Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 22, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #1,021 of 16,931
looks like the Miles Davis Tribute is quite a basshead IEM.

Joker, do you feel if your taste in IEMs has changed at all throughout all these reviews?

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #1,022 of 16,931

Quote:
looks like the Miles Davis Tribute is quite a basshead IEM.

Joker, do you feel if your taste in IEMs has changed at all throughout all these reviews?

Yup Miles Davis has quite the satisfying amount of bass. Though when i compare to the e-Q7 the latter is more 'I don't miss a beat' but its bass and beat sounds more unrefined compared to MDs while MD in comparison drops a lil accuracy in the beats to usher in refining.

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,024 of 16,931
|Joker|,

A suggestion for your IEM summary table in Post #8: How about adding a column, asterisk, or some other indication for IEMs that have the iPhone compatibility/mic/remote option? That would provide a quick, relatively up-to-date reference to answer the frequent questions that come up on that subject.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,025 of 16,931
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  Why make things easier for crApple users?

Quote:
|Joker|,

A suggestion for your IEM summary table in Post #8: How about adding a column, asterisk, or some other indication for IEMs that have the iPhone compatibility/mic/remote option? That would provide a quick, relatively up-to-date reference to answer the frequent questions that come up on that subject.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,026 of 16,931
Haha
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #1,027 of 16,931
Quote:
hi bro joker...
dont you plan on journeying to custom iems?
hehhee...

someday...you will, i know!
and on that day...you will be reviewing more on driver's count and numbers of bores, crossovers...etc.and the mold, the color...etc... hahaha.

i am happy with your work joker.
you bring joy to my ears!

Not strictly for review purposes - customs are too costly to go through the way I've been doing with universals. However, it's very tempting and a definite goal to clear up the review backlog, sell 95% of my earphones and headphones, and see what I can do with that. My custom of choice would probably be a Fitear 333 assuming I can find one to re-mold.

Quote:
I give the RE252 a score of 86/10 for sound and all the other iems in the universe 10 or less.

Joker - do you have a day job? Or do you lie in a padded room writhing under a straight-jacket of iem cables?

Day job - yes. Straight-jacket of IEM cables - also yes. I've been forced to stop using my 2nd monitor because it's turned into a full-time headphone rack and 5 of the 6 drawers in my desk are filled with earphones and related junk.

Quote:

Taste - probably not. What has changed is my perception of the capabilities of in-ears. I used to think that each 'desirable' property carried its own set of sacrifices but I've heard so many high-end earphones now that it's getting harder and harder to make distinctions like that. I definitely still agree that no one earphone will be all things to all people but with the newest crop of earphones it's getting really difficult to find straight-up weaknesses. I think this was true a couple of years ago for the 3-4 top-tiers that were around but now it is true for many earphones in the $100-200 (and sometimes even $60-100 range). I can foresee the lines between high-end and mid-range (non-mainstream) earphones getting more and more blurry and submit that it all started with the RE0. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm having an easier time imagining my perfect IEM (without a ridiculous price tag) as a reality.

Quote:
|Joker|,

Good idea now that concrete's headset thread is no longer being updated - I'll find some way of marking earphones that have a mic'd version. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #1,028 of 16,931
Yeah, it is very surprising how many good earphones there are these days.  A couple years ago it really was cut and dry.  You had top tier, and then you had most everything else.  Now, pssssh, half the new stuff popping up is actually very decent at the least.  it was kind of funny when I was running through piles of earphones myself.  I started off cheap like everyone else and then worked up to just a couple mid level products.  Then it was straight to top tier and top tier was absolutely top tier.  There wasn't really any comparison to what mid level was back then.  Now mid level is also pretty much top tier.  You can spend $150 to $200 and get the near the same level of product as the best universal you can buy.  The differences are more so put into build quality and manufacturing refinement than sound.  Something like the IE8 or SE530/535 is not only good sounding but also refined and elegant physically and not just the earphone but the case, wiring, everything.  The extra cost seems to transition into craftsmanship rather than sound simply because everyone can now just buy the same drivers and make a very similar earphone.  Every manufacturer has their own gearing and most of what you're doing by the time you get to $200 is not trying to find a better sounding product but rather finding a different sounding product that fits your personal taste.  It doesn't really get better.  It just gets different.  Outside of manufacturing quality, fit and finish, accessories, etc. you're really not getting better sound, just different sound.  Now the build quality, accessories, etc. do play important roles for certain people.  For some physical quality is as important as sound quality, and you do have to pay that little extra for that.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #1,029 of 16,931
i think the perfect mindframe is a combination of joker/mwv2/benny71

modesty
wisdom
humor

the 3 qualities that lead to the palace of enlightment .

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,030 of 16,931
I figured the Fitear would be something you would want to get considering your liking of the CK10 :p

The lower cost for high quality has been getting better compared to the last couple years which is a good thing for us consumers. When I started the ER6i was pretty much the earphone to get at a budget of under $100 and now look at how crowded that price range is now. However I'm fairly happy at the "mid-fi" level of universal earphones and I don't feel like I'm giving up that much compared to the more expensive models.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #1,032 of 16,931
[size=10pt]So for the last few days I was looking for a certain type of paint and having a hard time finding it so in between hardware stores I stopped by Wal-Mart, Kmart and Big Lots for the heck of it.[/size]

[size=10pt]Big Lots! I got the Coby Jammers which are quite enjoyable for $5. [/size]

[size=10pt]Wal-Mart had these Maxell's called "Crystal Ear Buds" with these horrible, gaudy looking fake crystals on the back of them...[/size]

[size=10pt]Well, the supposedly special crystallized driver intrigued me so I plunked down the $20 for them and off I went. I figured if I really liked them I'd pull off the crystal or paint it or reshape it or something... Now I let these things burn in for quite some time thinking that if they were hard diaphragms they'd take a while. They were pretty bad. All highs and upper mids and hardly any lows at all. So I took them back. [/size]

[size=10pt]Then I went to Kmart and saw some more interesting looking Maxell’s. They were kind of flat like the driver was placed in there sideways. So I paid $10 for these and without any break in what-so-ever they sounded great. Nice, powerful, non-boomy lows, clear mids and extended highs. After break in they just got better. These had the ridiculous moniker of "Maxell Juicy Tunes." [/size]

[size=10pt]You should try them. I've heard several of the buds in your $0-$15 category and these beat out most of the ones I've heard.[/size]

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #1,033 of 16,931
@olimoronio
You're truly on the level of hardcore maxell fanboy now
redface.gif
 your zeal alone make me consider on importing dhp-ii (they don't sell any here).

Also you may be interested in their high end iem CN-N40, fitted with 13mm driver and cost only $54 for a top-end model, can be found here http://www.seyo-shop.com/product.php?productid=15196&cat=15120&page=1

I'm kinda interested and it got generally great review on amazon.jp too

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #1,034 of 16,931
[size=10pt]Haha... I knew someone was going to say something like that. I even considered cracking a joke about it myself but forgot. Actually, I hated the higher-end Maxell's and the Juicy Tunes were the only interesting looking IEM's at Kmart. I will say that the Juicy Tunes sound quite a bit better than the Coby Jammers which I liked. I'm really no fanboy of anything except the DHP ii's themselves.[/size]

[size=10pt]I might try the CN-N40  as long as there is a good return policy.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back