Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #1,051 of 16,931

Quote:
(3A2) Head-Direct RE2

headdirectre2400x300.jpg

Microphonics (2/5) Rather poor and cannot be worn over-the-ear well.
Comfort (2.5/5) – cannot be worn over-the-ear;
Cons: cannot be worn over the ear

..... But I wear my RE2 over my ear all the time...

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #1,052 of 16,931

Quote:
Would the IE8, UM3X, or W3 give me a sound like my HD-650s? I think UM3X is more of a monitor, so the bass would probably be lacking for my tastes in rock and electronica.

IE8 sound closest to the HD-650, if you like that kinda sound.  With the right amp they're great, but otherwise with everything else they weren't my cup of tea.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,054 of 16,931
Quote:
Indeed - great news this mammoth epic has front page status.

If I can make a suggestion, I'd like to see the whole enterprise formatted in a way that allows users to post comments against each iem, with their own impressions or feedback.

Is that possible?

I absolutely don't see how that would be possible under the current system. If this thread was contained off-site, there's quite a lot of streamlining ideas that could be implemented. A separate discussion area for each earphone would definitely be one of them. Forum mechanics are very limited, however, so the best I could do would be to link to an active appreciation or review thread for each set.

Quote:
Joker's threads are always the first pages I navigate on head-fi to see if he has any new reviews. Without a doubt, he ensures to cram as much information into every post he is able, and puts just as much dedication into a $2 dollar IEM than he does a $200 IEM.  Without question, they have been very vital in assisting my future decisions on headphone purchases. I actually bookmark both of Joker's in-ear/portable comparison threads, as I find all of his detailed reviews extremely informative. Quite frankly, I'm VERY surprised that it took 115 IEM reviews (not including the portables thread) before head-fi considered giving him the recognition that he deserves by the home page presentation, and believe that he is still due credit. Joker, thank you for all of the work and effort you put towards your reviews, and I look forward to reading them for many headphones to come.

Thanks, appreciate that 
beerchug.gif
. To be honest I do put more care into reviewing higher-end gear but only because the sound signature is usually more complex and the flaws take longer to find. There are exceptions of course (e.g. Phiaton PS200).

Quote:
Would the IE8, UM3X, or W3 give me a sound like my HD-650s? I think UM3X is more of a monitor, so the bass would probably be lacking for my tastes in rock and electronica.

I don't own the HD650 and have only heard it a couple of times in the past. I think you can definitely cross the W3 off that list - too energetic and aggressive. I didn't really think the HD650 was bassy so the UM3X should have enough bass for you; however, I agree with HPA - the IE8 would be my choice out of the three. That said, perhaps someone who actually owns the HD650 can give more specifics.

Quote:
..... But I wear my RE2 over my ear all the time...

Sorry, as you understand I can only relate my own experience. I had a lot of trouble keeping the RE2 cord seated behind my ears due to the long stems (without cable guides). I had a rev.1 RE2 and I think head-direct has  changed the cable since but I've not tried the newer one.

Quote:
I really preffer the M-audio IE30. It offers me the best quality I ever had (for this price, of course)

That's a re-branded UE Super.Fi 5 Pro. Review coming... eventually.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #1,055 of 16,931
I think HD650 is way better than IE8. The bass on HD650 is tighter and the treble is of much better quality. HD650 also sounds bigger and has a more realistic imaging.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #1,056 of 16,931
Quote:

Out of all the IEMs I've heard so far, I think Shure SE535 sounds closest to HD650. Actually, I think that they are both on about the same level in sound quality. IE8, UM3X and W3 are all a step below. Just my opinion of course.

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #1,057 of 16,931
i think adding (and testing) phonak audeo pfe012 perfect bass for $89.00 to the Tier 2C would be good idea. they are 40$ cheaper than standard pfe112 and you can buy always additional grey or black filters to turn them into pfe112...

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #1,058 of 16,931
Thanks. It may be an opinion, but it sure is a good direction to start researching. I would've NEVER considered the Shure line (first experience was the e2c and I had to return it in a few hours because I hated that sound quality.

Quote:

Out of all the IEMs I've heard so far, I think Shure SE535 sounds closest to HD650. Actually, I think that they are both on about the same level in sound quality. IE8, UM3X and W3 are all a step below. Just my opinion of course.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #1,061 of 16,931
Quote:
So I guess that's a big fat no on reviewing the Maxell Juicy Tunes, eh?

Can't be seen reviewing an IEM with an absurd name like "Juicy Tunes" now that you've hit the big time. 
smile.gif

It's not really an issue of nomenclature - simply one of time. I'm not sorting through my backlog as fast as I should be so buying more phones now would just stress me more. Don't really care if they were called 'AKG Audiophile's Delight' instead of 'Maxell Juicy Tunes' (well.. maybe a little).

Quote:
A review of this size deserves a forum on its own. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #1,062 of 16,931
I agree with HPA that the IE8 is closest to the HD650 in terms of sound. But I also agree with Pianist, that the HD650 is much better. I don't like comparing full-size headphones against iems though.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #1,063 of 16,931
Updated some of the more outdated prices and added a new column to the chart to signify the availability of an iPhone version of a particular earphone. Not sure if it's clear enough - definitely open to suggestions for improvement.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #1,064 of 16,931
If head-f blogs are still available, then:

1) You may use 1st post as table of contents (with summary, conclusions, etc.) pointing to the blog records, individual for for each IEM.
2) There in the blog comments people may discuss specific model.

Quote:
I absolutely don't see how that would be possible under the current system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back