Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #1,081 of 16,931
Well it's a good thing around $100 is their current going price if you buy a refurbished unit. I think I remember seeing them around $200 the last time I was at J&R for another earphone purchase and I don't think I would pay that much for them. They do have a nice cable and sound nice but not $200 nice and well they don't suit me and I already have enough earphones in my possession that don't suit me well.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #1,082 of 16,931
So in the sub $100 market if one could pick would the choice be HJE900 or IE7?  Do they have the Sennheiser 'veil'?  Reports seem to indicate clarity on these.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #1,083 of 16,931
Reading through even more threads and rawrster's review of the DBA-02, I think that might be my thing too? I see in Anaxilus' sig, he owns both as well, what do you think makes them different or similar?
The HJE900's are not my cup of tea, I think, knowing only what I am reading from other's opinions.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #1,084 of 16,931
I think I'd pick up the HJE900 over the IE7. I don't have the HJE900 to compare right now however. The IE7 doesn't really do anything horrible but it doesn't sound as engaging to me as the HJE900. I'd probably pick the HJE900 for the isolation factor as well since the IE7 isn't that great and the HJE900 isn't the best either but it's better at least. I also like a straight connector better.

As for the question about veil I don't think it's horrible but I haven't directly compared it to anything in my possession with decent clarity and the fact that I've only been using them in 15 minute or so sessions. I haven't really noticed much of a veil so it can't be too bad.

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #1,085 of 16,931
Quote:
There really aren't that many reviews on the IE7. There was a long appreciation thread somewhere but not much reviews on the IE7. I personally feel that they have been overlooked (although not as much as the IE6) by the IE8. Although I do blame Sennheiser partly for that since they released all three models around the same time iirc.

I think the IE7 is sufficiently different from the IE8 to appeal to those with a different taste. The IE6, however, has been rightly overlooked IMO. I expected it to be a de-tuned version of the IE8 sound but it sounds more like a CX-series Sennheiser than the IE7 or IE8. No way they are worth more than $70-80, even with comfort and looks factored in (I think they are the most comfortable of the IE earphones). The $140 that Sennheiser's been asking for them up until a few months ago is ridiculous. 

Quote:
I don't think the IE7s have been given a  proper review yet, but they are on Joker's upcoming list so you can stay tuned for that. I personally think the IE7 is a nice safe bet as long as you pay <100$.

Agreed, for <$100 they are a good choice as long as that's the sort of sound you're after. Those who like the more balanced but still dynamic-sounding budget sets (PL30, M1, etc) will find a good upgrade with the IE7 but for some people the sound will be neither here nor there.

Quote:
So in the sub $100 market if one could pick would the choice be HJE900 or IE7?  Do they have the Sennheiser 'veil'?  Reports seem to indicate clarity on these.

From a technical standpoint I don't think either has the upper hand but preference-wise I'll take the HJE900 any day. I agree with rawrster that the IE7 really isn't very exciting although it does many things right. I think I'd rather have an earphone that does a couple of things so well that it draws me in than have one that has fewer flaws but doesn't really get my pulse up one way or another. Otherwise I'd have picked up an SM3 of my own by now. 

Oh and there's no veil compared to the IE8 and IE6, partly because there's much less bass. They are still laid-back though so they won't have the vocal clarity if your DBAs.

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #1,086 of 16,931

Quote:
From a technical standpoint I don't think either has the upper hand but preference-wise I'll take the HJE900 any day. I agree with rawrster that the IE7 really isn't very exciting although it does many things right. I think I'd rather have an earphone that does a couple of things so well that it draws me in than have one that has fewer flaws but doesn't really get my pulse up one way or another. Otherwise I'd have picked up an SM3 of my own by now. 

x2

I can definitely relate to that perspective.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #1,087 of 16,931
joker, do you know of any over the ear IEMs with a sound signature similar to the hje900? Is the westone 3 the only one that comes close? And are there any other over the ear designs with exceptional value you know of, besides the M6 and the eterna? And discounting the custom 3 due to build quality issues.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #1,089 of 16,931
Quote:
joker, do you know of any over the ear IEMs with a sound signature similar to the hje900? Is the westone 3 the only one that comes close? And are there any other over the ear designs with exceptional value you know of, besides the M6 and the eterna? And discounting the custom 3 due to build quality issues.

