Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 7, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #1,096 of 16,931
Also an option. Generally, fullsize headphones are superior to similarly priced IEMs. And by a fair margin. So, as a rule, if you're able to use a fullsize headphone, you may as well do so. IEMs are a compromise, so unless you need to take advantage of their portability (or just find them more comfortable) there's no need to to spend money on IEMs.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #1,098 of 16,931

Quote:
^ Is that also true for the top end customs?

Don't know as I don't have any top end customs. But it certainly stands to reason, especially when it comes to aspects like soundstage. Here's a review written comparing the JH13 customs to good fullsize cans. The gist was that while they're great IEMs, they can't compete with real fullsize headphones

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #1,099 of 16,931

Quote:
My friend has the UE Triple.fi 10 and I love how they sound.  He got them for half price because he knew someone that worked at the company.  person.

Well, he's your friend!?
Maybe it works a second time?!
wink.gif

Quote:
Thanks and congratulations on your purchase. Remember to read the in-ear wiki if these are your first proper in-ears and enjoy!

Thanks for the next hint!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've done so although I already knew about most things by reading in two bulletin boards.
But it's nice to find these informations in a compact form.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #1,100 of 16,931

Thanks for the link. While I was expecting such an answer, I can't help but feel a little down as I do have a preference for IEMs for portability. 
In terms of soundstage however, the intimate soundstage of IEMs have grown on me and I don't fuss over it anymore.
Quote:
The gist was that while they're great IEMs, they can't compete with real fullsize headphones

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #1,101 of 16,931

Quote:
Also an option. Generally, fullsize headphones are superior to similarly priced IEMs. And by a fair margin. So, as a rule, if you're able to use a fullsize headphone, you may as well do so. IEMs are a compromise, so unless you need to take advantage of their portability (or just find them more comfortable) there's no need to to spend money on IEMs.

Damnit.  Now, I have to decide between the AT-M50 and the Shure SHR840.  I've read a couple comparisons on here and there wasn't a clear consensus as to which is "better."

Thanks for the reply.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #1,102 of 16,931
I've listened to many earphones and headphones and imo they are hard to compare and they use different setups. An earphone is simple to use. You plug it into your dap (or if you have an amp) and it sounds great. I do the same with a decent headphone and it might be underpowered. Typically headphone setups are a dac and amp to go along with that headphone. It just depends on what kind of use they will be getting.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #1,103 of 16,931

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you. I hope that you're mixing up what warm means - it refers to an elevated level of midbass. Because if in fact the er-6i is too warm for your tastes...you're out of luck buddy. T he er-6i is pretty much the coldest, least warm IEM on the market and there is nothing out there with less bass.

Yeah, I was also damn surprised by even the thought of ER6i (or anything from Etymotic for the matter) to be "warm". I had Etys for few months long ago and while I appreciated phenomenal isolation, clarity and detail in highs resultant overall clinical, cold, congested and thin sound turned me off.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #1,104 of 16,931
Quote:
What do you guys recommend? I'm looking for:

1) Clean sound, no sibilance and good bass (note: I have the Etyomotic ER-6i and decided I do not like the sound, after trying my new SoundMAGIC PL50s).  I like a wide soundstage with good separation.
2) Good fit.  I like to wear my IEMs over the ear
3) Easily driven.  I'm looking at my laptop and an iPod as primary sources.  I may spring for a NuForce uDAC
4) Under $150

Any IEMs that fit that criteria? I like my PL50s but I feel the soundstage isn't wide enough and the bass isn't there.  They definitely sound clean, though, and don't need an amp.  The Fischer Audio Silver Bullets look like they might be fit this criteria.  Again, I do NOT like the sound of Etymotic ER-6i (very, very warm).

And I don't know the difference between the RE0 and the PL50; I don't think the difference (from what I've read) is great enough to warrant the purchase of the RE0.  

Let me know!

This site may have started an expensive habit for me...I'm looking at the Audio Technica M50 even though I have Senn HD590 (I may sell these if I like the M50s).

I think you need to decide if you're willing to sacrifice the portability of an IEM for a full-size headphone (as that's what the M50 is) before you start looking because comparing IEMs to headphones gets confusing real quick. The PL50 and Er6i are good entry-level sets but they really don't compete with higher-end gear. Based on your requirements I can recommend that you look into the Klipsch Custom 3. It's an earphone that doesn't really do much wrong and has dropped precipitously in price over the past year. The cable is pretty terrible but unless you're jogging with them it probably won't be a problem.

