MS-1 vs. SR-60
Jun 4, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #106 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by jook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you've forced me to register and login to make a post
cool.gif
I'm an old user of the site who haven't been posting for a long while (and thus forgotten his password!). But I've read posts for some time.

I'm sitting here with a pair of Grados SR-60 and a recently acquired Alessandro MS-1. I have been A/B'ing them just recently so this thread is very timely.

I'll cut to the chase. For all the stuff I've listened to, and all the various sources and music of mine: The SR-60 and MS-1 sound significantly different to me.

I'm not going to make sweeping statements that this applies for everybody. I think BrookR1 clearly has very different ears to me, and we most likely listen to (and for) very different things. For one, he listed "techno" as a genre he tested with, and I don't listen to any techno. I listen mostly to rock, pop (that's such a useless term these days), blues, jazz - recordings ranging from the 60s to now. I'm also a musician and dabble in recording, if that matters any.

To me, I can't even imagine saying these two sound the same. They sound so vastly different, to the point that I can find instrument sounds that stand out on one and almost completely inaudible on the other.

My impression is similar to what donunus' described earlier in the thread. The bass is significantly stronger on the SR-60. The rhythm section (drums and bass) is very much more forward and you can hear much more detail in these two instruments.

The MS-1 however, while having a more rolled off bass (which is still quite nice and has a presence to it, but nowhere near as "forward" and thus less detailed in things like the tone of a bass guitar being plucked) has very crisp and detailed midrange to highs. It's almost like an a mid/treble boost on the SR-60's sound in some way. It's definitely more detailed in things like guitars and piano. Vocals are alot more 'airy'. Acoustic pianos that are played in conjunction with bass drums and electric bass stands out much more clearly, as opposed to being somewhat muddied up a bit in the SR-60s.

The way I see it, the MS-1 (and I suspect, the Alessandro sound in general) is more "hi fi". It is cleaner, more detailed in many areas. It (purposely) loses some of the bass in order to achieve something more accurate and clear.

I liken the SR-60 (and overall Grado line) to listening to something with a tube amp - in that it will appeal more to the people who enjoy the nature of things like tube amps. It gives warmth and tonal coloration. Achieving high fidelity is not its objective, it's just to make the music more pleasant to listen to (which is subjective of course, depending on your tastes). There is a great deal of detail in its own way, but not to the MS-1's level of clarity. It has a greater amount of color though, and the sounds have a more unique presentation.

The MS-1 is great in that it has some of that warmth and coloration of the Grado, and yet be able to achieve greater detail, without going all out with the clinical level of accuracy of something like the AKG studio phones.

I find myself going back and forth between which one I prefer, but in the end, I decided on the SR-60s. I believe it is significantly warmer sounding, and while it's not as detailed, it's very much the sound I want to "hear" in my head. Also, take into account that I listen to alot of old recordings, things from the 50s and 60s. These recordings are far from what would be considered high fidelity, and they don't sound so well when more detail and treble is brought forward, but they excel with something like the Grados. I read the interview with John Grado which says that he listens to alot of 60s stuff like The Beatles and the Stones, so this makes alot of sense.

Anyway, the point I wanted to get to, is that no one listens the same way, and no one hears the same things. So I don't think it's wise to state your impressions as fact. I think it's going way overboard to start predicting corporate controversy just because you think these headphones sound the same. Take note that other people clearly do not, and whether you hear it or not, you have to take that into consideration.

The frequency measurements posted before (and pasted below for complete-ness) are also interesting, and they largely match with my impressions. So some differences can't be denied.

SR-60:
sr-60_f.gif

MS-1:
musicseriesone_f.gif

now since we have the same impressions about the sr60s, I am a little confused about the ms2i. One member here said that they have almost the same balance as the sr225 but a little richer and fuller. Then some people say they are about the same as the ms1 in bass quantity. This confuses me because the sr60 bass is already much fatter than the ms1s and since the 225 is generally and measurably bassier than the sr60, how is it possible that the ms2i is just as bassy as the ms1. What
blink.gif
frown.gif

I am posting this because i'm about to pull the trigger on the ms2i if I get consistent impressions which is probably impossible
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #109 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
attachment.php

Overlaying graphs of the 2 it seems that the sr-60 is more neutral
with a smoother high end roll off but a slight rise in low end response.

My only concern is that these two graphs were taken in EXACTLY the same way using equipment designed to test earphones most accurately.

....even though they do look pretty consistent with the same testing procedure, don't they.

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #110 of 137
Looking at the 2 graphs it look almost what one would expect
if one was doped with a heavier compound to dampen the
breakup of the driver than the other. Lowering the fs of
the driver at the bottom and smoothing out the peak at
the top for the sr-60 and maybe letting the ms-1 driver
break up a bit more.

