Music server recommendation?
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ruthieandjohn

Stumbling towards enlightenment
(Formerly known as kayandjohn.)
I am looking for a music sever for a two channel system with these features:
  • Store about 2TB of hi res, CD res, and Apple AAC files
  • Wireless remote control app via iPad
  • Streaming capability via WiFi (Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon HD)
  • Rack or shelf mountable (display appears on remote iPad, not the unit itself)
  • MQA unfolding (lower priority)
  • Digital output (using separate D to A)
Thanks for your advice.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 8
I just did pretty extensive research on various servers before I decided upon the Aurender N100H.

One thing that I feel you need to recognize is the ease and reliability of the software. The Aurender Conductor app is the highest rated interface of all the companies I researched. That being said,it took me well over a week to transfer and organize into playlists approx 1.2 TB of music....about 8-13 hours to transfer. About a week to organize. Im afraid to know what the dodgy UI's wouldve taken me.

Im not sure about MQA nor streaming as I do neither but the Aurender should at least be considered.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi @ruthieandjohn,

Depending on your budget, I suggest looking into the PS Audio Directstream DAC.
I also believe the DAC & streaming components can be upgraded if necessary as new components become available.
More importantly, it will do all the things you need it to do.

While I do not own this, I have used this a few times & it is decent.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 8
@Monsterzero, thanks for your suggestion...looks like the N100H is MADE for my needs! I cannot find a price...do you know what they cost?

@PaganDL, it looks like the PS Audio Directstream DAC includes a DAC. I am looking for a source to feed a DAC already there. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 8
@Monsterzero, thanks for your suggestion...looks like the N100H is MADE for my needs! I cannot find a price...do you know what they cost?

@PaganDL, it looks like the PS Audio Directstream DAC includes a DAC. I am looking for a source to feed a DAC already there. Thanks!
Ive seen it go for 2799.00 IIRC. About a month ago one sold in the classifieds for 1500.00,but there were about 5 members fighting over it at that price.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 8
@ruthieandjohn,

You don't have to use the DAC in the Directstream.

Personally, if a device comes with a DAC, I tend not to use the inbuilt either.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks!

I have also gotten a recommendation for the Meridian 218 Zone Controller with a Sooloos network storage and user interface. I am trying to figure out whether it gives a standard digital out to go to another DAC. It does seem to support digital transfers via a proprietary Meridian interface, not a standard one such as SPDIF.

Anyone familiar with the Meridian 218, it’s digital outputs, and its Internal DAC? Thanks!

Dec 25, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Node 2i or Vault if you need local storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back