with the DDC inserted varies from DAC to DAC and different DDC's, ranging from a relatively small improvement to relatively large improvement. I've got Gaia and Red (Red only used as a DDC) in my two systems. The DI-24HE looks very promising and I'm sure it would also perform very well. I wish someone would send me one to try.

The connecting cables between DDC and DAC also make a difference.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #703 of 760
This is just my personal experience, but I've never had a DAC/Streamer/other digital source (and I've owned quite a few, as well as lots of DDC's) that wasn't improved with a quality DDC inserted in the chain. Of course, the degree of improvement with the DDC inserted varies from DAC to DAC and different DDC's, ranging from a relatively small improvement to relatively large improvement. I've got Gaia and Red (Red only used as a DDC) in my two systems. The DI-24HE looks very promising and I'm sure it would also perform very well. I wish someone would send me one to try.

The connecting cables between DDC and DAC also make a difference.
Which connection are you using between your DDC and DAC? I've been told that I2S is usually the more superior connection, but does better HDMI cable affect the sound?

Also, how do you think the Gaia compares to the Red?

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #704 of 760
Which connection are you using between your DDC and DAC? I've been told that I2S is usually the more superior connection, but does better HDMI cable affect the sound?

Also, how do you think the Gaia compares to the Red?

When I had my Denafrips DAC models, I thought they all sounded best through I2S, so that is what I used.

The cable choice matters. I had both a Tubulus and a Revelation Audio Labs I2S.

Polar opposite sound signatures, and the differences rather noticeable.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #705 of 760

Thanks in advance.
So are the higher data rates USB only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back