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #111 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Evo and I both had the same observations about the comfy pads. They are slightly different between the SR-60 and MS-1. The SR-60s are slightly softer with the MS-1s being less dense and slightly firmer.

I would think this is just from the pads breaking in due to wearing them. For both of you, the SR-60 has been used for some time, while the MS-1 is basically new out of the box. I suspect that as you wear them, the pads become softer, as well as more dense as they squish up against your head.

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #112 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only concern is that these two graphs were taken in EXACTLY the same way using equipment designed to test earphones most accurately.

....even though they do look pretty consistent with the same testing procedure, don't they.

At least there are visible differences, which pretty much concluded the MS-1 vs. SR-60 argument for me (assuming proper methodology as you mention).

EDIT: I do wonder about the role of pads though as it seems (as best as I can tell) the SR-60s were tested with TTVJ flats. Google translator only works so well unfortunately.

If you think the MS-1 & SR-60 curves have similarities, check out the curves comparing the RS-1 & SR-225 (The SR-225 = blue line).
blink.gif

attachment.php

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #113 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least there are visible differences, which pretty much concluded the MS-1 vs. SR-60 argument for me (assuming proper methodology as you mention).

EDIT: I do wonder about the role of pads though as it seems (as best as I can tell) the SR-60s were tested with TTVJ flats. Google translator only works so well unfortunately.

If you think the MS-1 & RS-60 curves have similarities, check out the curves comparing the RS-1 & SR-225 (The SR-225 = blue line).
blink.gif

attachment.php

Wow! That RS-1 & SR-225 pair of graphs really does prove out the comments quite often voiced in this forum that there really is quite a similarity between RS-1 and SR-226 in the way the frequencies are presented, although even though; the RS-1 just presents them somewhat "better"! They say.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #114 of 137
Never underestimate the placebo effect.

Wish I had a nickel for every time someone swore that a firmware upgrade made their DAP sound "I don't know, just better".

This is why blind testing is so crucial. If your brain knows what can is on your head your ear may hear what the brain thinks it should.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #115 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! That RS-1 & SR-225 pair of graphs really does prove out the comments quite often voiced in this forum that there really is quite a similarity between RS-1 and SR-226 in the way the frequencies are presented, although even though; the RS-1 just presents them somewhat "better"! They say.
biggrin.gif

Or maybe they prove that you can't tell how a headphone sounds from a frequency chart?

Having said that I must confess I haven't got a clue how a 225 sounds since I haven't tried any (but I love my RS1!
rs1smile.gif
)

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #116 of 137
OK...I have an idea...let me know if this is acceptable to everyone:

I will assume that the MS-1 drivers are the same as the SR-125 drivers. I will place bowl pads on the MS-1s and compare them to my SR-80s. According to GoodCans.com, I should hear more detail.

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/grado125.htm

Would this be fair? I could also place the bowl pads on my SR-60s and compare them to the MS-1s. I don't have a fancy setup and it probably isn't as expensive as jooks, but it's worth a shot. If the specs do tell a story, then maybe the bowl pads will help bring out those differences. I will turn off the fridge, AC, and anything else that's creating noise.

I will admit that I was looking for a sound much different than what was actually presented, and my expectations may have played into it.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #117 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think this is just from the pads breaking in due to wearing them. For both of you, the SR-60 has been used for some time, while the MS-1 is basically new out of the box. I suspect that as you wear them, the pads become softer, as well as more dense as they squish up against your head.

The SR-60 only has a few hours on it...I bought it maybe a couple of weeks ago...10 hours on them tops.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #119 of 137
Quote:

I will assume that the MS-1 drivers are the same as the SR-125 drivers. I will place bowl pads on the MS-1s and compare them to my SR-80s. According to GoodCans.com, I should hear more detail.

Would this be fair? I could also place the bowl pads on my SR-60s and compare them to the MS-1s. I don't have a fancy setup and it probably isn't as expensive as jooks, but it's worth a shot. If the specs do tell a story, then maybe the bowl pads will help bring out those differences. I will turn off the fridge, AC, and anything else that's creating noise.

I will admit that I was looking for a sound much different than what was actually presented, and my expectations may have played into it.

Sounds reasonable to me. Matching pads & adequate burn in are key. Bowls should tease out detail nuances. I'd avoid assuming they sound like any particular Grado model though. I know if I thought I was buying a rebadged SR-125 I'd never have purchased the MS-1 based on descriptions of SR-125 sound. Judge them simply on what you are hearing & comment accordingly. If your opinion is favorable, fine. If not, also fine. Happy listening!
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #120 of 137
Quote:

Yeah I suppose if everything is equal and the cans are fully broken in it could be a fun exercise at that.

As far as the SR-125 drivers being the same as the MS-1 drivers. The MS-1 drivers are made from the same upgraded materials as the SR-125, but they are designed and manufactured to give a different sonic presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back