**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #46 of 3,203
Quote:
I liked the MD's better than the Denon's, but I'm sure part of that was being away from the Denon's for a year or so before I got the MD's.  Some of it was also the "unboosted" bass of the 3.0 version.  I had the 3.1-ish in a balanced prototype, and it was closer to the Denon's.  I've heard the D2000 a few times, and owned the D5000 and D7000, had both the D5000 and D7000 at the same time for a little while.  Over all, the D7000 is a bit more refined, a bit more treble without being objectionable, and much more bass slam, but boosted (slightly) bass.  It is also still the most beautiful headphone I have seen to date.  The MD isolates better, is more durable, looks steam-punk ugly, but in a really cool way, has my preferred bass signature, in that it seems more neutral to me - there when called for, not there when not required.  The MD is also half or less the price.  I always come back to value, and that is where the MD is so hard to beat for me.  To step up in sound signature, at least in a closed headphone, you have to pay a bunch more.  Still though, the signature is not for everyone, nor should it be.  It's definitely ok not to like them.  Ive come the the conclusion also, that when comparing to open cans, the disparity in some aspects of sound quality is larger.  Still, at $300, there are not many as good, and fewer that are better, at least to my ears.  A good used pair of HD650's @ $300 +/- will definitely give them a run for their money.  If you like the sound signature of the MD's or the HD650's, they are a very complimentary pair - open and closed, smooth, mildly dark, great detail, accuracy, comfort.  To me, as good as it gets at lower mid-fi prices.

This seems a very honest and accurate description to me. I do give value and comfort careful consideration when choosing a hp and spending my money. Since I don't ever wear anything but iem's outside, I don't care so much about looks. For me, it's 20% comfort, 20% value, 10% amping requirements and 50% sound signature...more or less. The MD gets high marks in those categories. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #47 of 3,203
Quote:
On my amp, I could hear the significant difference turning up from volume 1-10, but gradually after that on the Mad Dogs, it gets louder decreasingly. 

blink.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #48 of 3,203
Wow, just when I thought I was getting upgradeitis again, Dan comes to the rescue with the mad dog 3.2...
I'm not going to exaggerate and say it's a completely different headphone, but its different enough to stifle my upgradeitis :D

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #49 of 3,203
Everyday I go to the Garage1217 website and stare at the project ember amp. I want it, but there is ~1 review of it.

Then I tell myself to just pioneer it on the Mad Dogs. This thought leads to the delema of buying it outright or building the kit version to save a significant chunk of change but no 3 year warranty. It would be my first such project, though I do have the tools. However, only a basic skill set with them.

Stupid first world problems.

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #50 of 3,203
Ordered my Mad Dogs this morning. Should go good with my Lyr/Bifrost.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #52 of 3,203
Jun 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #53 of 3,203
Quote:
Everyday I go to the Garage1217 website and stare at the project ember amp. I want it, but there is ~1 review of it.

Then I tell myself to just pioneer it on the Mad Dogs. This thought leads to the delema of buying it outright or building the kit version to save a significant chunk of change but no 3 year warranty. It would be my first such project, though I do have the tools. However, only a basic skill set with them.

Stupid first world problems.

Do it, the Sunrise II works amazingly well with Mad Dogs!

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #54 of 3,203
Oh, here's a picture of the Mad Dogs I took the other day with my relatively new camera 
biggrin.gif

Listened to the new Daft Punk album and i must agree that it sounds glorious on the MDs.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #55 of 3,203
Quote:
Oh, here's a picture of the Mad Dogs I took the other day with my relatively new camera 
biggrin.gif

Listened to the new Daft Punk album and i must agree that it sounds glorious on the MDs.

Hey would you be willing to do a comparison between the 3.0 version of the mad dogs and the 3.2? Are the mids any different? I thought they sounded perfect on the 3.0.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #57 of 3,203
Quote:
Hey would you be willing to do a comparison between the 3.0 version of the mad dogs and the 3.2? Are the mids any different? I thought they sounded perfect on the 3.0.

Hmm, I would say the volume of the mids has been lowered just a bit. I was worried about missing the mids of the 3.0, but I wouldn't describe the 3.2 mids as lacking, but rather cleaned up. Now they don't sound overly thick and congested; everything's just cleaner now. I think the biggest improvement is in the 4k area though. I remember demo-ing the HE-5 and hearing certain details that weren't quite as prevalent on the 3.0, such as certain guitar chords, that are now more present on the 3.2 revision. It also makes female vocals a bit more forward. Overall I would say it's a better headphone now that it's departed from trying to sound exactly like the LCD2.
Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I told you people this weeks ago. 
size]

Heh, I generally don't listen to any modern American music though. I guess I'm just generally a bit behind the curve 
tongue.gif

I have "lose yourself to dance" stuck in my head right now though :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #58 of 3,203
While you're getting accustomed to some modern American music, may I also interest you in some George Watsky? Pretty incredible stuff. His live album doesn't sound half bad. Really, despite some poor recording techniques, none of his releases sound offensive to my ears and the Mad Dogs most certainly do them justice.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #59 of 3,203
Quote:
While you're getting accustomed to some modern American music, may I also interest you in some George Watsky? Pretty incredible stuff. His live album doesn't sound half bad. Really, despite some poor recording techniques, none of his releases sound offensive to my ears and the Mad Dogs most certainly do them justice.

Heh, sure. Which album would you recommend starting off with?

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #60 of 3,203
Quote:
Heh, sure. Which album would you recommend starting off with?

"Live From The Troubadour" is a good one. Or "Nothing Like The First Time." Or "Guilty Pleasures." Those are all really good albums.

Edit: Spelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back