**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #2,041 of 3,203
True dat. But all it takes is $80 sony acid pro or torrent it for free. I started 4 yars ago and thought the same thing you did. Had a friend show me the ropes and now I'm signed to 3 record labels and have 20 songs selling on beatport. Paid for at least half muh schiit.

I'll give it a go. Is that the recommended software? Where do you get samples from?

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2,042 of 3,203

P.S. Your "bargain" approach would be to buy a used Mad Dog and upgrade later.  You don't have to be the original owner to upgrade.

Seriously, you are the man .... This just one of the reasons why you'll have a loyal customer base for a very long time .....

If you did not catch the remark, Gelocks has a used pair available in the bottom of his post, and since the upgrade will be $300, you will save $80.  Win for everyone.

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,045 of 3,203
What is turnaround time like at the moment for upgrades from older versions of the MD to more current editions? I have two lying around (a V2 and a V3.2), and I've been enjoying my old V2 a lot less lately.

Also, can somebody refresh me about the differences between the V3.2 and the Universal?

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2,046 of 3,203
  Also, can somebody refresh me about the differences between the V3.2 and the Universal?

V3.2 is just upgrades of pads to Alpha Pads, and then tuning to 3.2 standard.

Universal changes the connection jack from the Fostex stock one to a new one (same jack as used on Alpha Dogs), and then you need to buy either a Balanced Cable or a Single Ended (1/4-inch) Cable from MrSpeakers.

Even if you get the single-ended, it gives you a heavier-duty cable and connection point, and the capability to use balanced in the future (hence "Universal").

It may all be a "moot point" now that there is Alpha Dog, since most people who are going to use balanced or custom cables and so forth are just going to opt for the Alpha Dog, while the Mad Dog is more for those on a budget, who are not going to want the extra $100 expense.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,047 of 3,203
Thanks, I had forgotten whether the Universal was just a connection change or if it had further musical tuning. I think I'm going to upgrade my V2 to V3.2 and upgrade my V3.2 to an Alpha whenever the wait goes down enough.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2,048 of 3,203
  Thanks, I had forgotten whether the Universal was just a connection change or if it had further musical tuning. I think I'm going to upgrade my V2 to V3.2 and upgrade my V3.2 to an Alpha whenever the wait goes down enough.

Actually, you will save $30 plus one shipping cost to just upgrade your V2 to Alpha Dogs (The V2 upgrade is $90, The 3.2 to Alpha upgrade is $300 and the V2 to Alpha upgrade is $360).

The reason is that you are then doing one upgrade instead of two.

If you are planning to do an Alpha Dog upgrade, you need to get on the wait list as soon as possible.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2,049 of 3,203
  Actually, you will save $30 plus one shipping cost to just upgrade your V2 to Alpha Dogs (The V2 upgrade is $90, The 3.2 to Alpha upgrade is $300 and the V2 to Alpha upgrade is $360).

The reason is that you are then doing one upgrade instead of two.

If you are planning to do an Alpha Dog upgrade, you need to get on the wait list as soon as possible.

I just have an irrational desire to upgrade both headphones, but you're probably right.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,050 of 3,203
hi everybody,

recently i wanted to buy some headphone, after lots of reading and comparisons, i was stuck between the v-moda m-100 and the mad dogs, and thanks to lots of help and advice from head-fiers, and according to my requirements i ended up getting the mad dogs v3.2 with alpha pads + O2 amp, i would still like to hear the m-100 but i will put it aside for now, i have been using the mad dogs may be 3 days till now, and i wanted to share my opinion with you,

it won't be very technical or anywhere professional, as iam an amateur in this field, but iam going to try to share my experience as a normal user and what i felt.

Comfort : first the mad dogs are very comfortable, may be a bit heavy on the head but not to an annoying level, so really enjoyed the comfort here specially with the alpha pads !

Sound unamped : well i tried it with an ipod classic, ipad 3 and sanddisk clip+

this is the first time i used the headphones, first thing i notice the quality is very nice and it has a nice beat to it although the volume is somehow low, i don't imagine using it always unamped, but for certain times if you need it portable i think it will do the job.

Sound amped : first i don't have too much experience with other headphones, but the sound was very impressive and detailed, actually i was afraid before getting it that too much flat sound would turn out to be analytical, i didn't want something analytical, but on the contrary it turned out to be more on the fun side, with an awesome bass to it, so it sounded very nice, my brother just ordered denon d600 and fidelio x1, may be when i get to hear them i will give a better opinion related to other headphones.

i bought the O2 with it, and i already have a leckerton uha-4 and i was advised that it will not be powerful enough to drive them.

i tried it with both, and its very obvious that both amps have a different sound signature with something to love in both.

Both give a nice loud level of volume that covers my required level, but the uha-4 is maxed on hi-gain, while the O2 is 80% on high gain.

Leckerton uha-4 : it has a smaller sound stage with a bit forward aggressive treble and punchier bass, but the bright treble is too much on high volumes that i think is fatiguing and won't last long time listening to it.

