Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 31, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #14,176 of 16,931

Definitely not a good sign. Sounds like a mechanical problem with the armature but I can't say I've ever experience the same. 

Fraid that might be the case. I guess I'll have to start putting some cash aside for a replacement. Any suggestions for a replacement? Was thinking bout moving up to a dual/multi BA, but honestly I have no idea what benefits I could expect. The 232 is way out of my price range (esp. for a discontinued model), but been reading bout the r50 and am a little intrigued (the vc1000(?) too, but I find a dedicated over ear design fit me better than a straight tube). I do like the sound of the 111s with the grey filters with pretty much all music - they are a little bass light, but I would prefer too little bass than too much (and I also have gr07be to scratch that itch if need be).

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #14,178 of 16,931

Fraid that might be the case. I guess I'll have to start putting some cash aside for a replacement. Any suggestions for a replacement? Was thinking bout moving up to a dual/multi BA, but honestly I have no idea what benefits I could expect. The 232 is way out of my price range (esp. for a discontinued model), but been reading bout the r50 and am a little intrigued (the vc1000(?) too, but I find a dedicated over ear design fit me better than a straight tube). I do like the sound of the 111s with the grey filters with pretty much all music - they are a little bass light, but I would prefer too little bass than too much (and I also have gr07be to scratch that itch if need be).

you are not on bass right , you have a few options around $100 , to name , hf5 , re-400 , brainwavz b2 , keep in mind that these B2 BA ( most of the twin BAs ) drives have some peaky highs . i might not go for r50 but thats not bad , if you have no problem with a higher budget , mdr7550 is my top recommendation .

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #14,179 of 16,931

The PFE is still pretty darn capable despite being old and single-BA. The list suman posted is good - Ety HF5 if you want neutral, B2 or R-50 if you're okay with a slightly brighter tone (VC1000 is my favorite of these but it's hard to find now). RE-400 if you want slightly warmer but still close to neutral and with no bass enhancement. I would add the TDK BA200 to that category as well. All of these can be worn over the ear though of course the BA200 and R-50 are the only ones designed for it.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #14,180 of 16,931

you are not on bass right , you have a few options around $100 , to name , hf5 , re-400 , brainwavz b2 , keep in mind that these B2 BA ( most of the twin BAs ) drives have some peaky highs . i might not go for r50 but thats not bad , if you have no problem with a higher budget , mdr7550 is my top recommendation .

The PFE is still pretty darn capable despite being old and single-BA. The list suman posted is good - Ety HF5 if you want neutral, B2 or R-50 if you're okay with a slightly brighter tone (VC1000 is my favorite of these but it's hard to find now). RE-400 if you want slightly warmer but still close to neutral and with no bass enhancement. I would add the TDK BA200 to that category as well. All of these can be worn over the ear though of course the BA200 and R-50 are the only ones designed for it.

Thanks for the recommendations. If I do need to replace em, I will go with another BA set. Just bought my vsonic in Jan., so I have a decent enough dynamic for now. The one big thing I prefer my pfe over the vsonic is in the hi freq. The pfe are much smoother, and I find the vsonic can sound a little 'ringy' at times - so maybe the r50 might not be the best choice. Also looking at some of the ath-im0x phones.
So far though the pfe have been going well. Got about 5-6 hrs now since my problem and they've been fine. When I did crank the vol, the pop they made wasn't really loud, or alarming, more akin to what you hear listening to vinyl. Dunno if the driver just got a little stuck or something, but as long as they keep going I'll continue to listen and enjoy.
Cheers.

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #14,181 of 16,931
   joker , i need some help , help me save $18 . so , i just brought a twinwoofer , is it worth it ? how much will you give it for SQ , cuz im thinking of a re fund . i dont think they worth it , got my replacement today , and havent heard them at all but still , should i keep it ? cuz to it , its slide , on the first one i had 2 hrs of burning and , nothing in the highs ( too smooth ) and veiled mids and blasting amount of bass was all i had , will this improve to some thing more potent ?

