New Audeze LCD3
Jul 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #7,966 of 11,521
They are okay in comfort, but nothing compared to my D2000. Fostex made both the old Denon series and the TH-900. If the TH-900 is any indicator of the old Denon line, the TH-900 should beat the LCD-3 hands down. The LCD-3 are okay when you have your head up and watching stuff on a screen. Although if you're reading books without a stand with your neck bent for a long time, the LCD-3 are definitely annoying. Not to mention they have a tendency to slip off. Although I countered this by sliding the pole one level down more than my comfort level. It's less comfortable, but keeps the grip on tighter as well as removes the tendency to align the pads every few minutes.

Regarding fun. They are getting there. Less fun than LCD-2's were overall when I liked them at their peak, which was during the last few weeks when I really, really liked them. Only sold them for LCD-3's to see how much better they were. Technicality wise, these are better. Subjectively better, we'll see.

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #7,967 of 11,521
Quote:
They are okay in comfort, but nothing compared to my D2000. Fostex made both the old Denon series and the TH-900. If the TH-900 is any indicator of the old Denon line, the TH-900 should beat the LCD-3 hands down. The LCD-3 are okay when you have your head up and watching stuff on a screen. Although if you're reading books without a stand with your neck bent for a long time, the LCD-3 are definitely annoying. Not to mention they have a tendency to slip off. Although I countered this by sliding the pole one level down more than my comfort level. It's less comfortable, but keeps the grip on tighter as well as removes the tendency to align the pads every few minutes.

Regarding fun. They are getting there. Less fun than LCD-2's were overall when I liked them at their peak, which was during the last few weeks when I really, really liked them. Only sold them for LCD-3's to see how much better they were. Technicality wise, these are better. Subjectively better, we'll see.

Unlike the TH-900s that sound great out of almost anything, sorry, the LCD-3s are going to take a substantial investment in time and $ to get the most out of them. That's the nature of transparent headphones. The HD800s are tougher still.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #7,968 of 11,521
Let's see how the Bursons do. If they sound good, I'll pick them up. If not, then Mjolnir. I need some more slam/quantity in the mid bass like the LCD-2's had.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #7,969 of 11,521
Quote:
Let's see how the Bursons do. If they sound good, I'll pick them up. If not, then Mjolnir. I need some more slam/quantity in the mid bass like the LCD-2's had.

LCD-3 definitely doesn't have as much midbass, its just not as forward as the LCD-2 (though the LCD-2 is a laid back headphone like LCD-3, just not as much).  i  don't think an amp is gonna change that, just make them cleaner and tighter sounding.

u will love the TH-900 if u get them, nice complement to LCD-3

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #7,970 of 11,521
i felt they were a bit layed back as well coming from the 2 but then i picked up a mjolnir. Its forward/agressive nature really complimented the lcd3 for me. If either of you get a chance to audition it, you might dig it with the 3

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #7,971 of 11,521
Quote:
i felt they were a bit layed back as well coming from the 2 but then i picked up a mjolnir. Its forward/agressive nature really complimented the lcd3 for me. If either of you get a chance to audition it, you might dig it with the 3

ill have to check it out some day then. i still haven't heard it. maybe even a burson with the LCD-3. i loved the conductor with the LCD-2, though i still preferred my WA6-SE

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #7,972 of 11,521
Quote:

LCD-3 definitely doesn't have as much midbass, its just not as forward as the LCD-2 (though the LCD-2 is a laid back headphone like LCD-3, just not as much).  i  don't think an amp is gonna change that, just make them cleaner and tighter sounding.

u will love the TH-900 if u get them, nice complement to LCD-3

If I keep both, then my budget for amp + dac will take a hit and will have to spend time without them. If I keep one, then I can get a good system going. Also, potentially speakers. It all depends on how all the pieces fall together when I try them out. BTW the O2 with D2000 is remarkably tight. It maintains like 90-85% of the bass quantity and slam while tightening it up by a wide margin. I'll bring it along to try with the TH-900 as well.

Near the end, I found a very good sweet spot with the LCD-2s. They had great bass to keep me entertained, but weren't all in my face. The LCD-3 are more livelier and juicy in the mids and treble, but just lack the bass slam.

