Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014)
Sep 7, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #481 of 714
Theogenes,

I'll bring a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350's (one of the best bargains in headphones), plus a Schiit Audio Vali  amp (will drive many headphones and is a steal at the asking price.

See you there!

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #482 of 714
  Theogens,

I'll bring a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350's (one of the best bargains in headphones), plus a Schiit Audio Vali  amp (will drive many headphones and is a steal at the asking price.

See you there!

Awesome man, can't wait to have you there!! Yeah, the DT1350 and T51p had a little showdown at the last meet... Ended up being a bit of a draw, with Eric preferring the 1350 and Ben and myself (and maybe Fred? trying to remember...) leaning towards the T51p. Great little headphones, though! I ended up with a T51p and a T51i as a result
redface.gif

See ya there, man!!

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #483 of 714

Awesome man, can't wait to have you there!! Yeah, the DT1350 and T51p had a little showdown at the last meet... Ended up being a bit of a draw, with Eric preferring the 1350 and Ben and myself (and maybe Fred? trying to remember...) leaning towards the T51p. Great little headphones, though! I ended up with a T51p and a T51i as a result
redface.gif

See ya there, man!!

I chose the 1350s and I stand by it!  
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #484 of 714
  I chose the 1350s and I stand by it!  
tongue.gif

The only sane, reasonable way to solve this is obviously a holy war. You, sir, are obviously a heathen in the ways of Beyerdynamic portable headphones, and shall be cast out with a vengeance, and/or a noogie. Verily I say these things unto you...

biggrin.gif

Yeah, I was actually really impressed by both of the Beyers. Really, really good sound for the money. I've actually started listening to my T51i again while I'm going to sleep (due to the unfortunate demise of my Rockets' headphone cable... Maltipoo of Doom, I promise you), and they are still quite impressive. Based on the experiences I've had thus far, I'm coming down pretty hard on the Beyer side of the Beyerdynamic/Sennheiser Bloods/Crips thing. They really make some impressive headphones... Can't wait to hear the T1 for the first time!!!!!!!
ph34r.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #485 of 714

Yeah, the scheduling was most definitely intentional. In fact, I worked today specifically because I now have to work at least one Saturday each month (BOOOOOOOOO), I'd scheduled the meet for our off week, and Arkansas State appeared to be the least important game of the month. Of course, due to the joint miracles of Watch ESPN, Xfinity TV Go, and Slingbox, I sure as hell didn't miss the game. You can force me to be at work, but you are gonna have trouble keeping me away from the game one way or another. (Ironically, today ended up being one of our best productivity days at work... I credit the Vols defense. Somehow.)

I'm guessing 20-30, although we have less than 20 people actually committed to coming thus far. When it actually happens, though, who knows? I doubt we'll end up with 50 or 75 people or anything like that, which is good-- as that would probably be much more difficult to manage. We'll just see, I guess!

Oh man, hate that you won't be able to make it!! Sounds like that gives us a great excuse to set up another one in the future though :wink:. Btw, as a closed-headphone aficionado, I'm curious to hear what you think about the Edition 8-- you dig it? I still toy with the idea of snatching up a set of Sig Pros at some point...

If you're ever down Cookeville way and wanna shoot the breeze, let me know!! We don't have much, but we have at least one legitimately good pub/bar that's worth your time!
beerchug.gif

Nah, only real danger is getting lost... Big, cavernous, mostly empty space. Just mind the boxes of random football and literary knowledge piled around haphazardly and you'll be just fine :p.

Anyone over OSU is sweet. Btw, as utterly 'sour grapes' as this is, I was delighted to see that Vonn Bell didn't get the start to open the season, and to see he's been a bit of a diva about it. Wonder if he regrets backstabbing the program he'd basically silent committed to now... Kinda hope so
evil_smiley.gif

Michigan State didn't look bad, and depending on how everything shakes out, they or Wisconsin (or, god forbid, OSU) could still conceivably make it. Three teams I just loathe, personally: Florida, Southern Cal, and Ohio State. Notre Dame is close, but not quite top-run for my disdain. Anytime these programs lose, it's just sweet, sweet music to my ears. Now that Notre Dame stomped an unranked and obviously middling-at-best Michigan team, you can cue the predictable (and utterly baseless) litany of Irish apologists making their cases for why the Fightin' Academic Scammers should be in the four-team bracket this year. Sigh.

