**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #2,026 of 3,203
  So after owning a pair of MD's for over a month now. I feel like the highs are way too sharp for me. It's to the point where it hurts a bit. I've also recently bought a pair of Amperior's and I'm not just using those almost exclusively. So with all that said, two questions:

1) What are the differences in sound between MD and Amperior?
2) Anyone else have issues with sharp and/or painful highs with the MD?

That should never be the case.  Please PM me and we'll send you a replacement set, return the old ones when you get the new.

Agreed!
The Mad Dogs are one of the most un-offensive headphones I've tried with regards to upper-mids and highs.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2,027 of 3,203
When would be the best period to get my Mad Dogs 3.2 SE upgraded to an Alpha Dog Universal? Has all the Alpha Dog fanfare died down yet? 

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2,028 of 3,203
On www.mrspeakers.com there's an upgrade list link on the lower left, you can sign for the upgrades there, there's no obligation to get in the queue.  We'll start upgrades in Jan.  There's a rather long list, so it won't be instant.  
popcorn.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,029 of 3,203
On www.mrspeakers.com there's an upgrade list link on the lower left, you can sign for the upgrades there, there's no obligation to get in the queue.  We'll start upgrades in Jan.  There's a rather long list, so it won't be instant.  
:popcorn:  

Can you upgrade other modded T50RPs to alpha dog? Or Stock T50RP? I'm thinking about getting a ZMF T50RP for now because its 100$ less than a Mad Dog, but id like to upgrade to the Alpha Dog down the road.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,031 of 3,203
  Sorry, we don't upgrade other phones or stock T50s to Alphas.  

P.S. Your "bargain" approach would be to buy a used Mad Dog and upgrade later.  You don't have to be the original owner to upgrade.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,032 of 3,203
I have a quick question... I've got a Bottlehead Crack OTL headphone amp, which I use with a pair of Sennheiser HD-600's.  I think I have to send the HD-600's out for repair (intermittent sound dropouts), and I'm thinking of getting another pair of headphones to listen to while I'm waiting for the HD-600's to be fixed or replaced.

Has anyone listened to the Mad Dogs through an OTL amp like the Bottlehead Crack? Any thoughts on whether this might be a nice match would be appreciated. I'm not too experienced in matching amps with headphones, having just gotten into this hobby about a year ago. Thanks in advance.

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #2,033 of 3,203
I don't have the Crack anymore but have his bigger brother S.E.X. and while I didn't try Mad Dogs but tried demo pair of Alpha Dogs and I like the sound when using provided SE cable.

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,035 of 3,203

P.S. Your "bargain" approach would be to buy a used Mad Dog and upgrade later.  You don't have to be the original owner to upgrade.

And time to look at my signature!! LOL! :wink:

True dat. But all it takes is $80 sony acid pro or torrent it for free. I started 4 yars ago and thought the same thing you did. Had a friend show me the ropes and now I'm signed to 3 record labels and have 20 songs selling on beatport. Paid for at least half muh schiit.

Hopefully with the money you've done you paid for your music software right!?!?

:rolleyes:

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,036 of 3,203
  I have a quick question... I've got a Bottlehead Crack OTL headphone amp, which I use with a pair of Sennheiser HD-600's.  I think I have to send the HD-600's out for repair (intermittent sound dropouts), and I'm thinking of getting another pair of headphones to listen to while I'm waiting for the HD-600's to be fixed or replaced.

Has anyone listened to the Mad Dogs through an OTL amp like the Bottlehead Crack? Any thoughts on whether this might be a nice match would be appreciated. I'm not too experienced in matching amps with headphones, having just gotten into this hobby about a year ago. Thanks in advance.

Personally didn't like the pairing with the BH Crack. Too mellow, and too rounded. The OTL mismatch and the double warmth is probably the culprit. I wouldn't advise getting the MD if all you have to amp them is an OTL amp. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,037 of 3,203

Personally didn't like the pairing with the BH Crack. Too mellow, and too rounded. The OTL mismatch and the double warmth is probably the culprit. I wouldn't advise getting the MD if all you have to amp them is an OTL amp. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I've got the on-board amp (BPA2) on my Benchmark DAC2 that I could use, I suppose. I wasn't a big fan of that amp for the HD-600's, but maybe it would sound decent for the Mad Dogs.  Any thoughts on that one?

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2,038 of 3,203

Thanks for the suggestion. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I've got the on-board amp (BPA2) on my Benchmark DAC2 that I could use, I suppose. I wasn't a big fan of that amp for the HD-600's, but maybe it would sound decent for the Mad Dogs.  Any thoughts on that one?

I've never tried the Benchmark's amp section, but I would suspect it would do better than the Crack. There are quite a few budget options that will drive the MD with authority if you were willing to spend $100-200. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back