**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 3, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 3,203
Dan, do you think that the mod will be degraded after a long use? 
I just realize how much of a big differences between my Sen HD650 and Mad Dog 3.0 (upgrade from Dog Pad to Alpha Pad). The soundstage is wider but the sound is so veiled. I think I will need to send it Dan to retune.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #17 of 3,203
Quote:
Dan, do you think that the mod will be degraded after a long use? 
I just realize how much of a big differences between my Sen HD650 and Mad Dog 3.0 (upgrade from Dog Pad to Alpha Pad). The soundstage is wider but the sound is so veiled. I think I will need to send it Dan to retune.

Hi...  All the parts we use in the mod are selected for a long life span, so it should be quite durable.  

MOT rules preclude me from talking about the sound in the forums.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 3, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 3,203
Quote:
Kamakahah said this

1. Did you happen (or would you suspect) the Asgard 2/Bitfrost to also be a noticeable improvement over the M/M stack? I think Tube amps is where I have drawn the line for me and would prefer to stick with a SS amp.

1. I am also eyeing the Audio GD stuff as some mentioned in the previous thread that complements the warm MD quite well.

1. Also, does anyone know if Dan mentioned the processing time for the tuning job. I would like to know how long I may be without my mad dogs. :)

By the way, I am stuck with a FiiO E10 ($50) this summer while I am in Cali, but it has no problem driving the Mad Dogs. The headphones sound excellent. I haven't done a direct comparison with the FiiO and the M/M stack but makes me curious if there is any noticeable improvement between those two. Just thought I would mention this tidbit in case someone is looking for a cheap amp/dac.

The A2/bf is a very nice update on m/m stack...hands down across the board. I have owned several audio gd products but not at the same time as the MD. My recommendation is to go with the A2. Really tough to beat at it's price point. I even saw one used for $190 here. That's a crazy deal. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 3,203
My impressions are still mostly the same as before (taking a break from the Sig DJs and using the Mad Dogs... it still surprises me...)... so quoting myself

Quote:

I can say that I LOVE... let me say that again, I LOOOOOVE my Mad Dogs.
Have been an owner for a few months now (got them first with the 840 earpads and now the Dog Pads) and I can't find too many faults with it (compared to previously owned headphones).

First of all, a few months ago I decided to get a couple of closed-back headphones just for the heck of it... but MAINLY to find a suitable upgrade/sidegrade for my Denon D5000s. Why? Because I work in a "cube" environment and the D5000s leak... not a WHOLE lot (not in an open-back kind of way) but they do leak at the volumes I usually listened to. So, basically that meant:

1) Wanted bass and subbass
2) Wanted sparkly highs
3) Ok soundstage/instrument separation
4) Good Mids

I already had my trusty Shure 940s (very nice, detailed and clean mids/highs. Awesome for vocals but lacking body/bass on a lot of songs),
Sennheiser HD600s (open-back, so not that great for work!), Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (cheapo but great on the bass quantity and non-fatiguing. These are "semi" so they also leak A LOT!!!!) and I think that's it. In a short time where I went looking I purchased:

1. Skullcandy Mix Master Mike
  2. V-MODA M-80
  3. Denon D600
  4. Fostex T50RPs (Mad Dogs!)
  5. Ultrasone Signature Pro
  6. Sony MDR-1R
  7. V-MODA M100
  8. Fostex T50RP (Stock)

I have to say that there is A LOT to like on the list above (be it sound-wise, built quality/portability, main use, etc.). For example:

- the Denon D600s which a lot of head-fi'ers seem to "hate" are actually quite good sounding to my ears (even though the highs sounded weird to me, there was an inconsistency in its presentation). They were not harsh, they did have good quality/quantity bass (maybe a bit too much) and the mids were not that withdrawn to my ears. They were also comfortable to boot.

- Same goes with the V-MODA M-80s. Really balanced, with full-bodied sound (surprising for such a tiny enclosure!!! -- they are on-ears) but missing the highs a bit.