That'll play nicely with my bandana and single rolled-up pantleg!! GENIUS!!!!
tongue.gif

I do enjoy the sound signature of the Ed-8 although they've been criticized by the community for scratchy mids.  I don't reach for them as often now that I have the X.  Like Jay, I happened on the X by chance.  Was 100% ready to pull the trigger on the LCD-2.2 when the X came on the market.  I thought a planar with low impedence had to be something special, and there's been no looking back.  I bought the X without having heard them.
BTW, I grew up in Indiana and went to Purdue.  Fully agree that anyone over OSU is sweet.  My boss attended OSU and you know to those folks it is The OSU. 
blink.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #486 of 714
I do enjoy the sound signature of the Ed-8 although they've been criticized by the community for scratchy mids.  I don't reach for them as often now that I have the X.  Like Jay, I happened on the X by chance.  Was 100% ready to pull the trigger on the LCD-2.2 when the X came on the market.  I thought a planar with low impedence had to be something special, and there's been no looking back.  I bought the X without having heard them.
BTW, I grew up in Indiana and went to Purdue.  Fully agree that anyone over OSU is sweet.  My boss attended OSU and you know to those folks it is The OSU.  :blink:

My Coach, Jim Young, at Arizona, left after we won the WAC my Freshman year (yes, I am older than Meduzula) and went to Purdue. Great Guy, good timing on his part, we joined the PAC-12 after that and it was a bit more challenging than the WAC. I guess I may have to tone down my Big-10 rhetoric a tad though.....

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #487 of 714
Greetings from a Nashville ex-pat exiled here in PA.  Wish I had a work or a family excuse to get back to mid-TN.  I only stumbled across the thread last night.  This sounds like a great event I wish I could attend.  It'd be the perfect opportunity to get back to Leiper's Fork with my euro-trash bike crowd and maybe over to the Perfect Pig in White Bluff. 

Anything like this happening in the burbs near Philly would be nice.  It's such an @$$-ache getting into NYC for the audio shows.

I've enjoyed the head-fi forum tremendously & wish I could be back to show some support.  If anyone's near NYC/Phila and would like an all expense paid behind-the-scenes tour of the worlds' premier acoustic guitar manufacturer, I'd be happy to guide you around my posto di lavoro.

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #488 of 714
Okay, enough college football talk.  It's Sunday, people.

Go Bengals!

Getting the road win in Baltimore is big even though they nearly gave me a heart attack in the process.

Theo, I agree that both portables are steals for the money.  The T51 just had a slightly boomier/fuzzier bass and the lack of clamp force killed me...felt like they were always going to fall off my head.  Otherwise, they were dead even in my book.

I got really excited when people started complaining about the clamp force on the HE-400is.  
gs1000.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #489 of 714
BTW, I grew up in Indiana and went to Purdue.  Fully agree that anyone over OSU is sweet.  My boss attended OSU and you know to those folks it is The OSU. 
blink.gif

I plan on giving the Ed 8s a listen some day... Heard they're pretty good with electric guitars, which I listen to a lot :wink:.

Speaking of Purdue, Breezy looked really good tonight!! If we hadn't had the @#$% fumble in OT, we stand a fantastic chance of winning that game. Arrrghh...

My Coach, Jim Young, at Arizona, left after we won the WAC my Freshman year (yes, I am older than Meduzula) and went to Purdue. Great Guy, good timing on his part, we joined the PAC-12 after that and it was a bit more challenging than the WAC. I guess I may have to tone down my Big-10 rhetoric a tad though.....

Nah, the Big 10 has earned it-- chat away! Also, what fun would all this be if we couldn't jaw with each other about it a little? :wink:

Greetings from a Nashville ex-pat exiled here in PA.  Wish I had a work or a family excuse to get back to mid-TN.  I only stumbled across the thread last night.  This sounds like a great event I wish I could attend.  It'd be the perfect opportunity to get back to Leiper's Fork with my euro-trash bike crowd and maybe over to the Perfect Pig in White Bluff. 

Anything like this happening in the burbs near Philly would be nice.  It's such an @$$-ache getting into NYC for the audio shows.

