MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #931 of 2,843
Hello, I just discovered this thread!

So I am in a hunt for spacious wide sound stage phones and not sure if I am supposed to go with Ether or HE1000. Currently I am using LCD3 which I love its creamy and thick sound signature. I am afraid that Ether might be daed natural and thin sounding. Is there a review anywhere? How it is compared with the HE1000?

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #932 of 2,843
Jun 5, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #933 of 2,843
  Hello, I just discovered this thread!

So I am in a hunt for spacious wide sound stage phones and not sure if I am supposed to go with Ether or HE1000. Currently I am using LCD3 which I love its creamy and thick sound signature. I am afraid that Ether might be daed natural and thin sounding. Is there a review anywhere? How it is compared with the HE1000?

Search for my posts in this thread (Search Thread at the top, then Advanced Search - Search by username).

It isn't thin-sounding, but it wont be as thick-sounding as your LCD-3s -- lighter in the bass, mids and treble.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #934 of 2,843

Not a problem. I'll be using the he10, lyr 2 with NOS tubes and my vintage Sansui au-717. Should be rocking the Ether by this time tomorrow. 
wink.gif

Ooooohhh 
popcorn.gif
 Tomorrow will be very interesting. HE-1000/Ether comparisons is icing on the cake.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #935 of 2,843

Ooooohhh 
popcorn.gif
 Tomorrow will be very interesting. HE-1000/Ether comparisons is icing on the cake.

+1.

I am hugely curious if the HE1000 offers enough above the Ether to justify being twice the price. Also keen to hear from modded HE6 owners on how the HE1000 compares to that headphone.

At 3K the HE1000 needs to perform at an extraordinarily high level to justify the pricetag, I think.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #936 of 2,843

+1.

I am hugely curious if the HE1000 offers enough above the Ether to justify being twice the price. Also keen to hear from modded HE6 owners on how the HE1000 compares to that headphone.

At 3K the HE1000 needs to perform at an extraordinarily high level to justify the pricetag, I think.

Absolutely. Most of us aren't price is no object purchasers and if I was to go above the price point of the Ether, it would have to be a significant difference, not just subtle and nuanced. Double the cost should make an obvious difference.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #937 of 2,843
Absolutely. Most of us aren't price is no object purchasers and if I was to go above the price point of the Ether, it would have to be a significant difference, not just subtle and nuanced. Double the cost should make an obvious difference.

+1 Well said, I wish I could say price in no problem. I am fortunate to participate in the HE1K beta program, and they sound very nice, however I have pre-ordered the Ether's and if the sound very nice, I will sell the HE1K to my uncle. Just because a headphone is twice as expensive, does not imply its twice as good. I will write up my comparisons, once I get the Ether, at the end of the month. I think MattTCG will be listening to the HE1K and the Ether's this weekend and doing write up soon too. These are amazing times for headphones.:)

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #943 of 2,843
I'm seriously interested in the Ether. A question for Mr. Speaker's customers, how are quality control issues? I ask with the HiFi Man experience in mind where there are numerous accounts of quality control issues, and with several accounts of repeated product defects where the owner is stuck with down time, and has to spend money shipping the product in for repair. While I loved the sound quality of the 560, I'm not sure I want to take a chance with HFM quality control for my next planar. The Ether sounds like a great headphone so if quality control is better I am even more interested.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #944 of 2,843
  I'm seriously interested in the Ether. A question for Mr. Speaker's customers, how are quality control issues? I ask with the HiFi Man experience in mind where there are numerous accounts of quality control issues, and with several accounts of repeated product defects where the owner is stuck with down time, and has to spend money shipping the product in for repair. While I loved the sound quality of the 560, I'm not sure I want to take a chance with HFM quality control for my next planar. The Ether sounds like a great headphone so if quality control is better I am even more interested.

I have not run into much problem with regard to quality control with previous Mr. Speakers products, but of course this is a ground up project which introduces a whole new realm of potential problems. While it is pretty early, let me say this. The Ether is an incredibly well thought out design. The execution of the design in terms of fit, finish and materials are some of the very best I've seen. I grilled Dan for about the better part of an hour at the Nashville meet about the build quality. One thing I came away with from that conversation was just how important build quality was to his process. He has scrutinized every last piece and screw and considered how each piece connects to the whole. I was impressed then as I am now that they are in my hands. 

I've only seen one other company in this arena truly impress this much right of the gate in the first time/ground up headphone game...Oppo. So.....I wouldn't worry to much about quality control or build quality...it's stellar. If I run across anything to contradict this I'll be sure to post back. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #945 of 2,843

I have not run into much problem with regard to quality control with previous Mr. Speakers products, but of course this is a ground up project which introduces a whole new realm of potential problems. While it is pretty early, let me say this. The Ether is an incredibly well thought out design. The execution of the design in terms of fit, finish and materials are some of the very best I've seen. I grilled Dan for about the better part of an hour at the Nashville meet about the build quality. One thing I came away with from that conversation was just how important build quality was to his process. He has scrutinized every last piece and screw and considered how each piece connects to the whole. I was impressed then as I am now that they are in my hands. 

I've only seen one other company in this arena truly impress this much right of the gate in the first time/ground up headphone game...Oppo. So.....I wouldn't worry to much about quality control or build quality...it's stellar. If I run across anything to contradict this I'll be sure to post back. 

Thanks Matt.  Also, Peter was very involved in working through manufacturing issues as part of the design process, and Jason is a killer mechanical engineer.  Our yields so far have exceeded 95%, which is way better than I had hoped.  Doing the pre-production run really helped shake-out minor issues.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back