Quick question again for those that tried out the Soloist and Mjolnir. Talking about bass slam and body, which amp was better. So far I have read stuff like the Mjolnir being aggressive and the Soloist being a bit relaxed, although with some great bass response. So I would really like to know on that aspect especially. Also, if the users listened to any hip hop, rap or electronic music.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #7,973 of 11,521
lol wait till u hear TH-900 way tighter than D2k. the TH-900 has really clean tight textured and well defined bass, but with that bass heavy denon/fostex sound. and unlike the old denon line, no complaints about midbass or slam here.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #7,974 of 11,521
Quote:

Cool. How did you find the bass response. Did you find enough body and slam? Also, what type of music do you listen to (Just trying to find people with similar music style, music presentation preference as well as same equipment)

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #7,975 of 11,521
Quote:
lol wait till u hear TH-900 way tighter than D2k. the TH-900 has really clean tight textured and well defined bass, but with that bass heavy denon/fostex sound. and unlike the old denon line, no complaints about midbass or slam here.

I suppose then O2 and TH-900 will be tightness overkill 
biggrin.gif
 Might as well let it play and come out.

Midbass slam - Yay!

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #7,976 of 11,521
Quote:

Cool. How did you find the bass response. Did you find enough body and slam? Also, what type of music do you listen to (Just trying to find people with similar music style, music presentation preference as well as same equipment)

The mjolnir allows for nice extension and overall bass comes across as very well controlled, really no complaints in that department. I listen to a lot of hip hop and electronic btw. Your not going to get that lcd2 punch by switching to it the mjolnir, but the control it has over sub frequency with the 3 sounds real nice to me

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #7,977 of 11,521
Quote:
The mjolnir allows for nice extension and overall bass comes across as very well controlled, really no complaints in that department. I listen to a lot of hip hop and electronic btw. Your not going to get that lcd2 punch by switching to it the mjolnir, but the control it has over sub frequency with the 3 sounds real nice to me

Damn. More control is of course appreciated. Even on my current system, I don't have a problem with bass control. Bass body and slam is the one thing that I do have a bit of issue with. With the LCD-3's currently, it actually has decent sub bass on some recordings. Midbass punch, not so much.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #7,978 of 11,521
Quote:

Damn. More control is of course appreciated. Even on my current system, I don't have a problem with bass control. Bass body and slam is the one thing that I do have a bit of issue with. With the LCD-3's currently, it actually has decent sub bass on some recordings. Midbass punch, not so much.

It took me a couple weeks to get use to lcd3 coming from lcd2 for that same reason. i always thought of it like the lcd2 is like a 10inch sub its nice and punchy but doesnt have the frequency extension and the lcd3 is more like a 12inch sub loses some punch but moves more air and has lower extension. however the overall benefits of the 3, far out weighted the 1 disadvantage which was mid punch, for me. The mjolnir helps some but i dont think any amp is going to eq that mid bass punch in. You can try the mjolnir for 15days if you order from schiit, burson i would image has a way of auditioning in house as well. Ive had had the lcd3 for a year now and ive really grown to love its bass presentation, my advice just give it a little more time.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #7,979 of 11,521
Quote:

It took me a couple weeks to get use to lcd3 coming from lcd2 for that same reason. i always thought of it like the lcd2 is like a 10inch sub its nice and punchy but doesnt have the frequency extension and the lcd3 is more like a 12inch sub loses some punch but moves more air and has lower extension. however the overall benefits of the 3, far out weighted the 1 disadvantage which was mid punch, for me. The mjolnir helps some but i dont think any amp is going to eq that mid bass punch in. You can try the mjolnir for 15days if you order from schiit, burson i would image has a way of auditioning in house as well. Ive had had the lcd3 for a year now and ive really grown to love its bass presentation, my advice just give it a little more time.

Yeah it very well could be the adjusting period. I had the LCD-2 for 5 months, only really began liking it in the last month or so. Have had the LCD-3 for about a month now. Maybe a few more months like last time. I agree about the sub bass going lower than LCD-2 and having a decent body. Although on the other hand, the Denon's and the Fostex I imagine as well have a more engulfing sub bass feel than the LCD-3's. I will audition the Burson's. If that doesn't suit me, I think I might go for a used Mjolnir maybe so I can live with it for longer and if I don't like it, then I can sell it without losing much.

Also, for me I don't know if 15 days is enough. First the burn-in, then listening and adjusting. Then going over a bunch of variety. For me it takes a lot more than 15 days to really get a solid handle of equipment.

With trap and bass, the LCD-3's are actually near basshead territory. With bass heavy music in particular it sounds good. Although if trance and other stuff, it goes soft on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back