Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jun 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #3,092 of 4,841
Quote:

This brings up the question: what is bright?  Is the HD800 bright and the LCD-2 "accurate," or is the HD800 "accurate" and the LCD-2 dark?  I tend to think somewhere between the two.  In comparison, the NT-6 pro is on the brighter side, but listening to them in a vacuum, the sound isn't bright since I can adjust.  It is an amazing headphone, and like I said, it offers the best clarity of any headphone I have heard.  I do believe the top tier CIEMs sound close to good speaker setups in certain ways, but the presentation is very different for me due to the immediacy of the sound.

This reminds me of my days designing and building fullsize loudspeakers for my home hi-fi. It was always a fine line between achieving good perceived extension at both ends of the freq. spectrum, without making the speaker sound unbalanced or boomy (bass) or aggressive (treble). I'm using crude terms here, for the sake of brevity, so please don't think I was building crap. These were decent loudspeakers, using Dynaudio and Scanspeak drive units. Proper gear.

But what I'm leading up to is that during those years, I took the time to listen to a vast array of commercial offerings, and it always struck me that the loudspeakers aimed at the studio monitoring sector of the market (BBC etc.) would, you would expect, probably be the most neutral sounding on the market, but this was not entirely the case! Fairly consistently, I noticed that many, many studio monitors would have a treble presentation that seemed more forward than non studio monitors. This kind of presentation was helpful in hearing fine percussive details, and vocal breaths/inflections etc., but could become quite fatiguing, or even borderline-aggressive, at times, and did not therefore sound entirely natural.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #3,093 of 4,841
Quote:
Is it a limit about wearing ciems? I mean acrylic or silicone why I shouldn't wear them all day long? Is it unhealthy or something?

There are two aspects:
  1. You should not listen to music with iems for hours without pause. You should take 15mn pause every two hours at least
  2. The ear internal membrane is not made to be in contact with anything. So treat it gently. I for instance, alternate the use of universals with shallow fit and CIEMS to let it rest
These recommendations come from my audiologist...

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #3,094 of 4,841
Quote:
There are two aspects:
  1. You should not listen to music with iems for hours without pause. You should take 15mn pause every two hours at least
  2. The ear internal membrane is not made to be in contact with anything. So treat it gently. I for instance, alternate the use of universals with shallow fit and CIEMS to let it rest
These recommendations come from my audiologist...

Wow Mimouille wonderful help and explanation. Thank you very much for sharing, you are great 
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #3,098 of 4,841
Quote:
Mim how would you compare SE5 way with Miracles? Do you think Miracles have the technical capabilities of SE5way but presenting the music in different way or SE5 way is superior without a question?

Miracles lack extreme extension to the treble. The treble also lacks absolute realism with shimmering / brushed cymbal work.   On the plus side, the Miracle treble is gloriously spacious.

It's a trade-off; TWFK isn't perfect, even with careful tuning.

Not certain what tweeter and super-tweeter Grzegorz uses for the SE-5 but some say it sounds more organic in the treble. I slightly agree with that, but it's not (to me) a night-&-day difference in terms of treble realism between these 2 CIEMs. The SE-5 does nudge ahead with treble realism but it's a matter of whether you feel that's a worthwhile trade-off for a less-spacious sound.

"Pick your poison!", as the saying goes 
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #3,099 of 4,841
Quote:
Mim how would you compare SE5 way with Miracles? Do you think Miracles have the technical capabilities of SE5way but presenting the music in different way or SE5 way is superior without a question?

I have compared them in this thread and the Miracle thread, try to look. I find the SE5 superior technically, but not night and day.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3,100 of 4,841
Quote:
Let me ask you guys who have more than one CIEM a personal question.
Which one can move you to tears when listening to a beautiful piece? The experience where you feel you are truly connected and almost in the music.

The higher the performance (see scores here), the more realistic the music becomes.  The more realistic, the more involving and moving it becomes to me.  Small improvements to fine nuances that are located precisely and accurately add a lot to the experience for me.  

Quote:

I know it is different than the Miracle (and I am not Mim), but I have compared the PP6 to the SE5 in my PP6 review.  The PP6 is supposed to be better than the Miracle, although Project86 can shed more light on the differences than I can.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #3,101 of 4,841
Quote:

Miracles lack extreme extension to the treble. The treble also lacks absolute realism with shimmering / brushed cymbal work.   On the plus side, the Miracle treble is gloriously spacious.

It's a trade-off; TWFK isn't perfect, even with careful tuning.

Not certain what tweeter and super-tweeter Grzegorz uses for the SE-5 but some say it sounds more organic in the treble. I slightly agree with that, but it's not (to me) a night-&-day difference in terms of treble realism between these 2 CIEMs. The SE-5 does nudge ahead with treble realism but it's a matter of whether you feel that's a worthwhile trade-off for a less-spacious sound.

"Pick your poison!", as the saying goes 
beerchug.gif

I feel like I can't go wrong with either. I should choose carefully before buying and read/compare as much as possible. Thanks a lot Mython.

Quote:

I know it is different than the Miracle (and I am not Mim), but I have compared the PP6 to the SE5 in my PP6 review.  The PP6 is supposed to be better than the Miracle, although Project86 can shed more light on the differences than I can.

I also read it too and I should say it helped and gave me and idea. I think you also heard Miracle universal demos right but it wouldn't be fair to compare universal build customs and real customs.

You send that PP6 poison to me before too about soundstage and presentation but oh boy their price is out of my range. Still Miracles shouldn't be bad if I feed them with a DAP like DX100/HDP R10 I guess.

Quote:
I have compared them in this thread and the Miracle thread, try to look. I find the SE5 superior technically, but not night and day.

Okay I will find and read it 
wink.gif
 So basically if Miracles sound signature fits to me, I should go for it without a problem, it is still on the high end level.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #3,102 of 4,841
Quote:

That is what I want everyone to believe mwahahahahaha

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #3,104 of 4,841
Quote:
Sure, Miracle is UM's TOTL...and it is great...but consider also the differences of acrylic vs. silicone

I know what acoustic and wearability differences there are between acrylic and silicone, having owned both kinds of CIEMs, but I'm not clear on what you are driving at with the above post; would you care to elaborate?

popcorn.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3,105 of 4,841
Quote:

I know what acoustic and wearability differences there are between acrylic and silicone, having owned both kinds of CIEMs, but I'm not clear on what you are driving at with the above post; would you care to elaborate?

popcorn.gif

Nothing very specific, but addressing his question: he basically asked: "if both are comparable technically, I should those whose described sound sig I prefer, right?" I think there are other things to consider in that case.

For example, I find acrylic slightly faster to put on and take off than Silicone, so if you need to pop them in and out often, having only a silicone ciem is not ideal. Unless you also have universals. Besides, if you are someone who does does NOT take good care of his stuff, silicone ciems are slightly more fragile. Then, if you have sensitive canals, I find silicone much less aggressive than acrylic. If you live in a very hot / humid place, some people find silicone is not optimal when you swet a lot. I was thinking about such things. And there might be other things.

And there are other factors known to all between these two products: what is your source (as they have VERY different impedance), where do you live (regarding Spiral Ears and deliverely outside Europe), price (SE5 is 1.5 times the price of Miracles), etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back