Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #3,032 of 4,841
Quote:
How strange. The 8.A doesn't stand out in bass extension or texture? Or imaging? JH13FP Not good with treble extension or soundstage? Based on those two I apparently hear things very differently than that person. Which is interesting because they also use the Anedio D2 just like me.

8.a stands out in bass extension. I rated them almost identical as all my other CIEMs, the thing is all my iems are bass beasts except jh13. texture is fair to my ears. It's a bit boomy and the decay is just too slow that didn't integrate well with the rest of the spectrum. Imaging is fair, it has very good treble extension, but it's lacking upper mid/lower treble, big time (to my ears). Everything is smoothen which didn't provide the precise and pin point imaging for me. But again like you said, it could be a mean one (although I am hearing most of the things I heard from joe's review).

JH13 FP I am just being 100% honest, the treble extension just doesn't stand out too much for me, imaging is a bit dull compared to SE5,  NT6 or 1+2. It's a big improvement over the old JH16 in terms of detail, soundstage depth, mid density and overal balance. But in terms of micro details, it's not on par with SE5 or NT6. The resolution and extension are improved instantly when I switch to SE5/NT6 from JH13. I might have made the scale a bit too big. This is only judging by my ears, I can only describe one earphone's treble extension in relationship with the rest of the spectrum. JH13/16 has a slightly lifted lower/mid treble region which might distort the upper treble presentation. But I can't raise the volume just to hear that part before mid and bass blow my ear off. So treble extension part is more of how easily I can hear the extension rather than whether the tweeters produce frequency that is extended well enough. Just my two cents. Actually I preferred JH16 FP even more, since JH13 sounds a bit hollow in mid/upper bass region making some songs lose their weight/body, JH16 FP sounds more complete and natural to my ears.  The bass control is top class.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #3,033 of 4,841
Quote:
This is by far one of the most amazing reshells I've seen. I really like how design is somehow obvious yet though-through and out-of-the-box. Congratz! I love it!

It is up there with the best I have seen simply because of what it is.

Quote:
Joe :wink: More data to collect if you need any ;p you might have to click on it. 

The review is 10000 words in Chinese...I don't think I want/need to translate it 
tongue_smile.gif

Again, this chart only speaks how I found on these IEMs.

Thanks for sharing the chart and the cool post card :wink:

Quote:
Well, I got new impressions made for my left ear and will be sending them back to UE, along with my monitors. Not sure if they're gonna remake it or adjust the current one based off of the new impressions. All I can do is pray for the best xD

Best of luck!

Quote:
Quote:
How strange. The 8.A doesn't stand out in bass extension or texture? Or imaging? JH13FP Not good with treble extension or soundstage? Based on those two I apparently hear things very differently than that person. Which is interesting because they also use the Anedio D2 just like me.

8.a stands out in bass extension. I rated them almost identical as all my other CIEMs, the thing is all my iems are bass beasts except jh13. texture is fair to my ears. It's a bit boomy and the decay is just too slow that didn't integrate well with the rest of the spectrum. Imaging is fair, it has very good treble extension, but it's lacking upper mid/lower treble, big time (to my ears). Everything is smoothen which didn't provide the precise and pin point imaging for me. But again like you said, it could be a mean one (although I am hearing most of the things I heard from joe's review).

JH13 FP I am just being 100% honest, the treble extension just doesn't stand out too much for me, imaging is a bit dull compared to SE5,  NT6 or 1+2. It's a big improvement over the old JH16 in terms of detail, soundstage depth, mid density and overal balance. But in terms of micro details, it's not on par with SE5 or NT6. The resolution and extension are improved instantly when I switch to SE5/NT6 from JH13. I might have made the scale a bit too big. This is only judging by my ears, I can only describe one earphone's treble extension in relationship with the rest of the spectrum. JH13/16 has a slightly lifted lower/mid treble region which might distort the upper treble presentation. But I can't raise the volume just to hear that part before mid and bass blow my ear off. So treble extension part is more of how easily I can hear the extension rather than whether the tweeters produce frequency that is extended well enough. Just my two cents. Actually I preferred JH16 FP even more, since JH13 sounds a bit hollow in mid/upper bass region making some songs lose their weight/body, JH16 FP sounds more complete and natural to my ears.  The bass control is top class.

I do hear some things differently as well, and speaking of bass extension, I have it very differently with test tones (I listen in 1 Hz increments starting at 50 Hz down to 10).  The i9pro is the winner for me as it is clearly audible at 12 Hz, which is lower than the next three that tie at 14 Hz, which are the JH16, NT-6, and NT-6 pro.  The SE5 goes down to 18 Hz for me, but the important aspects for me are how the bass is handled, how clean and articulated it is, and how much it can rumble when necessary.  Here is a sneak peek at the bass quality and note sustaining ability (rumble) ratings of some of my CIEMs, which play into my overall scores. I value the combination of these two qualities and would hold a CIEM in higher regard if it can both maintain control and sustain notes close to 20 Hz than something that is sloppy but can reproduce 20 Hz and below with no problem.