Quote:

I don't think that's true at all. Aside from the obvious differences in presentation and impact (an IEM really can't move all that much air) there is nothing to dictate that an IEM has to be worse than a similarly-priced headphone. There are bang/buck winners and bang/buck losers in both categories and headphones get very expensive very quick (people seem to forget about the price of the dac/amp/cables/etc when comparing cans to IEMs). In addition, a headphone doesn't necessarily have a more spacious presentation than an IEM. The HD25 is a good example - next to a high-end in-ear it sounds very claustrophobic and a little congested. As an aside, I've actually not heard a headphone with the instrumental separation of the Westone UM3X - most don't even come close. Of course one can pick and choose many examples where a particular headphone will beat a particular IEM in a particular trait (or vice versa) but as a general rule it's not fair to say that headphones are better by a margin. Different - yes.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #1,105 of 16,931

Quote:
I don't think that's true at all. Aside from the obvious differences in presentation and impact (an IEM really can't move all that much air) there is nothing to dictate that an IEM has to be worse than a similarly-priced headphone. There are bang/buck winners and bang/buck losers in both categories and headphones get very expensive very quick (people seem to forget about the price of the dac/amp/cables/etc when comparing cans to IEMs). In addition, a headphone doesn't necessarily have a more spacious presentation than an IEM. The HD25 is a good example - next to a high-end in-ear it sounds very claustrophobic and a little congested. As an aside, I've actually not heard a headphone with the instrumental separation of the Westone UM3X - most don't even come close. Of course one can pick and choose many examples where a particular headphone will beat a particular IEM in a particular trait (or vice versa) but as a general rule it's not fair to say that headphones are better by a margin. Different - yes.

++ on this. I agree completely. Moreover, I think that not only can IEMs and headphones in the same price range be comparable is sound quality, but there are IEMs out there that beat full sized headphones costing two times or more IMO. One example is RE0 beating out the AKG K271 in overall sound quality, even though the AKGs cost about twice as much and are very good cans in their price range.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #1,106 of 16,931
My RE-ZERO certainly has better separation and clarity compared to my HD 595, though the Senn is wider, warmer and more organic. Considering that the RE-ZERO cost ~£75 and the 595 cost ~£120 for similar (though different tonally) levels of quality, I'd say that the 595 is overpriced (true) and that the ZERO is an astoudingly good deal (also true). Possibly these are exceptions rather than the rule, but I think that at least sub $200, or anywhere where HiFiMAN/Head-Direct are on the prowl, the value line is pretty even between cans and IEMs.

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #1,107 of 16,931
I was looking at the RE0 but not sure what they can offer over the PL50 (both unamped).  I might recommend the RE0 or Fischer Audio SB to my brother, who is looking for a pair.

I'd love to have a pair of the Westone UM3X or EarSonic SM3.

If I can get the Triple.fi 10, I will.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #1,108 of 16,931

Quote:
I was looking at the RE0 but not sure what they can offer over the PL50 (both unamped).  I might recommend the RE0 or Fischer Audio SB to my brother, who is looking for a pair.

I'd love to have a pair of the Westone UM3X or EarSonic SM3.

If I can get the Triple.fi 10, I will.

I think RE0 sounds better than Triple.fi - more balanced and coherent. I also prefer RE0 over UM3X. The SM3 and SE530/535 are probably the only universal IEMs which I would consider a true upgrade from RE0.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #1,109 of 16,931

Quote:
I think RE0 sounds better than Triple.fi - more balanced and coherent. I also prefer RE0 over UM3X. The SM3 and SE530/535 are probably the only universal IEMs which I would consider a true upgrade from RE0.

I was going to say that those are some...bold words...but that would be too cheesy (look, I did!).

RE0 are THAT good? I keep hearing that the bass is lacking with the RE0.  Now, I'm curious what the difference is between them and the PL50.

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #1,110 of 16,931
Well Pianist does have some real high praise for the RE0 although I will say that when I had both the TF10 and the RE0 together the RE0 was no slouch. I liked the RE0 better but I think the TF10 is a tiny bit better but not by much and definitely not what the price difference suggests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back