MS-1 vs. SR-60
Jun 3, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #61 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fun discussion though...I love all of these cloak-&-dagger conspiracy theories!
icon10.gif

YEAH!! for sure!
biggrin.gif

(thoughts apart, i really do love MS-1 sound! hope to hear some grados soon!)

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #62 of 137
Considering that in my case the SR60s would be more expensive to get than the MS-1, I couldn't care less. But the OP's tone, failure to show any sense of relativity, and factual errors, certainly make me doubt his intentions. I personally know someone who cannot distinguish 96kbps mp3 from CD, yet somehow he doesn't feel the urge to convince everyone that higher bitrates are just a conspiracy to make you buy bigger harddrives.

I'm not saying there's no truth to the original post, but the self-righteous tone and childish attacks on the way Grado go about their business makes the OP's intentions questionable at best.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #63 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tons of folks in those numerous polls have never listened to these two headphones side by side. I completely understand why. They're both entry level headphones and there's no reason to own both (unless like me, you're curious about the hyped-up sound differences). What error of percentage accuracy can we attribute to fanboy syndrome (applied to both sides)? We also have Senn, AKG, and Audio Technica people voting in those polls. Those differences in materials (if they really exist...I haven't seen an engineering spec...do you have a link?) are included in the price of the headphones. You're paying $30 extra, for ZERO return. You can't honestly tell me a 3 cent button has that much of an impact on price structure.

as I said, are those $30 extra real extra? mind the international policies of Grado distribution! (if they were really similar!)...

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #64 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This IS very weird indeed! I mean if you think about it for a moment, the headphone universe has been churning along just fine for years and years. Everyone knew exactly where everything fit in the progression of things, and suddenly this unusual event comes along and threatens to disrupt everything. We have tons of data collected over the years explaining how things actually are, and just one incident of anomaly.

Do the two entry level Grado phones sound exactly alike? Well, according to one sincere and well meaning individual they do. According to lots and lots of other folks in these forums, they sound similar, but with differences sufficient to make decisions leading to one brand or the other in the Grado/Alessandro world.

Noting the utter lack of involvement in this debate by the vast knowledgeable population here, I suspect that most folks see this as something to go "huh?" about.

Anyway; it's probably time to move on and get back to business as usual.

....it WAS fun though!
biggrin.gif

Please...the headphone universe created by one or two people. Everybody listens and everybody repeats because they don't have first hand knowledge themselves. And then when I see ricmat recommending to LawnGnome to upgrade to the MS-1s from the SR-60s when ricmat is only repeating rehashed information he read from probably...F107...which got his information from a speaker forum. The telephone game folks. People have to realize that they're basing purchase decisions on 3rd and 4th hand information and that fanboy creep is alive and well. Imagine how disappointed LawnGnome would be if he actually did "upgrade" to the MS-1s. He would think it a waste of $$$. Regardless, I would love to see more comparisons from other people about these two cans. I seriously doubt people are willing to risk disrupting their own private universe. I would be willing to loan you my SR-60s (via refundable PayPal deposit). The price of shipping is the only expense. Would you be up for it F104?

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #65 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried it already. Still dont understand a word. Engrish at its best.
smily_headphones1.gif

ROFL!

MaZa, that site is very cool as there are many cans represented that I was curious about. I dug around blindly & found a freq curve for the KSC75...big drop off in the mids...I knew it! Wish I knew Japanese though.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #66 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey man, why dont you try some blind test? Get some Y adapter and do it!

I think this is the only reliable way to do this kind of test! otherwise, you'll always be biased!

Maybe I can find a local head fier in San Diego, OC, or LA that would be willing to help out. There's talk of a meet that hasn't yet been organized.

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #67 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyramjet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering that in my case the SR60s would be more expensive to get than the MS-1, I couldn't care less. But the OP's tone, failure to show any sense of relativity, and factual errors, certainly make me doubt his intentions. I personally know someone who cannot distinguish 96kbps mp3 from CD, yet somehow he doesn't feel the urge to convince everyone that higher bitrates are just a conspiracy to make you buy bigger harddrives.

I'm not saying there's no truth to the original post, but the self-righteous tone and childish attacks on the way Grado go about their business makes the OP's intentions questionable at best.

I threw the tone in there for entertainment value. I also don't feel I've attacked anyone personally.

If you feel I'm incapable of an objective review, check out my other reviews and read everyone's remarks.

iCans

iGrado Pre Mod
iGrado PX100 comparo

iGrado post mod

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #68 of 137
Quote:

Please...the headphone universe created by one or two people. Everybody listens and everybody repeats because they don't have first hand knowledge themselves. And then when I see ricmat recommending to LawnGnome to upgrade to the MS-1s from the SR-60s when ricmat is only repeating rehashed information he read from probably...F107...which got his information from a speaker forum. The telephone game folks. People have to realize that they're basing purchase decisions on 3rd and 4th hand information and that fanboy creep is alive and well. Imagine how disappointed LawnGnome would be if he actually did "upgrade" to the MS-1s. He would think it a waste of $$$. Regardless, I would love to see more comparisons from other people about these two cans. I seriously doubt people are willing to risk disrupting their own private universe. I would be willing to loan you my SR-60s (via refundable PayPal deposit). The price of shipping is the only expense. Would you be up for it F104?