Regardless, I sincerely appreciate your input as well that from project86.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #3,034 of 4,841
It is up there with the best I have seen simply because of what it is.

Thanks for sharing the chart and the cool post card :wink:

Best of luck!

I do hear some things differently as well, and speaking of bass extension, I have it very differently with test tones (I listen in 1 Hz increments starting at 50 Hz down to 10).  The i9pro is the winner for me as it is clearly audible at 12 Hz, which is lower than the next three that tie at 14 Hz, which are the JH16, NT-6, and NT-6 pro.  The SE5 goes down to 18 Hz for me, but the important aspects for me are how the bass is handled, how clean and articulated it is, and how much it can rumble when necessary.  Here is a sneak peek at the bass quality and note sustaining ability (rumble) ratings of some of my CIEMs, which play into my overall scores. I value the combination of these two qualities and would hold a CIEM in higher regard if it can both maintain control and sustain notes close to 20 Hz than something that is sloppy but can reproduce 20 Hz and below with no problem.

Regardless, I sincerely appreciate your input as well that from project86.

Wow thanks joe~ do you mind share that bass test tone? I only have it till 20 Hz for test (so I do it with songs too). And like you said, how the ciems reproduce the note is important for me~ and like I said about the treble, I also hear the combination of extension control, sustain and presence too compared to the rest of spectrum. Some bass rumbles a lot but they don't do it for me in terms of attack, decay, air and control. And my 2 two nt6 even have difference bass presence which is surprised to me too that CIEM varies this much.

Jh16 FP really surprised me~

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #3,036 of 4,841
Quote:
Tupac, great chart man. I do enjoyed it a lot. Also I have to say you made me interested in EM6, did't know they were that good.

Yeah they really stand out in terms of dynamic, bass texture and treble extension. I actually mentioned in the review that EM6 sounds like a SE5 on steriod (i might have told you this). But it's not as neutral as SE5.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #3,037 of 4,841
Well if my ears are small for SE5 I might go for EM6 then since they are in France/Europe, it will be easy too. I do appreciated that chart really. Maybe a little trip to their factory/lab in France and make things quicker 
biggrin.gif
. I also wish Joe can get his hands on EM6 too. The way he described EM3 Pro and EM4 made me understand they are not for me but EM6 seems like a magical beast.

Btw, we chaps are so darn lucky. Look at all the people who contributes in here and help us. Joe, Tupac and all others. I feel happy in this place 
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #3,038 of 4,841
Tupac, maybe you should start a thread for EM6, there is nothing informative about them (well, almost nothing) on Head-Fi. I believe you can do some things. I like your impressions and you are one of the few people who actually have them. Could be a nice idea.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #3,039 of 4,841
Quote:
Tupac, maybe you should start a thread for EM6, there is nothing informative about them (well, almost nothing) on Head-Fi. I believe you can do some things. I like your impressions and you are one of the few people who actually have them. Could be a nice idea.

That's ok. :wink: We can discuss EM6 in EM4 thread or here. But to be warned, I wrote the disadvantage of EM6 in the chinese review that listening to EM6 is like eating cheese cake. If it fits your taste you would love it! but you don't want to eat it too much without taking a break:wink: If you get what I mean. EM6 sounds very organic, ,liquid and full with very detailed upper treble. It sounds amazing with the songs that you can bump your head with:wink:. For classical or Jazz, I would suggest something else like NT6.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #3,040 of 4,841
I was thinking about SE 5-Way, UM Miracle, and even something like Cosmic Ears BA4, but I guess I'll stick with my UM Merlin.
Here's a funny thing. I was never a basshead before. In fact, I was more of an Etymotic guy. Now I just can't get enough of this amazing (sub) bass.
I think it's not really a basshead's CIEM. I think it made me a basshead. I'll have to get an Audeze LCD-2 soon.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3,041 of 4,841
Quote:
I was thinking about SE 5-Way, UM Miracle, and even something like Cosmic Ears BA4, but I guess I'll stick with my UM Merlin.
Here's a funny thing. I was never a basshead before. In fact, I was more of an Etymotic guy. Now I just can't get enough of this amazing (sub) bass.
I think it's not really a basshead's CIEM. I think it made me a basshead. I'll have to get an Audeze LCD-2 soon.

Good choice about LCD2, or maybe even LCD 3:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back