MS-1 vs. SR-60
Aug 16, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #136 of 137
Sorry to bring up a 2 month old thread, but I realized that I never answered the questions asked by BrookR1. So here you go...

Quote from BrookR1:

When you talk about the "uveiling"...what percentage in sound improvement did you notice? Overall, how alike do you feel these phones are? Is the MS-1 a 50 while the SR-80s are a 35? 43? 49? What percentage of the total sound signature would you attribute the carity to? 3% 10%
In terms of "unveiling", its hard to say with concrete numbers. But in terms of its price difference I feel that its justified. (which is around $30 more for me for the ms1). The grado sound is still there for both headphones, but I'm not too sure how much of the "clarity" can be attributed to it. I got totally spoiled listening to some jazz with my dad's equipment since I'm at home for the summer, so I lost my point of reference
tongue.gif

Would you consider the MS-1s more "laid back" than the SR-60?
My definition (which may vary from others) is being laid back is that the treble is toned down (like going to a receiver and then turning down the treble knob). in this case, the Ms-1 are definitely NOT more laid back than the sr-60 with this definition...the shrillness is still there. (I'm very sensitive to this, hence my preference of my reference equipment with tube amps.)

Have you listened to any other Grados with bowl pads? If so, would you consider them less fatiguing than your MS-1s?
I haven't gotten the chance to try bowls, so I can't comment on that

Here's a loaded question...knowing what you know now, do you think the MS-1s are worth the extra $30 over the SR-60s? Do you think you would have been just as happy with the SR-60 and used the $30 towards an upgrade?
Answered above
icon10.gif
What would I use the $30 towards? Amp...etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back