I've enjoyed the head-fi forum tremendously & wish I could be back to show some support.  If anyone's near NYC/Phila and would like an all expense paid behind-the-scenes tour of the worlds' premier acoustic guitar manufacturer, I'd be happy to guide you around my posto di lavoro.

Hey man! Hate you'll miss it, but hopefully we'll be able to make this a more regular thing, so you might be able to join us next time!
beerchug.gif

Okay, enough college football talk.  It's Sunday, people.

Go Bengals!

Getting the road win in Baltimore is big even though they nearly gave me a heart attack in the process.

Theo, I agree that both portables are steals for the money.  The T51 just had a slightly boomier/fuzzier bass and the lack of clamp force killed me...felt like they were always going to fall off my head.  Otherwise, they were dead even in my book.

I got really excited when people started complaining about the clamp force on the HE-400is.  
gs1000.gif

I work with a lady that's a big Bengals fan. I don't mind the Bengals at all, and beating the Ravens is definitely a step in the right direction within the division. Going to be interesting seeing how the Steelers turn out... I was looking through some statistical breakdowns of different trends and rankings in the NFL over several years, and the Steelers struck me as the most cyclical team in the NFL, with a pattern of something like 1-2 good years, 2-3 bad years, and 1-2 awful years before starting over. (That may not have been the exact pattern, so don't hold me to that).

My Saints lost today though, in pretty gut-wrenching fashion, and to the Dirty Birds, no less... Hopefully PFM and the Broncos will save the day tonight with a good-lookin' win. We'll see :wink:.

Clamping force on circumaurals doesn't bother me much, but I'm not a fan of vice-like clamps on supra-aurals. Having calcified cauliflower ear probably explains my wimpiness :p. And yeah, even though I doubt I'd end up being able to get a set of HE400i without paring down the collection a bit, I'm still pretty excited to hear them... HFM puts really, really good sound within the reach of a lot of people, and I'm interested to see how it holds up against some incredibly stiff competition at the meet. Plus, we'll all get to chip in and help you find a perfect amp for that sucker!!! :D

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #490 of 714
Special request time:

Would any of you fine audiophilic gentlmen be interested in setting up an ABX test for hi-res/lossy format music?

I've A/Bed FLAC, mp3 320, ALAC, and even hi-res material several times over the last few months and honestly 320kbps is completely transparent to me. I've used a myriad of amps, DACs, and cans to no avail. Would any of you be interested in putting together an appropriate test for me that employs some of your upper-end equipment to see if I (or anyone else who's interested) can reliably pick out HQ formats?

Many thanks,
Joe

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #491 of 714
I'd be down! Always wanted to set up an ABX comparison, but was always too lazy. Not sure what I'll have time to do on it, but I believe there's a plugin for JRMC somewhere, if I can find it...

What were you thinking in terms of setup, Joe?

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #492 of 714
I'd be down! Always wanted to set up an ABX comparison, but was always too lazy. Not sure what I'll have time to do on it, but I believe there's a plugin for JRMC somewhere, if I can find it...

What were you thinking in terms of setup, Joe?

How do you mean? 

I figured since most of the gear at the meet bests mine, I'd just plug into whatever setup you have handy :)

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #493 of 714
^I'm in if I can use my rig, Wyrd>Bifrost>Lyr 2> HE560's with the Draug 2 Cable. I would also suggest an unblinded pre-test listening session, then move to blind testing.

I don't have a lot of low Rez music, but. I do have several CD Rips as FLAC recordings and the same cuts in high rez.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #494 of 714
How do you mean? 

I figured since most of the gear at the meet bests mine, I'd just plug into whatever setup you have handy :)

Ah, so using your stuff as source, gotcha. Any idea what tracks you'll use?

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #495 of 714
^I'm in if I can use my rig, Wyrd>Bifrost>Lyr 2> HE560's with the Draug 2 Cable. I would also suggest an unblinded pre-test listening session, then move to blind testing.

I don't have a lot of low Rez music, but. I do have several CD Rips as FLAC recordings and the same cuts in high rez.

Very interested in hearing your Lyr 2, by the way.

They seem to match HiFiMan orthos well, so it's top of my list to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back