Ah Ha!(*chuckle*)you didn't read what I wrote! I said basically...or at least I tried to, it was gettin' late last night and I was gettin' a bit punchy!...was that the speaker guys who already had SR-60s and MS-1s only suggested that the MS-1 would suit my needs, and pointed me here! I then came to this evil place to refine my search, and tons of further study seemed to bear out what they had suggested. The studies I performed were going back to day one of this, and other, forums and pulled together information submitted by folks who haven't posted here in years, from folks who are old timers, and from noobes with initial impressions untainted by exposure to others. If you look at only the current batch of members, certainly you get only the current gossip, but by going back and wearing out the search button you get a varied and bewildering amount of data to digest. I can do that. I'm retired and have tons of time to invest in searching and reviewing data. It's fun!! Anyway, the headphone universe is populated by a truly phenomenal amount of stars from brown dwarfs to red giants and some real super novas who are no longer with us and everything in between! Not to mention the black holes trying to suck out our wallets.
frown.gif

Thank you for the offer to check out your SR-60 in comparison to my MS-1, I appreciate the offer! I will be, however in about three months, getting a pair of SR-80 for my oldest grandkid. I was originally thinking about SR-60, but the three wire cable bothers me a bit, and the bowls will make a better test since I can put the bowls from my MS2i on my MS-1 and get a better match-up with the bowls on the SR-80 rather than having reversed 414s on one set to botch up the mix.

The bottom line, to me anyway; is that there IS a difference between the Grado and Alessandro LINES of phones. There is just too much written data available by too many distinct individuals over too many years to see it any other way. Whether the MS-1 and SR-60 are similar is an interesting question. Why they would be, considering the thought that entry-level phones are intended to show the listener what the rest of the line is all about, begs the question as to WHY Grado would want them to sound the same in the first place. I should think that he and George would want the entry level phones to sound more like the upper level models of those two similar but still distinct lines.

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #69 of 137
Did that search button every yield a comparison between the SR-60s and MS-1s?

You can still compare your SR-80s to the MS-1s. Just place the comfy pads on the SR-80s and AB the MS-1s. I'm anxiously waiting your impressions.

What about an e-mail to Grado Labs asking about the sound differences between the two? Couldn't hurt, right?

I have a theory about why Grado would want them to sound the same...we discussed it already...to appeal to the international market and create favorable sales terms for Grado. But, this probably can't be verified by anyone except Grado brass.

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #70 of 137
Quote:

You can still compare your SR-80s to the MS-1s. Just place the comfy pads on the SR-80s and AB the MS-1s. I'm anxiously waiting your impressions.

So, MS1 with bowl pads should sound the same as SR80? Well, soon I'll be able to get SR80 for a couple of days and check it out (of course I need to get my MS1 as well
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #72 of 137
Quote:

I haven't tried the MS-1 with bowl pads yet...but yes...I'm sure they'll sound the same as the SR-80s.

I'll be able to comment on that in a couple days. Just waiting for my bowls to arrive!

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #73 of 137
Quote:

I threw the tone in there for entertainment value. I also don't feel I've attacked anyone personally.

If you feel I'm incapable of an objective review, check out my other reviews and read everyone's remarks.

I'm not saying you're incapable of an objective review, I'm saying this particular post didn't seem to be very well thought out to me.

The "Sound Quality" section seems to contradict common knowledge on this forum with regard to pads (bowls taming the highs compared to comfies). "Misc." contains an error, which I pointed out yet you chose not to correct. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder regarding the Alessandro, or specifically MS-1, hype. That's fine as I agree that to US residents the price difference is significant. But there are subtler ways to voice an opinion. Throwing in a "to my ears" or "IMHO" never hurt anyone.

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #74 of 137
Regarding the hype...it is just that. When there's an underlying assumption that one headphone is better than another and you find very few people that have actually compared the two, it's kind of disturbing.

I could have compared highs, mids, and lows and tried to point out every little difference or nuance, but after ABing several times, I couldn't find any, so I kept it short and sweet. Common knowledge does not yet exist for this issue. People are just making assumptions and these assumptions are just repeated...it's not true knowledge. I'm sure you can understand the difference.

As far as my tone, I'm probably not going to change it. I don't expect you to take my word for anything...you should be skeptical of what I say or of what anyone else says (no matter how politely they express their opinions) because our realities may be different. Critical thinking is a great thing...it drives exploration which leads to true knowledge.

Besides throwing in a few "to my ears" and "IMHO"s, do you have any suggestions for how I should write my next review? Hopefully, my next review will be about the RS-1s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #75 of 137
Found one who DID compare MS1 to SR60. http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...headphoneId=95

I have seen others too here in headfi and other forums, but I guess they are vanished already. Cannot find them anymore. There is definetly something fishy either in your SR60 or MS1. Graphs are noticeably different, cables are different, people who have previously compared them said they were different, MS-Pro has been compared to RS1 couple of times so far and both said they were different... (this makes theory of Alessandro is made only international market questionable) why is your MS1 100% similar to SR60?
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back