- Sony MDRs and M100s were the last of that list that I bought and used for weeks and they also have very very good qualities. The M100s have a lot of bass, and good controlled highs. Mids are not the best BUT they are not super recessed. I mean, I can enjoy most genres without problems. The thing that killed it for me was comfort. The earpads just plain... suck. Yep, they are good quality material but their shape is probably working against it and it hurt my ears (and no, I don't have weird nor big ears! :wink:). The Sony MDR-1R are actually very pleasant sounding, a bit too much midbass but mids were present and good sounding and so were the highs BUT they felt bright much of the time to me and I didn't like it which was weird as one of my favorite headphones is the SRH940s which are bright as hell. But if you read the MDR-1R thread, some people say they find them "warm" with a lot of bass presence too... so YMMV!!!! To my ears, the upper-mids.highs become fatiguing...

BUT in the end, I only kept coming back to two headphones, Ultrasone Signature Pros and the Mad Dogs!!!

The Signature Pros, again, to MY ears, have a "warmer" sound, more bass presence, great extension and POWERFUL sub bass (maybe not the same quantity as the Denon D5000s but definitely better defined!), very present Mids and Highs. In fact, I was surprised because, well, being Ultrasones I just expected a TON of bass, recessed mids, and shrill highs! I was wrong, apart from being warm, they are tonally great with great extension on both ends and present mids! If it wasn't for them being a BIT uncomfortable, they would be the BEST headphones I have ever bought! They clamp a bit hard which is great for isolation and for controlling leakage but that very same clamp makes my ears hurt just a bit after two or more hours straight of listening to my music.

Then, Mad Dogs... "Neutral-ish" but I find bass to be a bit increased also (which I like). To my ears these are still as mid-centric as the Stock pair but without the resonances and the uglyness!! :wink: . LOVE the mids of the Mad Dogs (which was one of the things I loved from the SRH940s), they have good highs presence and excellent Bass reproduction (including subbass). No, it doesn't reach the Sig Pros nor the Denon D5000s in quantity but the quality is great and it's "there". Apart from this, these are THE MOST COMFORTABLE HEADPHONES I have tried (yup, better than the Denons and the new MDR-1R). They feel like pillows on your head and I have listened to them for more than 4 hours straight without any problems).

These two became my comparison "control" group lol.
So I compared everything against them, the D600s, the M100s, the MDR-1Rs, the D5000s.

Guess who won!?!? :wink:

I just have to say that I sold MOST of my headphones thanks in part to the Mad Dogs!
I think that speaks for it's presentation and sound reproduction!!!

My D600s, M100s, MDR-1Rs, and all above I have sold. I only have my Sennheiser HD600s (relegated for Home use!), my cheapo Panasonics (for PC gaming use) and the Ultrasone Signature Pros and Mad Dogs (which I sometimes alternate for use at work... lately I've just been using the Mad Dogs!).

So, unless you/someone is looking for something VERY SPECIFIC (i.e. portability/durability/basshead == M100s, comfortable/neutral-ish/good looking == MDR-1Rs, lower budget/with good sound == M80s, SRH840s, treble happy/Mid-centric == SRH940s, etc. etc.), I will recommend the Mad Dogs to everyone! lol

To my ears and my head, Signature Pro > Denon D5000 > Mad Dogs > Shure SRH940s > Sony MDR-1R > V-MODA M100 > Denon D600 > V-MODA M-80 > Skullcandy Mix Master Mike > Fostex T50RP (Stock)

But as always, this above is according to MY ears and MY preferences! As always, YMMV!!! The best thing of course is to try them yourselves! But I can say with GREAT CONFIDENCE that the Mad Dogs are one of the best offerings out there.

Thanks for reading this Wall of Text!! LOL

And congrats to Dan for creating a pleasant sounding mod of a current headphone available at an INCREDIBLE and accessible price! Also, thanks for the quick responses and great customer service!

