New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Oct 28, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #677 of 760
..... it is the quality of the input bitstream that changes with different network connections.
... I played around with my Auralic streamer and NAS today.
Regarding bitstream: I do not use Roon.
I use the Auralic streaming app and run the streamer in "native" mode, to either stream locally stored CD rips or to stream via Internet/Qobuz.

To me an eye-opener was that I could see on the network throughput monitor: The streamer pulls a new file (when a new track starts playing) as fast as possible and stores it in its local cache, probably RAM.
That means: If I start playing a new track, there is a bitstream "incoming" for 1-2 seconds. That's all it takes in a 100 or 1000 mbit/s network to transfer a track.
During rest of playback, there is no "audio" bitstream any more, only controls via App.

I can even unplug the LAN cable from the router, it continues to play the currently pre-cached track.

Still, there is a difference between LAN and WiFi connectivity with my specific streamer, which led me to the conclusion, that not the network bitstream's quality is the issue, but the WiFi module inside the streamer is doing some harm to the USB output.

Full disclosure, my day job for many years was managing the network at a mid-major research university and either because of, or in spite of that I don't want networking anywhere near my music. I download and/or rip files and play physical media.
I slowly beginn to understand why people are willing to spend big $$$$ on high-end CD players. I might chime in, sooner or later...

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #678 of 760
Still, there is a difference between LAN and WiFi connectivity with my specific streamer, which led me to the conclusion, that not the network bitstream's quality is the issue, but the WiFi module inside the streamer is doing some harm to the USB output.
I say no to the built-in WiFi, disable internal radio. But you can use WiFi extender on a short 1.5m Ethernet cable (only long enough to reach the extender plugged directly into your HiFi power extension box). 300Mbps 2.4MHz cost $15, avoid more expensive units coming with a separate power supply box.

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #679 of 760
I paired the DDC Hermes with my Pontus II and I'm very satisfied with it.
I previously had a DDC Iris with the Pontus II, but the sound has improved with the Hermes.
If you can, I suggest you take the Hermes directly which, in my opinion, is the ideal match for the Pontus.
Nice, I have the Iris 12th with my Ares II 12th via i2s. I've just ordered the new Pontus II 12th-1, and I plan to use my Iris 12th.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #680 of 760
Let me know if anyone is using USB cable into a Hermes 12th and i2s cable out to Pontus 2. Any issues? I am still getting sporadic pop/click/distorted noise once in a while. Trying to fix this.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #682 of 760
A lot of people find streaming over a wired connection is superior to wireless. In fact many of my online friends now use a fiber connection for their streamers vs. copper ethernet. This happens even with streamer and DAC in the same box. I don't think it is the USB output per se, it is the quality of the input bitstream that changes with different network connections.

Full disclosure, my day job for many years was managing the network at a mid-major research university and either because of, or in spite of that I don't want networking anywhere near my music. I download and/or rip files and play physical media.
That's why a DDC helped my wireless connection significantly. I have the Denafrips Ares II 12th + Denafrips Iris 12th (a DDC).

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #683 of 760
Have you updated the Pontus and/or Hermes with the latest firmware?
Yes , at first I was on original Pontus2 firmware v1.0 and had the noise issue. Then updated it to v 1.4 and the issue remains. There is no other firmware for Hermes 12th , there's only one which came with the unit when I bought it, which is the newest one.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #685 of 760
Yes , at first I was on original Pontus2 firmware v1.0 and had the noise issue. Then updated it to v 1.4 and the issue remains. There is no other firmware for Hermes 12th , there's only one which came with the unit when I bought it, which is the newest one.
It could be a cable issue. Are you able to try different cables?

Nov 9, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #687 of 760
Yeah, I have tried different usb and i2s cables, also tried different sources like my usual go to Android phone using USB Audio Player Pro or older Windows 10 laptop with HQ Player. I tried no upsampling and upsampling. Nothing solves the random very quick click/pop/digital artifact noise. If I remove the Hermes 12th from the chain, all is good. Vinshine is not able to replicate the issue and having a hard time for a fix.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #688 of 760
Hi, first post but avid reader. Would like to thank you for all the information and experienced comments. My question is related to the Hermes DDC and HQPlayer combination. I'm using a Mac mini M1 as a source, with HQPlayer 4 installed, usb to Hermes and finally I2S to Terminator II. I'm having no trouble with PCM upsampling to 768, max input rate with Hermes (though output is merely 384), but with DSD (PCM to DSD) and nearly every filter there are dropouts in the reproduction. I'm using the ASDM7ECv2 modulator. It could be a problem with the computer capacity, but the sound is pretty stable (no dropouts) when going direct from the Mac mini to the Terminator II via USB. Problems occur with Hermes in the chain. DDC effect is audible with this kind of source, not night and day, but appreciable. Ideal scenario would be upsampling to DSD 256, as PCM at higher bitrates seems absurd with Hermes (would like to try Holo Red when available). It seems that version 5 of HQPlayer is less demanding with the upsampling, but the Mac mini is able to do the work directly connected to Terminator. It would be nice if there's a workaround I'm not aware of that could be of help. Thank you very much in advance!

PS: I apologize for the eventual mistakes with my English, not my native language.

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #689 of 760
I'm having no trouble with PCM upsampling to 768, max input rate with Hermes (though output is merely 384), but with DSD (PCM to DSD) and nearly every filter there are dropouts in the reproduction.
This is correct and a reason why you have dropouts with DSD256.

Normally DSD is transfered inside PCM DoP frames. With overhead of headers, a sample rate for DSD128 is 352.8kHz. It is already approaching a maximum I2S sample rate. DSD256 require a twice bandwidth.

There is a solution for this, at least on Windows. HQPlayer can transfer DSD in a native form using ASIO drivers. There is an option in a player to enable it and DSD256 will play without dropouts. Note, it is not a part of USB specification, it is why it require special drivers.

On a MAC it was always tricky for a player to get a low level access to the device driver. There was one official method (frequently broken with new OS releases) and a workaround called "integer mode". With a latest MAC OS it may be not available, I don't own MAC anymore, I can't advise.

HQPlayer help should give you more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back