I don't think the Westone 3 is very similar to the HJE900 other than in the very general sense of being slightly v-shaped. It also comes with its own share of fit issues. Don't get me wrong - it's a very good earphone. I just wouldn't bill it as a logical HJE900 upgrade. I honestly can't think of anything with the HJE900 signature and an over-the-ear form factor that wouldn't also be a downgrade.

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #1,090 of 16,931
Thank you, ljokerl!

I'm from Germany - so excuse for my bad english... ^^
I browsed all the internet and looked for my first in-ear monitors.
For this I am a real bloody beginner concerning this matter.
But for that I am a music lovin' freak I already wanted a real good in-ear from beginning.
At the same time I didn't want to become poor and so I searched and searched for an objective review compassing a big range of in-ears.

Well... what should I say.. I found it! Thank you!

I fell in love with the Head-Direct RE0 and ordered them in... Great Britain! (AmpCity)
I'll post here when I've got and tested them.
I'm full of anticipation!

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #1,091 of 16,931
Quote:
Well... what should I say.. I found it! Thank you!

I fell in love with the Head-Direct RE0 and ordered them in... Great Britain! (AmpCity)
I'll post here when I've got and tested them.
I'm full of anticipation!

Thanks and congratulations on your purchase. Remember to read the in-ear wiki if these are your first proper in-ears and enjoy!

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #1,092 of 16,931
What do you guys recommend? I'm looking for:

1) Clean sound, no sibilance and good bass (note: I have the Etyomotic ER-6i and decided I do not like the sound, after trying my new SoundMAGIC PL50s).  I like a wide soundstage with good separation.
2) Good fit.  I like to wear my IEMs over the ear
3) Easily driven.  I'm looking at my laptop and an iPod as primary sources.  I may spring for a NuForce uDAC
4) Under $150

Any IEMs that fit that criteria? I like my PL50s but I feel the soundstage isn't wide enough and the bass isn't there.  They definitely sound clean, though, and don't need an amp.  The Fischer Audio Silver Bullets look like they might be fit this criteria.  Again, I do NOT like the sound of Etymotic ER-6i (very, very warm).

And I don't know the difference between the RE0 and the PL50; I don't think the difference (from what I've read) is great enough to warrant the purchase of the RE0.  

Let me know!

This site may have started an expensive habit for me...I'm looking at the Audio Technica M50 even though I have Senn HD590 (I may sell these if I like the M50s).

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,093 of 16,931
What about a used Triple.fi, Clean Sound, very good sound stage and a good bass!

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #1,094 of 16,931

Quote:
What do you guys recommend? I'm looking for:

1) Clean sound, no sibilance and good bass (note: I have the Etyomotic ER-6i and decided I do not like the sound, after trying my new SoundMAGIC PL50s).  I like a wide soundstage with good separation.
2) Good fit.  I like to wear my IEMs over the ear
3) Easily driven.  I'm looking at my laptop and an iPod as primary sources.  I may spring for a NuForce uDAC
4) Under $150

Any IEMs that fit that criteria? I like my PL50s but I feel the soundstage isn't wide enough and the bass isn't there.  They definitely sound clean, though, and don't need an amp.  The Fischer Audio Silver Bullets look like they might be fit this criteria.  Again, I do NOT like the sound of Etymotic ER-6i (very, very warm).

And I don't know the difference between the RE0 and the PL50; I don't think the difference (from what I've read) is great enough to warrant the purchase of the RE0.  

Let me know!

This site may have started an expensive habit for me...I'm looking at the Audio Technica M50 even though I have Senn HD590 (I may sell these if I like the M50s).

I don't know what to tell you. I hope that you're mixing up what warm means - it refers to an elevated level of midbass. Because if in fact the er-6i is too warm for your tastes...you're out of luck buddy. T he er-6i is pretty much the coldest, least warm IEM on the market and there is nothing out there with less bass.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #1,095 of 16,931
I think you're right.  I guess I have my terms mixed up.  I just know that I do not like the sound of the ER-6i.

I like a bit of bass (jazz and hip hop, I also like vocals/acapella stuff).  The PL50 don't have enough bass but I do love how they sound.

My friend has the UE Triple.fi 10 and I love how they sound.  He got them for half price because he knew someone that worked at the company.  person.

Maybe I should just keep the PL50 for portable listening (walking around, working out) and get the Audio Technica M50? I will be sitting down mostly, working on a laptop and listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back