O2 : much wider sound stage with an airy feeling to it, better sound quality and details than the uha-4, also the treble lacks this sparkle given by uha-4, but the ideal would be in between them because the uha-4 is too bright.

the bass here is still awesome considered it is less punchier than the uha-4, but i have noticed something strange, trying to listen on low gain and hi gain by matching volume levels (ex: low gain full volume against high gain 60 65%), on the high gain it gives much more punchier and powerful bass on same hearing level, i don't know if there is an explanation or not but thats what i felt.

well sorry for making it long, it is a very nice headphone, iam enjoying it so much, and i think you have a lot of mixing and matching to do before getting the best out of it.

thats just my bare opinion if someone see that iam wrong please correct me, iam not a professional in any way :D

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2,051 of 3,203
^^^^ Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Mad Dog family !!

I think you made a great decision. You'll find that the MD's are truly gifted in how you can play with them and add power to get a really rich full sound in a closed, isolated, comfortable headphone. 

When you do get around to mixing and matching them against other amps you'll really get a good idea of what they can do. I spend a LOT of time with mine and I have yet to be disappointed in their performance.

Happy listening !!

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,052 of 3,203
I'm not sure if I posted it in this thread, but the new Schiit Vali tube hybrid amp pairs well with the Mad Dogs.   It's a good choice for the Mad Dogs in its $119 price range.  (Before ordering, be sure to note the disclaimer on the page about "microphonics".)

One of the characteristics of the Mad Dogs is a shallow soundstage - regardless of electronics.  So, one weak point of the Vali - shallow soundstage - is irrelevant with the Mad Dog, since it cannot reproduce soundstage depth.

Both the Mad Dog and the Vali are very good as revealing "micro-detail", so those strong points also coincide and work together.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,053 of 3,203
kingdixon: congrats on the purchase! And welcome to Head-Fi, and to the Mad Dogs group. Glad you are enjoying your new headphones too. I also thought mine sounded quite good out of the iPod, but it gets better with more amping.

I'm not sure if I posted it in this thread, but the new Schiit Vali tube hybrid amp pairs well with the Mad Dogs.   It's a good choice for the Mad Dogs in its $119 price range.  (Before ordering, be sure to note the disclaimer on the page about "microphonics".)

One of the characteristics of the Mad Dogs is a shallow soundstage - regardless of electronics.  So, one weak point of the Vali - shallow soundstage - is irrelevant with the Mad Dog, since it cannot reproduce soundstage depth.

Both the Mad Dog and the Vali are very good as revealing "micro-detail", so those strong points also coincide and work together.

Totally agree. I think it was Dan who said that he enjoys this pairing as well? And better than MD + Magni, IIRC. 
I now try to spend some time listening to music on the MD + Vali every night...and that's something I actually never did with my previous headphones!

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2,054 of 3,203

the bass here is still awesome considered it is less punchier than the uha-4, but i have noticed something strange, trying to listen on low gain and hi gain by matching volume levels (ex: low gain full volume against high gain 60 65%), on the high gain it gives much more punchier and powerful bass on same hearing level, i don't know if there is an explanation or not but thats what i felt.

I am not sure what your gain settings are at with the O2. I think mine came stock with 2.5x and 6x, but I know some dealers configure it differently. The high gain setting on mine produced audible distortion with the Mad Dog or any other T50RP, IIRC. I actually got the best results changing it to 1x/2.5x and running it at 1x. Cleaner, smoother sound, still plenty of power.

If you're referring to the UHA-4's gain setting, then I can say I run the high gain setting on my UHA-6S Mk.II. The low gain just wouldn't drive the MD very loudly.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2,055 of 3,203
  ^^^^ Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Mad Dog family !!

I think you made a great decision. You'll find that the MD's are truly gifted in how you can play with them and add power to get a really rich full sound in a closed, isolated, comfortable headphone. 

When you do get around to mixing and matching them against other amps you'll really get a good idea of what they can do. I spend a LOT of time with mine and I have yet to be disappointed in their performance.

Happy listening !!

kingdixon: congrats on the purchase! And welcome to Head-Fi, and to the Mad Dogs group. Glad you are enjoying your new headphones too. I also thought mine sounded quite good out of the iPod, but it gets better with more amping.

Thanks to you guys.

I am not sure what your gain settings are at with the O2. I think mine came stock with 2.5x and 6x, but I know some dealers configure it differently. The high gain setting on mine produced audible distortion with the Mad Dog or any other T50RP, IIRC. I actually got the best results changing it to 1x/2.5x and running it at 1x. Cleaner, smoother sound, still plenty of power.

Well thats interesting, because i thought it should be louder than that, i guess i will have to open and check it.

On O2 high gain of 6x what percent was loud enough for you ?  i know volume is very related to each person but i can go on high gain with the knob to 90 95% which is loud but nothing deafing about it or may be on the long run :D , and also i don't think there is huge distortion ?? so either its modified or iam already deaf :D

well for the leckerton i max volume on high gain but thats for the uha-4 , i dont know about the uha-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back