MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
Aug 17, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #256 of 740

The Analog is the entry level DAC to the MSB range... so I am very puzzled. If the baby DAC does this, what else is out there? To answer it, I am looking to get a full Signature V stack at home.

Are you not curious as to what the bigger MSB Analogue power supply would do to the sound?
That promises to be a more cost effective upgrade than changing to the higher DAC models, as they themselves have upgrade options in an ever increasing spiral.  

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #257 of 740

Are you not curious as to what the bigger MSB Analogue power supply would do to the sound?
That promises to be a more cost effective upgrade than changing to the higher DAC models, as they themselves have upgrade options in an ever increasing spiral.  

That for sure is already high on my interest list. And very good point. =))

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #258 of 740

That for sure is already high on my interest list. And very good point. =))

Talking to the local dealers from Romania, I understood that the power supply makes a huge difference in sound quality. After talking to @Wino I bought a custom LPS from Ben Lau in Honk Kong.

Still waiting for it. I've read that some guys even considered this lps to be better than the ones from MSB. That remains to be seen though :) 

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #259 of 740
I believe you are refering to Kenneth Lau ? just wonder if you do consider JS-2 ? but how could that compare to the MSB 5 dedicated toroid in aerospace aluminium cast ?

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #260 of 740
  I believe you are refering to Kenneth Lau ? just wonder if you do consider JS-2 ? but how could that compare to the MSB 5 dedicated toroid in aerospace aluminium cast ?

I am refering to Ben Lau ben.lau@volent.com.hk . I know there is a Keneth Lau, I have a lps for a lumin network streamer/dac at home. Actually when I saw Keneth Lau on the lumin LPS I wondered what is the relation between the two :) 

I was referring to the DAC IV powerbases, not the newer ones from V. 

What I've read here:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14925-MSB-Diamond-IV-Select-dac&p=312967&viewfull=1#post312967

However, that's just hear say, that's why I said that it remains to be seen. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #262 of 740
The dark side has arrived.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #263 of 740
  The dark side has arrived.

Dude, that thing rocks! I respect anyone who has the guts to sink all that cash on a DAC. I think you heard the Analogue first? 
I would be very interested on how it sounds once run in. Or is it a demo unit?

MSB are very good at building in upgradability with slotted boards and modules. It makes sense like a PC. I wish more manufactures would follow suit. Sinking hard cash on a digital piece that can date, it is required IMO.

I wonder if I could ever go solid state R-2R, I think I may still need some tubes in my setup. You have the Eddie Current, I have the Audio Note tubed DAC. IMO it is fairly necessary or things can go too sterile.

There are other interesting R-2R DACs popping up, but many are made by very small cottage companies who may disappear in a few years time... MSB are established and a world leader in R-2R technology.

No doubt you will post your impressions Negura.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #264 of 740
  Dude, that thing rocks! I respect anyone who has the guts to sink all that cash on a DAC. I think you heard the Analogue first? 
I would be very interested on how it sounds once run in. Or is it a demo unit?

MSB are very good at building in upgradability with slotted boards and modules. It makes sense like a PC. I wish more manufactures would follow suit. Sinking hard cash on a digital piece that can date, it is required IMO.

I wonder if I could ever go solid state R-2R, I think I may still need some tubes in my setup. You have the Eddie Current, I have the Audio Note tubed DAC. IMO it is fairly necessary or things can go too sterile.

There are other interesting R-2R DACs popping up, but many are made by very small cottage companies who may disappear in a few years time... MSB are established and a world leader in R-2R technology.

No doubt you will post your impressions Negura.

A few things are in scope for impressions:
1. MSB Analog + Signature V PSU
2. MSB Analog + MSB Transport + Signature V PSU
3. Theta  V A + MSB Transport
4. stack MSB Signature V vs all these

Not to mention the transport gives the options of: network streaming, CD player, USB sticks and a variety of connectivity.

It's going to take a lot of work and it might end up I might need to be more selective.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #265 of 740

A few things are in scope for impressions:
1. MSB Analog + Signature V PSU
2. MSB Analog + MSB Transport + Signature V PSU
3. Theta  V A + MSB Transport
4. stack MSB Signature V vs all these

Not to mention the transport gives the options of: network streaming, CD player, USB sticks and a variety of connectivity.

It's going to take a lot of work and it might end up I might need to be more selective.

Awesome. Nice to have a none bias review of high end gear, unlike many Magazines...... I get fed up reading everything piece of kit is the best since XX, the new reference.

I am sure both the Analogue + PS + USB Quad will be super nice. No idea what the V will do, that is into stratosphere budgets so few have posted on that unit.
I like sound of this company, they are so focussed on leading edge technology and pushing out the boundaries. I don't get why the likes of Esoteric / TAS / Chord and others and their flagship products are not doing this. MSB seem to have stuck with R-2R and fine tuned and re-written what is possible. Most everyone else has bought into the OS Bull it seems to me....

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #266 of 740
  Awesome. Nice to have a none bias review of high end gear, unlike many Magazines...... I get fed up reading everything piece of kit is the best since XX, the new reference.

I am sure both the Analogue + PS + USB Quad will be super nice. No idea what the V will do, that is into stratosphere budgets so few have posted on that unit.
I like sound of this company, they are so focussed on leading edge technology and pushing out the boundaries. I don't get why the likes of Esoteric / TAS / Chord and others and their flagship products are not doing this. MSB seem to have stuck with R-2R and fine tuned and re-written what is possible. Most everyone else has bought into the OS Bull it seems to me....

Negura disappeared for a few hours already. I think he's chasing his wallet around the neighbourhood, as the poor thing got scared and ran away.

brace-your-wallets---steam-summer-sale-will-most-likely-start-tomorrow_o_1821955.webp

Then :

images

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #268 of 740
Is it like this?

When I buy new gear is costs me double i.e. same money goes to the wife. There are some hifi dealers who do 'fake' invoices.....

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #269 of 740

I am with you on this. The start price for the Analogue is £5.8K, add the Quad USB at £880 which is required to get the best USB out of it. Then the volume pot another £980.
That makes it £7.5+ already. So it is never going to be a sub £6K DAC. The power supply is nice but adds another huge £3K, more than a Yggy.
That lands you in £10+ territory. On a product with limited upgrade possibilities (not deigned that way) and a very very horrid 12 months warranty.

I have not heard the Analogue, but the above is making me mad already..... The TotalDAC is actually cheaper and has more warranty yet TotalDAC is a tiny company. The Yggy has a whopping 5 years! I don't get it, why is the MSB only 12 months. I read it runs hot, that stresses components and reduces life.

The next models up are in Footballers territory. I used to think Esoteric gear was expensive. 30 K buys me a nice new Merc. My cents....

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #270 of 740
  Is it like this?

When I buy new gear is costs me double i.e. same money goes to the wife. There are some hifi dealers who do 'fake' invoices.....

I feel you, bro! :)) There is the true invoice and the invoice for the wife. "Look! It wasn't so expensive!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back