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #14,182 of 16,931
  Thanks for the recommendations. If I do need to replace em, I will go with another BA set. Just bought my vsonic in Jan., so I have a decent enough dynamic for now. The one big thing I prefer my pfe over the vsonic is in the hi freq. The pfe are much smoother, and I find the vsonic can sound a little 'ringy' at times - so maybe the r50 might not be the best choice. Also looking at some of the ath-im0x phones.
So far though the pfe have been going well. Got about 5-6 hrs now since my problem and they've been fine. When I did crank the vol, the pop they made wasn't really loud, or alarming, more akin to what you hear listening to vinyl. Dunno if the driver just got a little stuck or something, but as long as they keep going I'll continue to listen and enjoy.
Cheers.

i dont know any twin BA phone that is smooth (  may be vc1000 ) , but single BAs will do , why not another dynamic ? try re-400 , you cant tell that its a dynamic until you realize its pumping more air then a BA and is fairly smooth . i hope your pfe hold on , i had plans on them , just one to add to my collection , but they are obsolete now , tough luck and no chance to do better next time .
Enjoy your PFE .

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #14,183 of 16,931

i dont know any twin BA phone that is smooth (  may be vc1000 ) , but single BAs will do , why not another dynamic ? try re-400 , you cant tell that its a dynamic until you realize its pumping more air then a BA and is fairly smooth . i hope your pfe hold on , i had plans on them , just one to add to my collection , but they are obsolete now , tough luck and no chance to do better next time .
Enjoy your PFE .

Thanks again for the input. Honestly I figure that I should have at least 1 of each type (actually, I also own a pair of xba1 that I picked off Amazon for cheap). I really do hope my pfe do hold on for a long while since I'd have to say that they're my fav right now. As far as another pair of dynamics go, I'm getting pretty tempted by all the hype round the havi b3 (or maybe ath-im70). Hopefully Joker can manage to get some for a review one day.

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #14,184 of 16,931
@Mr Trev

The ue600 is also a great single ba. For me it outclasses the xba-1.

You should try the Havi :wink:

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #14,185 of 16,931

Cheers.

I would definitely consider an Ety for nice BA-generated highs if the PFE gives up the ghost. Hopefully it won't though - it's a great earphone. With a $200 filter the PFE still falls in the top 10 in my ranking.

joker , i need some help , help me save $18 . so , i just brought a twinwoofer , is it worth it ? how much will you give it for SQ , cuz im thinking of a re fund . i dont think they worth it , got my replacement today , and havent heard them at all but still , should i keep it ? cuz to it , its slide , on the first one i had 2 hrs of burning and , nothing in the highs ( too smooth ) and veiled mids and blasting amount of bass was all i had , will this improve to some thing more potent ?

Yeah, it's a basshead earphone at best. I compared it to the slightly less expensive NarMoo S1 here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/narmoo-s1/ and came to pretty much the same conclusions. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #14,186 of 16,931

Yeah, it's a basshead earphone at best. I compared it to the slightly less expensive NarMoo S1 here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/narmoo-s1/ and came to pretty much the same conclusions. 

thanks , i think i should call for refund .

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #14,187 of 16,931
T-Peos D200R has been added. Planned review list on the front page has been partly updated.

(3A87) T-Peos D200R

Reviewed August 2014

Details: One of several sub-$50 headset models from Korea-based T-Peos
MSRP: est. $35
Current Price: $35 from mp4nation.net
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 105 dB | Freq: 20-18k Hz | Cable: 4′ L-plug with mic & 1-button remote
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges, MEElec M6 single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear (preferred)

Accessories (2.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes) and soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (4/5) – As with the other T-Peos earphones I’ve tried, the construction of the D200R is well above average, utilizing metal housings and a sturdy cable that’s nylon-sheathed below the y-split and terminated with an angled plug. The D200R boasts an inline mic with a 1-button remote, but no cable cinch
Isolation (3/5) – Good, on par with other earphones of this type
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Present with cable-down wear; very good when worn over-the-ear
Comfort (4/5) – The 8mm driver allows a slim and compact housing design and the earphones are not heavy despite the metal construction. Due to the soft and flexible cable, the D200R can be worn very comfortably both cable-down and cable up

Sound (7.9/10) – The T-Peos D200R is the latest in a long line of sub-$50 T-Peos earphones I’ve had the pleasure of listening to, the others being the Tank, Popular, Spider, and Rich200. While they all share a familial resemblance in sound signature, the D200R is the most balanced of the lot by a margin – it has the least bass enhancement, the smoothest treble, and the strongest midrange.

