**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #31 of 3,203
Quote:
Had the pleasure of listening to the mad dogs at the show last Saturday and honestly I agree with you I felt that they out beat every every headphone there the LCD-3, the dt 990, he-300, 400, 500. I really enjoyed the mids on the mad dogs, I  want to try them again at the L.A. meet before I commit to purchasing them plus I'm sort of bummed that they got bassier and the mids got weaker with the 3.2 version so I have heard so idk, ill probably wait to get them used.

Hm... I often feel like a crazy person in this Head-Fi game. For instance, I tried the HE-400 - didn't like them. I've tried the HE-500 - didn't like them. Then I tried the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads (~2 months back), didn't like them. I thought they sounded very closed in, a bit confused / congested sounding. Quite boring...

So, it's comments like yours (which I read often) that have me wondering if I should try them again. Then again, I did the same thing with the HE-400 - tried them once, sent them back. Then read a lot of hype over them, and wondered if I was crazy. Tried them again, still sent them back. I'm afraid of doing a repeat with the Mad Dogs (although this time I would re-sell as opposed to returning for refund).

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #32 of 3,203
Quote:
Hm... I often feel like a crazy person in this Head-Fi game. For instance, I tried the HE-400 - didn't like them. I've tried the HE-500 - didn't like them. Then I tried the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads (~2 months back), didn't like them. I thought they sounded very closed in, a bit confused / congested sounding. Quite boring...

So, it's comments like yours (which I read often) that have me wondering if I should try them again. Then again, I did the same thing with the HE-400 - tried them once, sent them back. Then read a lot of hype over them, and wondered if I was crazy. Tried them again, still sent them back. I'm afraid of doing a repeat with the Mad Dogs (although this time I would re-sell as opposed to returning for refund).

Lol I know what you mean honestly if you already tried them once I doubt you will like them any different the 2nd time, maybe you should look into trying something new or attending a meet and seeing what you like.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #35 of 3,203
Quote:
Had the pleasure of listening to the mad dogs at the show last Saturday and honestly I agree with you I felt that they out beat every every headphone there the LCD-3, the dt 990, he-300, 400, 500. I really enjoyed the mids on the mad dogs, I  want to try them again at the L.A. meet before I commit to purchasing them plus I'm sort of bummed that they got bassier and the mids got weaker with the 3.2 version so I have heard so idk, ill probably wait to get them used.

What exactly was the amp/dac that you listened through for the mad dogs?

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #36 of 3,203
Quote:

Hey if Denver CO isn't too far away for you, there's a meet coming up on 6/22 where we'll have the Mad Dog 3.2, Paradox T50rp, and TH900, as well as other headphones. I almost made the trip to Omaha for that 4/20 meet but ended up going to the NYC meet instead. Nothing personal against Omaha meant by that though.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #37 of 3,203
Quote:
^^^ Perhaps you should just plunge/try out the Fostex TH600/900?

I was about to say "Those are both above my price range," but then I checked just now...what? Did they drop in price? Like substantially? New TH900 for ~$1700? TH600 for ~$800-900? I might be able to afford the TH600 if that's the case. Maybe I read it wrong, but I was under the impression the TH600 was like...$1500 new? Or something like that.

I should say, I heard the TH900 at the local meet a few weeks back, and was very pleasantly surprised. I really liked it! More so than the LCD-3 that was there. I haven't read up on the TH600 or how it compares to the TH900, but if it is similar in performance, then I may just have to strongly consider the TH600.

Quote:

Hey if Denver CO isn't too far away for you, there's a meet coming up on 6/22 where we'll have the Mad Dog 3.2, Paradox T50rp, and TH900, as well as other headphones. I almost made the trip to Omaha for that 4/20 meet but ended up going to the NYC meet instead. Nothing personal against Omaha meant by that though.
wink.gif

Oh wow...I really do want to hear the Paradox. I didn't like the Mad Dog when I tried it, BUT there were a number of modded T50rp's at the Omaha meet, and I heard a couple of them that I really did like, so I haven't given up on the T50rp. Denver might be a challenge to swing though.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #38 of 3,203
WOW it would be nice for a warning before a thread is closed.  Or some kind of explanation as to why it was closed.  Oh well, what can you do?

Way to picki it right back up Matt..

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #42 of 3,203
Just got the stock cable cut down to a manageable length and replaced the jack with a nice viablue 1/4 plug. I'm liking it. 
size]

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #43 of 3,203

Don't feel bad, I had the exact same reaction to the MD's and love the Denons.

That said, I would like to put a new set of Mad Dogs with the supposedly better bass through my Kenwood vintage amp. Maybe at our next meet if someone brings a pair.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #44 of 3,203
Quote:
Don't feel bad, I had the exact same reaction to the MD's and love the Denons.

That said, I would like to put a new set of Mad Dogs with the supposedly better bass through my Kenwood vintage amp. Maybe at our next meet if someone brings a pair.

I liked the MD's better than the Denon's, but I'm sure part of that was being away from the Denon's for a year or so before I got the MD's.  Some of it was also the "unboosted" bass of the 3.0 version.  I had the 3.1-ish in a balanced prototype, and it was closer to the Denon's.  I've heard the D2000 a few times, and owned the D5000 and D7000, had both the D5000 and D7000 at the same time for a little while.  Over all, the D7000 is a bit more refined, a bit more treble without being objectionable, and much more bass slam, but boosted (slightly) bass.  It is also still the most beautiful headphone I have seen to date.  The MD isolates better, is more durable, looks steam-punk ugly, but in a really cool way, has my preferred bass signature, in that it seems more neutral to me - there when called for, not there when not required.  The MD is also half or less the price.  I always come back to value, and that is where the MD is so hard to beat for me.  To step up in sound signature, at least in a closed headphone, you have to pay a bunch more.  Still though, the signature is not for everyone, nor should it be.  It's definitely ok not to like them.  Ive come the the conclusion also, that when comparing to open cans, the disparity in some aspects of sound quality is larger.  Still, at $300, there are not many as good, and fewer that are better, at least to my ears.  A good used pair of HD650's @ $300 +/- will definitely give them a run for their money.  If you like the sound signature of the MD's or the HD650's, they are a very complimentary pair - open and closed, smooth, mildly dark, great detail, accuracy, comfort.  To me, as good as it gets at lower mid-fi prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back