P.S. No, I don't work nor am I associated to Dan! LOL I just find these headphones quite incredible for the price and can give similar headphones in the price range a run for their money! No B.S.!

Note that those impressions were with the Dog Pads, and don't change with the Alpha Pads upgrade. One of these days I'll send them in for "re-tune" (probably wait until 3.5 or something :p).

Also, I'm waiting for Luis to update his page with more pics of the Paradox (i.e. the other color options) to decide which one to pick LOL. That's one comparison I want to hear by myself so... I guess I'll spend some more $$$. I also want to try the new JVC basshead headphones just for the heck of it and I participated in Grain Audio's Kickstarter campaign so I'll be receiving those too. I did promised myself to stop buying headphones though... just... did not say when... :wink:

So I guess I'll chime in after I get a few of those headphones. Maybe one will dethrone my current preferences, Sig DJ/Sig Pro/Mad Dogs, maybe not...

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #20 of 3,203
Been with the Mad Dogs since the beginning. Also have mine balanced, but they're hardwired.

Anyways, forget MD replacing mid-fi cans, these babies are better than the LCD-2's. 
tongue.gif
 In my controversial opinion, of course.

And this time, no objective talk, boys! 
deadhorse.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #21 of 3,203
Quote:
Been with the Mad Dogs since the beginning. Also have mine balanced, but they're hardwired.

Anyways, forget MD replacing mid-fi cans, these babies are better than the LCD-2's. 
tongue.gif

deadhorse.gif

Wow, I went as far as I got rid of my HD650 and D5000's after the Mad Dogs but you took it another level.
Good for you.  Can't wait until I get mine balanced as well.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 3,203
Just got my 3.2 upgraded MDs in today. All I can say so far is that they're definitely cleaner than before. The 4k area rise isn't quite as much as I expected, but oh well. 
They also look really beautiful now with the vader stickers :D

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #24 of 3,203
Just got my 3.2 upgraded MDs in today. All I can say so far is that they're definitely cleaner than before. The 4k area rise isn't quite as much as I expected, but oh well. 
They also look really beautiful now with the vader stickers :D

Did you go all black, or still with the branding?

The mids have definitely recessed a bit. Still trying to decide if I like the changes.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 3,203
You're right the HD650 went when the HE500 came in which was about a week apart from getting the Mad Dogs. It was just the D5000 that ended up going.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #26 of 3,203
Quote:
Quote:
They also look really beautiful now with the vader stickers
biggrin.gif

Did you go all black, or still with the branding?

The mids have definitely recessed a bit. Still trying to decide if I like the changes.

I went all black. 
ph34r.gif

To be honest, I wouldn't call the mids recessed, more just "cleaned up" IMHO.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #28 of 3,203
Quote:
I really want to get my Mad Dogs balanced. When will that upgrade be available to existing owners?

Sometime in July...  I will send out a newsletter with info when we're ready.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #29 of 3,203
Quote:

The A2/bf is a very nice update on m/m stack...hands down across the board. I have owned several audio gd products but not at the same time as the MD. My recommendation is to go with the A2. Really tough to beat at it's price point. I even saw one used for $190 here. That's a crazy deal. 

Thanks. I just read the new exciting upgrades for the bitfrost. Will be taking the plunge on the Asgard2/bitfrost towards the end of the summer. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #30 of 3,203
Quote:

tongue.gif

deadhorse.gif

Had the pleasure of listening to the mad dogs at the show last Saturday and honestly I agree with you I felt that they out beat every every headphone there the LCD-3, the dt 990, he-300, 400, 500. I really enjoyed the mids on the mad dogs, I  want to try them again at the L.A. meet before I commit to purchasing them plus I'm sort of bummed that they got bassier and the mids got weaker with the 3.2 version so I have heard so idk, ill probably wait to get them used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back