The bass of the D200R is still emphasized, however, and the tonal character is on the warm side of neutral. Its bass quantity is lower compared to the other T-Peos earphones but impact is still on par with sets like VSonic’s VSD1S. Bass quality is good – there is just a touch of “boom” compared to the T-Peos Popular and Rich200, both of which impressed me to no end with the quality of their bass, as well as the pricier SteelSeries Flux.

The midrange of the D200R is in good balance with its bass – not forward, like that of the Fidue A63, but not recessed. It is more prominent and full-bodied compared to the other T-Peos earphones I’ve tied, which tend to be more v-shaped. In the case of the D200R, the v-shape is so mild that calling the overall sound “balanced” is hardly a stretch. Clarity is very good, again lagging just behind the Popular, Rich200, and SteelSeries Flux.

There is a small amount of elevation in the treble region, but the D200R is smoother and less treble-heavy than the other T-Peos sets. It’s still not as smooth as the HiFiMan RE-400 or Fidue A63, for example, but its treble presence is excellent in my book – enough to convey the energy of cymbals, but not quite enough to be consistently harsh or sibilant. It teeters right on the edge of what I would call unforgiving, but more often than not stays on the right side of that line.

The presentation is good, with decent depth and better width. Thanks to more balanced sound, the D200R has better imaging and less congestion than the other entry-level T-Peos earphones I’ve tried so far.

Select Comparisons

T-Peos Rich200 ($33)

The T-Peos D200R and Rich200 boast similar audio performance but differ in sound signature, with the Rich200 offering up a slightly more v-shaped response. Its bass is a bit more impactful but impresses greatly with its quality – it is very tight and extended. The D200R, on the other hand, boasts more presence in the midrange and has a more full-bodied sound. The mids of the Rich200 are a touch more recessed, but also clearer. Part of the clarity comes from the stronger treble, which also causes it to be somewhat more harsh and sibilance-prone than the D200R.

The similarities in price, form factor, and even feature set make choosing between these two earphones more difficult than it should be, but what it comes down to is this: the Rich200 has better bass while mids are a toss-up – fuller and more forward on the D200R, more recessed but clearer on the Rich200. Treble is better with the D200R and its less v-shaped sound grants it a slightly more natural tone.

NarMoo R1M ($30) (silver ports) 

NarMoo’s entry-level R1M model features interchangeable tuning ports which give it three different sound signatures. The R1M is at its best with the (least bassy) “silver” tuning ports. Even in this configuration, the D200R has slightly less bass quantity but still maintains excellent extension and is capable of very solid punch. The low end of the R1M appears stronger and at times more intrusive while the bass of the D200R is tighter and its midrange is more prominent and clear. However, the T-Peos also tends to sound harsher at times. The R1M is significantly less crisp, but boasts a wider soundstage and more open sound next to the more forward D200R.

Astrotec AM-90 ($44)

The Astrotec AM-90 is one of the most affordable Balanced Armature earphones on the market and a decent enough example of BA sound. Several years ago, a BA earphone would in this price range would have been a no-brainer, but dynamic-driver sets have come a long way, which the D200R illustrates perfectly. As expected, the T-Peos unit boasts significantly more bass than the AM-90 – its low end has greater depth and body, delivering more of both sub-bass rumble and mid-bass impact.

In the midrange, the AM-90 sounds thinner, but surprisingly not any clearer than the D200R. The D200R also boasts greater treble energy while the AM-90 is smoother and more forgiving. Personally, I find the D200R’s greater treble presence to be more realistic. It is also the more dynamic and engaging of the two earphones and images better, making the AM-90 sound a little too flat and forward in comparison.

VSonic VSD1S ($50)

VSonic’s VSD1S is more v-shaped in response than the T-Peos D200R. Its bass is similar in impact to the T-Peos but a bit tighter, and its midrange is more recessed and a little clearer, more like that of the T-Peos Rich200. The D200R has more midrange presence and sounds thicker and more full-bodied than the VSD1S. It is also smoother up top, though still far from forgiving. The VSD1S can be a touch more sibilant at times. Both earphones are quite capable on the presentation front, but the VSonic unit is a bit more spacious.

