Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #3,061 of 4,841
First try. Impressions are everything.

Lol, good one! Here is my impression info from the 2nd post in this thread:
Impressions
Notes from my experience: Impressions are critical to avoiding refits. It is important that the audiologist follows the manufacturers directions and the impressions are deep. If you are sending impressions overseas, it may be worth it to you to get 2 sets of impressions done either by different audiologist or by the same audiologist (if they will give you a discount). This will allow you to pick the best and see if there are differences between the two. Typically, acrylic shelled custom IEMs require an open mouth impression while silicone requires a closed mouth, but double check with the company that is making your custom IEMs.

The audiologist you choose should be familiar with taking impressions for customs, not just hearing aids. Many companies recommend opened mouth with a bite block, but regardless, you should be relaxed and not talk when your mold is being made. However, it seems that some audiologists have recommended people open and close their mouth during the impression process. It appears there is no right or wrong way to do it, but I would get an impression the way the custom manufacturer recommends. Detailed info on ear impressions: Earmolds and Hearing Aid Shells: A Tutorial Part 2: Impression-Taking Techniques that Result in Fewer Remakes Things to consider before getting your custom IEM impressions done. The perfect fit.

Quote from JackKontney:
"The problem is that the ear canal changes shape as you move your jaw, so the impression is something of a compromise. That's not as big an issue with pliable earpieces like Sensaphonics soft-gel silicone, which flexes along with the canal to maintain its seal. With a hard material like acrylic, there's a greater chance of losing the seal.

Compounding the problem is the fact that everyone's ear canals are not only shaped differently, but can also behave differently during jaw movement. Some get a little wider, but some get narrower. In fact, it can go both ways for one person left vs right.

This is why you'll find different methodologies among various audiologists and manufacturers."

I will be updating this when I can find the time.

Average_Joe and Project 86 - thanks for the advice re: new impressions. Had them done today.

It was noticeably more painful than last time... I even had a little bleeding from one ear. My ears are also still hurting 10 hours after (?).

Anyhow, the moulds looked good - plenty past the second bend - so it should be worth it.

Ouch! I have had discomfort when I have taken extremely deep self impressions, but never any blood. I hope the CIEMs fit like a glove!

Hi

Out of morbid curiosity I was just wondering how many refits most average people seem to need?   I reckon I'm near the top (lost count!) but was just curious about other people.

Cheers

I have had my fair share of refits even though I follow the manufacturer instructions and use the exact same method every time. While i can't generalize at the moment, it seems like larger companies such as UE, JHA, and UM round the shells a bit more for less issues with a shell being too large.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,062 of 4,841
Any chance of reviewing 1964 ears iems?

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3,063 of 4,841
Quote:
Any chance of reviewing 1964 ears iems?

I have been in contact with Vitaliy since 1964 got its start.  I need time to review what I have and then I will see what can be done.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #3,064 of 4,841
Let's face it, in spite of the very best manufacture, if your impressions aren't accurate, your fit is going to be patchy at best. Which is why you have to go to an audiologist who's done them for CIEM's before if at all possible, or at the very least, one who will do them exactly to the manufacturer's instructions.

I got the run around when I asked audiologists locally if they did them/how much (one wanted to charge me 'a couple of hundred dollars' !!), I suspect many were of the 'Well I've done impressions for hearing aids for 25 yrs and that's the way they're done' school. I took the day off to go to Melbourne & have them done by someone who hadn't done hundreds for CIEM's, but she had done some the previous week, and doing them per the manufacturer's instructions (and me saying 'as deep as possible, well past 2nd bend, etc, etc') was no drama whatsoever.

End result = perfect fit (and one of my ears is very different to the other).

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #3,065 of 4,841
Quote:

I have been in contact with Vitaliy since 1964 got its start.  I need time to review what I have and then I will see what can be done.

ooh can't wait for your review with comparison to others =)
I already paid for a universal fitting V6, figured i'd go down the different unique path lol

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #3,066 of 4,841
I lost my interest in 1964 since they don't provide soft canals with their V6 and don't know why. Other models seems to have soft canal but why V6 not? Apart from that their prices are killing really, must be a wonderful option for many people.

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #3,067 of 4,841
I lost my interest in 1964 since they don't provide soft canals with their V6 and don't know why. Other models seems to have soft canal but why V6 not? Apart from that their prices are killing really, must be a wonderful option for many people.

I can't remember the reason either, but even if their price was affordable compared to most, if their quality wasnt there they wouldnt have made it this far i think :)
I'm curious how their V8 will compare to Heir 8a when it comes out..

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #3,068 of 4,841
Quote:
I can't remember the reason either, but even if their price was affordable compared to most, if their quality wasnt there they wouldnt have made it this far i think
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm curious how their V8 will compare to Heir 8a when it comes out..

Will he make V8 too?

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #3,069 of 4,841
Jun 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #3,070 of 4,841
Will he make V8 too?

Well if i remember from what I've read from a conversation between a reviewer and Vitaliy, there was a mention on V8 :)

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #3,072 of 4,841
Quote:
.... you have to go to an audiologist who's done them for CIEM's before if at all possible, or at the very least, one who will do them exactly to the manufacturer's instructions.

I got the run around when I asked audiologists locally if they did them/how much (one wanted to charge me 'a couple of hundred dollars' !!), I suspect many were of the 'Well I've done impressions for hearing aids for 25 yrs and that's the way they're done' school. I took the day off to go to Melbourne & have them done by someone who hadn't done hundreds for CIEM's, but she had done some the previous week, and doing them per the manufacturer's instructions (and me saying 'as deep as possible, well past 2nd bend, etc, etc') was no drama whatsoever.

Yes, as I mentioned in the dedicated impressions thread, one needs to be politely assertive with many audiologists because they can be arrogant that they've been doing hearing-aid impressions for years and therefore know infinitely more than the CIEM customer. It takes a bit of courage to be assertive with a time-served audiologist, because, let's face it, us CIEM customers aren't experts in impression-taking, but the point is that we need to make the audiologist cease presumptuously thinking they know it all, and to actually pause and genuinely take on board the CIEM-specific requirements.

Provided mutual respect is present from both customer and audiologist, I have found there is no problem with being politely assertive.    The only time I've found polite assertiveness to be a problem is (not related to CIEMs) when attending appointments with certain medical doctors, some of whom can be arrogant, closed-minded, and belittling to the patient, in the extreme.

Audiologists generally seem to be more amenable to taking on-board the requirements of a (politely) assertive customer, but it's a thin line to tread 
wink_face.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #3,074 of 4,841
Hey Joe (or anyone else): are there any new exciting hybrids coming out soon or any that came out, but are under the radar?

The Rooth LS-5x seemed promising, but I can't find reviews anywhere (besides Joe's)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back