T-Peos H-100 ($120)

T-Peos’ higher-end H-100 model is a hybrid earphone – that is, it uses a combination of dynamic and balanced armature drivers, in this case one of each. Despite the H-100 having a dynamic driver dedicated to producing bass, the D200R is bassier. It offers up more impact, but its bass sounds boomy in comparison to the tight low end of the H-100. It seems that the woofer of the H-100 is tuned for quality over quantity.

Thanks to the boomier bass, the D200R also sounds muddier in the midrange. The mids of the H-100 are significantly clearer and more detailed, but also somewhat thin-sounding and a little withdrawn. The tone of the D200R is warmer, whereas the H-100 is fairly bright. The more crisp and energetic treble of the H-100 is also less tolerant of sibilance, though not as much so as one may expect from such a bright earphone. Thanks to its more recessed mids, the H-100 has a wider, somewhat more distant sound whereas the D200R is more forward.

Value (9.5/10) – As far as reasonably-priced earphones go, the T-Peos D200R has a lot going for it – sturdy build, headset functionality, and a sonic signature that makes all the right concessions. It might not have the tightest bass or clearest sound, but it avoids recessed mids and is smoother up top compared to its siblings. Its round cables make it easier to wear over-the-ear compared to the flat-cabled T-Peos sets, and it is less microphonic. For all these reasons, the D200R gets our “Recommended” badge.

Pros: Good bass and excellent all-around performance; compact and comfortable housings; solid construction
Cons: Bass quality not quite as impressive as with the T-Peos Rich200

The overall ranking has been updated here.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #14,188 of 16,931
  The T-PEOS H-200 comes to mind, if you want to spend that much. 

A little old to respond to this quote of last December, but prompted by the fact that a review of another T-PEOS 200, the T-PEOS D200R, has been posted, and the fact that I have and LOVE the T-PEOS H-200 (3-way hybrid), I thought I'd post this in hopes of prompting a review of the T-PEOS H-200.  Like the AKG K3003i IEM, it has a dynamic bass driver and pair of balanced armatures for mid and high frequencies.  It ranges from $250 - $300, though not stocked by amazon.com.

I have only three headphones that simultaneously provide subbass so strong as to be palpable, while providing top-notch transparency and speed.... the AKG K3003is, the HiFiMAN HE-500 over-ear headphones, and these T-PEOS H-200s.  Worth a look, in my opinion.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #14,189 of 16,931

A little old to respond to this quote of last December, but prompted by the fact that a review of another T-PEOS 200, the T-PEOS D200R, has been posted, and the fact that I have and LOVE the T-PEOS H-200 (3-way hybrid), I thought I'd post this in hopes of prompting a review of the T-PEOS H-200.  Like the AKG K3003i IEM, it has a dynamic bass driver and pair of balanced armatures for mid and high frequencies.  It ranges from $250 - $300, though not stocked by amazon.com.

I have only three headphones that simultaneously provide subbass so strong as to be palpable, while providing top-notch transparency and speed.... the AKG K3003is, the HiFiMAN HE-500 over-ear headphones, and these T-PEOS H-200s.  Worth a look, in my opinion.

I have the Altone200, which is T-Peos' newest triple-driver hybrid (1 dynamic + 2 BA) earphone. Best part is that it's only $145 or so currently. Posted some thoughts on it the other day here: http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-review-dunu-dn-2000-fidue-a83-t-peos-altone200-sony-xba-h3-triple-driver-hybrids-compared/ 

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #14,190 of 16,931
I have the Altone200, which is T-Peos' newest triple-driver hybrid (1 dynamic + 2 BA) earphone. Best part is that it's only $145 or so currently. Posted some thoughts on it the other day here: http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-review-dunu-dn-2000-fidue-a83-t-peos-altone200-sony-xba-h3-triple-driver-hybrids-compared/ 

"With clarity and detail resolution on par with the $1300 K3003, the Altone200 is going to be a reference point for future generations of triple-driver hybrids."

Quite the phone the altones are. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back